working nights

Big Marty

Anybody else out there work nights and if you do how long have you been doing it,and do you prefer it to days..My Manager has asked me would I like to go back to days but really not sure,money is better on nights but more hassles.....

I swap from days to nights on a conti rotation. On days today so yes there is less hassle on nights and better money, but I find I feel better having a stint on overtime if its done on days rather than nights. Given the chance if I didn't loose to much money I would take the days job.

Best get my *** to work :(

All the best

Karl.

i used to do nights on the roads,not regular but say one week in every 6 weeks or so.the time and half was a nice bonus,also if we went for it we could get a flier on the last couple of nights.the best nights were single night jobs were i'd day a day shift,then nip home for dinner,then do a night shift and then work the next day to,making me an extra day and halfs wages :good:

I've done day/night shifts for the past 6 years (alternate months) and I hate them. The work is easy on nights, but I cannot sleep during the day. I get around 3.5 hours sleep, if I'm lucky. My shifts are usually 4 x 13 hours, so after doing the four, I'm shattered. I work 13 shifts a month, so I do get a lot of time off.

permanent nights for eleven years now = 4 shifts per week so get approx 4-5 hrs sleep a day lets me have time for garden ,dogs, ferreting etc and can be out and about during the day if wanted by the farmer :good: down side = family and friends think i'am available to help out at any time but they tend to forget I do need some sleep :sad1:

Night shift workers suffer a higher risk of heart disease. Fact !!! Impacts on family life and social life. Personal health is affected in other ways also.

You do receive an allowance but does it fully compensated for the negatives???

If I could stop perm night's I would and manage with the little allowance

permanent nights for eleven years now = 4 shifts per week so get approx 4-5 hrs sleep a day lets me have time for garden ,dogs, ferreting etc and can be out and about during the day if wanted by the farmer :good: down side = family and friends think i'am available to help out at any time but they tend to forget I do need some sleep :sad1:

That is 100% true.. My friends and family will ring me at 12pm and ask me can I do this go there,and when you say your in bed you get at this time of the day...

Night shift workers suffer a higher risk of heart disease. Fact !!! Impacts on family life and social life. Personal health is affected in other ways also.

You do receive an allowance but does it fully compensated for the negatives???

If I could stop perm night's I would and manage with the little allowance

I don't get an allowance for working night shifts, just basic rate per hour. It's in my works contract that I/we have to sign.

Even though I find night shifts hard (well the day after) I would'nt swop them at all. Plus, the 12.5 hour shifts that I do, means that I only have to work 13 shifts to get my basic pay.

i once worked for a motorway recovery team,i was based in the radio shack at the side of the m62..i worked 6-6 nights.......wait for it....for 11 months 7 nights a week..not one night off. i asked for a sunday night off cos my mate was getting married.....the answer was no.......went to the wedding and never went back......always struggled with sleeping during the day...wouldnt fancy it again

mikky

worked shifts for 40 + years nights get harder the older you get, great when your young but they are taking lumps out of you and you dont realise, they reckon shifts take about 10 years off your life, I reckon thats about right.

KW

Edited by kdubya