Which Cartridges (groan....) but simple question!

86inch

I've been using Gamebore Clear Pigeon 30g/6 fibre wad for my pigeon shooting which i'm generally happy with but its all i've ever used being a new shooter. But i'm now almost out..

For an extra £15/1000 is the Lyalvale Express Pigeon Special 30g/6 a better buy?

Anyone used both and can comment?

This is a difficult question , because if you sat a dozen pigeon shooters around the table and asked the same question you are likely to get a dozen different answers and all of them right.

As others have said there is little to chose between most modern shells. We all have our favoured cartridge mainly due to a bit of luck when we have shot straight. I bought a job lot of about 1000 cartridges a few years ago , all broken boxes very cheap. There were about a dozen brands and shot sizes vaired between 7s and 5s and I cant say i noticed the difference in killing power for decoying though range was a small problem with the 7s while roost shooting at 50+ yards. I did find some difference in recoil , only a slight problem if i had a big day , but they all killed well. The only shell I would avoid would be D&Gs , mainly because they are so dirty and if i had restrict myself to one brand it would be Eley pigeon HBs , though RIO Trap 28 gr in no 6 are also very good and cheaper than most shells.

Not quite the same story if you use steel , while i have not used the new Express 32 gr loads which some on here have said were good , but the old ones were pretty poor. In contrast I found the gamebore 32 gr steel very good.

Edited by anser2

I've been using Gamebore Clear Pigeon 30g/6 fibre wad for my pigeon shooting which i'm generally happy with but its all i've ever used being a new shooter. But i'm now almost out..

For an extra £15/1000 is the Lyalvale Express Pigeon Special 30g/6 a better buy?

Anyone used both and can comment?

nothing wrong with either of them, but i tend to go for the clear pigeon

just to throw another shell into the hat is hull super fast 29g 6, in my opinion they are a brilliant shell for a so called budget end pigeon shell

I've used lots of brands I do like the eley pigeon I found he rc carts kick quit a bit at the moment I'm using fiocchi 32 gram 6 they are good but you get more noise with them than other carts I've used even the farmer noticed the difference in the sound when shooting but what ever does the job

• 1 month later...

For me the new clear pigeon carts in the black cases certainly dont preform like the older ones did. We cut them open and had a look in them, hard to tell wether the power was different but the plas wad certainly was. gamebore said to me they were exactly the same when i spoke with them,they were lieing. They still kill most reasonable range pigeons ok though, but they have lost the extra 15 yards they used to have ,for regular killing at 50 yards like they used to have. last year changed to shooting Victory starlights 32gram 6 shot. For me they are alot better. But they cost me £226 per thou :sad1:

In my opinion, probably all cartridges nowadays are good. What with modern manufacturing processes and powders etc, there's nothing between them. Not like ,about 30 years ago, when it would make a difference.

I use a 12 gauge. So, all I want is 12 gauge cartridges. Whether they are 28gms or 32gms. Or No5 shot, 6 , 6.5 or No7 shot, I'm not bothered. Whatever is cheapest when I walk in the shop.

Simple, if you point the gun in the right direction, you will hit it. Cartridge make has no effect on whether you hit or miss.

Just my opinion, like I said. :whistling:

In my opinion, probably all cartridges nowadays are good. What with modern manufacturing processes and powders etc, there's nothing between them. Not like ,about 30 years ago, when it would make a difference.

I use a 12 gauge. So, all I want is 12 gauge cartridges. Whether they are 28gms or 32gms. Or No5 shot, 6 , 6.5 or No7 shot, I'm not bothered. Whatever is cheapest when I walk in the shop.

Simple, if you point the gun in the right direction, you will hit it. Cartridge make has no effect on whether you hit or miss.

Just my opinion, like I said. :whistling:

Pretty good opinion I recon mate :yes:

So long as it suitable for your gun chamber has lead in it and goes bang when you pull the trigger load it!!

Gun or cartridge is rarely the cause of a miss its the idiot behind the trigger pointing it!! FACT