dave allens mine...whats yours

Was a brilliant comedian, the sketch about the clock and telling time still makes me laugh and I must have watched it thousands of times. There's a few for me, Bill Hicks, short lived but fantastic and with a point of view to put across, sometimes with great ferocity. Billy Connelly for his looking glass type of humor that makes what we all consider to be normal behaviour seem hilariously ridiculous and for the more clean cut, Jasper Carrot, if only for the fact he can make me laugh without opening his mouth lol.

'Good night and may your God go with you'.

Edited by Trevorevans

I saw Dave Allen at City Hall, Newcastle in July 1987 with 3 mates, one of them laughed so much, we nearly had to call a paramedic, three and a half hours of non stop hilarity, including the "telling the time sketch", "driving the car" and "answering the door", comical genius.

I always thought that the late and great Tommy Cooper was a brilliantly funny man. I would have loved to have seen a show where Tommy Cooper was teamed up with Russ Abbot as a "double act" - Those two together would have really bounced off each other and could have made some of the funniest comedy scetches ever seen.

I watched the Dave Allen prog too, it did show him as an all round decent man. Shame he had his BBC contract written so that they couldn't show more than one repeat of his shows.

Did it not say he had it written in. Either way its pants.

Not sure what to make of reginald d hunter.

Billy connolly is very funny too, my 2 favourite jokes are the one where he was in the bike accident and then he cracked his crown jewels off the bed in the dark. I did like the world tours it gave an insight into him as a person.

I saw that program as well. The man was a genius. I wouldn't have seen much of his early stuff,but I remember watching those shows from the early '90's. The sketch of them playing musical chairs in the church had me in stitches. Have a look on youtube, there's a lot of clips of him on there.

Dara O'Briain would probably be my favorite of the current bunch.

There's a few for me, Bill Hicks, short lived but fantastic and with a point of view to put across, sometimes with great ferocity.

I loved Bill Hicks, RIP and way too young. What he would have made of George W Bush et al doesn't bear thinking about.

I like Stewart Lee too, he's not afraid to totally alienate a mainstream audience by trying to make them think. Simon Munnery is good but hardly mainstream.

Jimmy Carr's early stuff was good too and his style was pretty much unique at the time.

Bottom of the list has got to be people ike Russel 'my nan wet herself' Howard and the always excerable Michael McIntyre, surely the comedic equivalent of the colour beige.

Dave Allen was great too.

Edited by Thunderbird

Dave Allen is for me one of the great comedians. Early Connolly was good but he got a bit up himself later on. Peter Kaye is good.

I think the shows like Mock the Week, Have I got news for you, Would I lie to you, Eight out of ten cats etc have got us used to a vignette presentation of an artist, some of whom, like Boyle for example, are great in that kind of role and presentation with black, dark offensive humour in small doses to shock. But a whole show devoted to them and the constant barrage of exaggerated downing of every subject is tedious.

An eclectic mix is better such as Dave Allen served.

Ken Dodd still has a huge following.

Dave Allen was a class act. Of that era I really rated Freddie Starr as a comedian and good all round entertainer also. I miss Jerry Sadowitz from TV, there was no way he was going to get a second bite of the apple, talk about 'know your audience'.

Ditto regarding Frankie Boyle. I thought he was outstanding but its hard to keep an act fresh if its based on shock alone. His books are well worth a read though, 'my ~~~~ life so far' is a real page turner. I was banned from reading it in bed as my chortling made the bed move and woke her up. Ironically she eventually left me because my love making didnt make the bed move or wake her up..