Lambs being killed by crows, help required!

Gibbybox

Hi folks. We're in the middle of lambing on the farm at the moment which is going well considering the weather conditions!

However, we have a problem with new born lambs being pecked to death by what I can only assume is crows? It may be a buzzard though I'd have thought it would have ripped the lamb apart instead of just picking at its eyes and back end...

I'm thinking of placing a dead lamb covered in fresh afterbirth in the same spot and hide in a nearby wood to tempt the ******* to come in again and I'll gave them some 32g 6s to worry about. Any tips on method? I don't actually have any decoys so will be relying on a fair bit of luck, or do you think that it's a waste of time?

Thanks in advance!

Gibby

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be wrong,and as tempting as I know it is, I seem to recall the use of dead livestock as 'bait' is illegal.You could possibly use dead rabbits with opened bellies,but with a lot of available food at lambing time I'm not sure how effective this may be.

Have a check before you use livestock,as I may be wrong.

On one of my permissions, the farmer has lost at least 12 lambs to Crows,so far. There's also a few still alive with an eye missing. One lamb had it's tongue pecked almost off, as it was being born. Tyring to shoot the Crows is very difficult, as they are so clever. I've tried getting them with the shotgun and also ,17HMR and .22-250. But, after one shot, they all ****** off and don't come back. I can't get at their roosting site as it's in the forestry, which I and many other shooters are not allowed to enter with any guns.

My mate and I are going to try again tomorrow morning.

On the land on which we have our rough-shoot,the landowner hasn't lost any lambs to crows as yet,but a couple of years ago one of his prize-winning sheep was blinded in both eyes after getting on its back and not being discovered until it was too late.He hates them with a passion.

Like steve b,we have tried RF,CF and shotguns,and although it has the effect of scaring the things for that moment,unless you're prepared to put the time in to decoy,they simply move elsewhere out of range,and come back when you're gone.We know where they roost,but don't have permission(the noise and spectacle when they set out first thing is something to see)to shoot there.

He is sowing spring barley sometime this week so perhaps that will focus their attention elsewhere for a while and give us the chance to decoy them.

On the land on which we have our rough-shoot,the landowner hasn't lost any lambs to crows as yet,but a couple of years ago one of his prize-winning sheep was blinded in both eyes after getting on its back and not being discovered until it was too late.He hates them with a passion.

Like steve b,we have tried RF,CF and shotguns,and although it has the effect of scaring the things for that moment,unless you're prepared to put the time in to decoy,they simply move elsewhere out of range,and come back when you're gone.We know where they roost,but don't have permission(the noise and spectacle when they set out first thing is something to see)to shoot there.

He is sowing spring barley sometime this week so perhaps that will focus their attention elsewhere for a while and give us the chance to decoy them.

Similar with us, up until yesterday 5 lost and that's withe sevral of us decoying like loons for the last couple or 3 weeks, it will be a continued attack throughout the year and ladder traps early next year!

Anything to reduce the numbers to be honest. Just as a bonus, they've had a couple of ravens turn up too, their method of attack appears to be to tear the throat open!!!

****** things, I've tried everything, 2nd best option for me is shooting from our windows with a RF, our pastures sit around our house, 1st option is I have a dog that doesn't bother sheep, but chases birds....sounds nuts but it works, he just effs about in the field and its made a huge difference.

Sorry to hear about the problem, Gibby, such is not pleasant when stock is involved.

At the moment the farm where I shoot is suffering with recently drilled spring grain - loads of small green/white shoots lying all over with one, if not two, fields sorely hit.

Guess what - it's our own (the farmer/vermin and the game shooters [if applicable]) fault. Hands up all those who get issued cartridges by the farmer to go after the black ones. Hands up all those farm workers are detailed for rook shooting on a regular basis. Hands up all the vermin shooters who go pigeon shooting on the stubble while the rooks are on the beans or have a walk about for pheasant, assuming permission, while the black ones are decoyable on the stubble. Hands up all of the game shooters who put in an appearance after the season ends. I'm guilty. Now we're in a muddle and it's going to take a almighty effort to get the numbers down to an acceptable level and particularly as Steve says, they roost where we can't get.

Traps work while your not about! I am having a pre-lambing issue here. Silage goes out and sheep nuts, the crows love them nuts but even though I wait in the hedge with the shotgun while nuts are going out its one shot and they are off. rifle is not a great option as although the crows come back in ones and twos the sheep are always to close for comfort. its illegal to use a live decoy but lambs can be left in the field a while if they are already dead and dead is not a problem

Thanks for the response, I knew a few on here would be affected by this problem as well! Safe to say my dad's not a happy chappy either.

Stokie, I'm in Scotland though not sure how this affects things?

I'll have a go shooting them tomorrow and will keep an eye out to see where they roost. I've not had my license for very long so am keen to get out with the gun anyway!

Wish me luck...

To be honest all you can hope to do now is keep the blighters on the move until the lambs are on their feet, they are then much safer. They get clobbered literally as born while still wet. We had one where the evil ******** had taken the back end out of it, it was still alive when found! :mad: Poor little sod!

Edited by -Mongrel-

Seems to be some confusion here-if there is enough birds leaving the roost site to make a din then they are Rooks and not crows-Crows live solitary lives most of the time.Rooks ,in my experience,are not interested in killing-they might peck at a carcass but spend most of their time eating insects and seeds.

Edited by bruno22rf

Seems to be some confusion here-if there is enough birds leaving the roost site to make a din then they are Rooks and not crows-Crows live solitary lives most of the time.Rooks ,in my experience,are not interested in killing-they might peck at a carcass but spend most of their time eating insects and seeds.

To be honest the majority of those birds coming from roost are Jackdaws,but there are certainly Crows amongst them.

First light is usually the best time to get at crows, they dont seem as cautious.

I find the best way is a slow drive round with a 4x4, crows are used to seeing slow farm vehicles, rifle out of the drivers and or passengers window and you are in business.

Also the farmer will be feeding these ewes in troughs, these will attract crows etc once the sheep have finished. Get into place before the food is put in.

A

Gibby I do fox control in South Lanarkshire and surrounding areas be careful I know that on some of our farms its Ravens doing the damage so make sure you have a positive I D on your target before you pull the trigger. Pm me for my number if you need more info.

Was just going to suggest it was perhaps ravens doing the damage. Three years ago we had real problems with ravens - lambs and ewes being targeted, lots of lambs killed, lambing ewes having their eyes pecked out and their rear ends pecked to bits.

I recorded some footage of the damage of the eyeless sheep and dead lambs and went to SEERAD and was granted a license. Was then shown on the local news also. Then I went to work with the .308!

Think it is perhaps SNH that deal with the license now. If its ravens get postive ID and get a license and sort 'em out!

It's better if you can shoot from the car. But you must put a pair of glasses.

Crows have the best eyes sight as we all know the first thing that's eaten is the eyes so crows can see a dead rabbits eyes from across the field.

Trust me if you're sitting in the best hide money can bye with the best cammo on it doesn't matter. crows can see you're eyes Like flashing lights in the dark.

Just imagine you're a crow flying over a nice hedge row. Hand on !!! You say to you're self. why has that hedge got a pair of eyes.

And off you fly at 100 mph. Flicking a finger at the hedge.

Ps good luck and keep them dropping.