Anyone carry a shotgun and a rifle?

thepasty

Hi guys

Recently when I've been out there have been many occasions where the likes of crow have been on the ground out of shotgun range (and they know it) yet easily within 17hmr range, I've found myself wishing I'd brought the rifle along but still need to have the shotgun for anything in the air.

Has anyone tried carrying both, rifle on back for the odd occasion where it would come in handy? My thoughts is that it would defo be handy but you're carrying extra weight and might be unwieldy?

cheers

Steve

I don't shoot rifles but often when fowling i have the 10 loaded with some big cartridges for any geese that might stray in range

And have the 12 fr the duck

10s just abit heavy to swing onto the teal flicking past

A good friend of myne oftwn brings his 17 when we are decoying, for those peaky pigeons that land just out of range or if any rabbits appear

Edited by TJ91

Used to do this occassionally,but it got to be too much hassle.Now we do as others;one with rifle,one with shotgun.Was almost tempted by a 'combination' set up at one time as a local bloke I know had a Savage combination gun set up as 12 bore/.22Magnum for sale some time ago which was interesting..Another shooting aquaintance has a beautiful Winchester 101 actioned 12 bore under a .308 barrel.Absolutely gorgeous!

If i just go for a walk around i always seem to have the wrong gun with me. Shotgun = stuff on floor while rifle = birds in the air. I have tried in a hide taking both, but usually find that swapping them back and fore as required frightens too many quarry. Another thing it's too awkward carrying two guns out of the hide to pick up or whatever, as for safety reasons you never know 100 % if anybody is close by watching you. Whenever i leave the hide i always take the gun, car keys and mobile with me.

I used to have a .22/.410 combo which was great for taking walkabout. I sold it to fund another gun, wish I hadn't!!!

Father in law had one of those, when he died I didn't have FAC so family sold it to a chap up the road, every time I see him he tells me what a lovely gun it is and how many times he has filled the pot with it when walking the hedgerows.

I don't shoot rifles but often when fowling i have the 10 loaded with some big cartridges for any geese that might stray in range

And have the 12 fr the duck

10s just abit heavy to swing onto the teal flicking past

A good friend of myne oftwn brings his 17 when we are decoying, for those peaky pigeons that land just out of range or if any rabbits appear

Flippin eck you must have more muscles than Arnie and less brains than Stallone to carry both of them out on a marsh. Not to mention other gear you'd need.

Shame uk law makes drillings and combo guns so difficult...... 16g SxS over a CF is handy or a 20 with .22LR......

If you had an SGC and FAC I don't see why it couldn't go down on the most restricted part I.e. the rimfire or CF

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Combination-Gun/Finnclassic-512S-gun-for-sale-gs84493.aspx

Edited by HDAV

I carry my hmr and shotgun most times when im out rough shooting, on monday when i was out i shot 4 rabbits and a squirrel with the rifle. I prefer using the rifle for rabbits as it doesnt spoil the meat which i prefer as it goes to my dads ferrets.

It does make it a lot heavier carrying all the kit but the benefits are worth it.

Shane

The .410 plus .22 sounds like a great gun for hedgerow walking, which is my favourite type of shooting anyway. Think i will keep my eye out when i eventually get round to getting my FAC.

This one will no doubnt be gone by then...

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Combination-Gun/Baikal-gun-for-sale-gs57890.aspx

This is quite cool too, 410 and 22wmr... I understand that ballistic tip rounds are now the norm for wmr and helps to reduce the ricochets?

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Remington_Combination-Gun_SPR94_For-Sale_100507143647001

20g and 22lr

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Baikal_Combination-Gun_IZH-94-Sever_For-Sale_121009091316001