Snake cleaners - ok or best avoided?

junctiontwo

Hi guys,

I'm (literally!) gearing up for my forthcoming FEO visit on 16th and have a quick question on the cleaning side of a SG.

There seem to be different set-ups however I like the look of something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Bore-Snake-12-Gauge-Shotgun-Barrel-Cleaner-Cleaning-Kit-Rope-12G-Boresnake/290938864962?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D8905487728019539705%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D300888552585%26

Is it too harsh to clean the barrels with the bronze brush after every shoot i.e do I need to? Is internal cleaning something that I should do only after a few hundred shots? The last thing I want to do is mess up the barrels either by under or over cleaning....

I've read other posts but views appear to differ?

Thanks loads.

James

depends on what you are shooting and what sort of gun (barrels) modern chrome lines barrels shooting nitro powder need a lot less cleaning to maintain than bare metal or damascus barrels shooting black powder. residual powder or plastic in the tubes can attract moisture and cause corrosion which leads to pitting. Pitting is bad and you want to prevent it, bronze is used as its softer than the barrel lining, some like a spotless barrel after every outing others rarely clean at all......

My view is that a 'snake' cleaner is OK for a quick pull through - the gun equivalent of a quick 'swill off'.

A proper 'clean' involves cleaning the bores, I do it like this;

1. loo paper pushed through to clear out the loose soot and powder residue
  2. Payne Galwey bronze brush with a little Youngs 303 - and through a few times
  3. Leave a few minutes for the solvent powers to work
  4. loo paper again, pushed through until clean (needs a few passes), all shiny, no lead or plastic residue. If there is residue, repeat from 2.
  5. 1 drop of Youngs 303 (only 1 drop) in each barrel and spread with a soft bristle Payne Galwey pattern brush

Then I clean the ejectors with a pipe cleaner, clean off any old grease from the hinge pin, bolting surfaces and knuckle - and put a tiny smear of fresh grease on.

Tiny bit of Youngs 303 rubbed over standing breech face around the strikers - to remove any powder fouling.

Reassemble, wipe over with a slightly oily rag to remove fingermarks from metal surfaces, good look over for any issues - and away in the safe

Two things are important;

Never more than minimum of oils etc, and never on the wood

Clean off old oil and grease before replacing with new.

I like to do a good clean like this if the gun is to be left for more than a day or two, but if used next day , just a quick 1, 2, and 1 pass of 4 as above.

If the gun has been wet, dry well - and about once or twice a year I give the wood a little drop of walnut oil

Kept my guns well for over 40 years.

personally speaking.

buy a proper cleaning kit with rods, a bisley one or similar, theyre only sligthly more expensive than a bore snake anyway.

clean the gun after every use, you wont hurt the barrel.

start as you mean to carry on and clean it properly.

dont over oil it, store it barrel down, clean the choke threads every time, and i use a smear of the white grease on the hinging or slide depending if you're buying an o/u or semi auto.

dont own a boresnake for shotgun, i think theyre ok for a quick pull through but not a substitute for a proper kit.

each to their own though, other peoples opinions may vary.

I only use bore snakes on my shotguns, being quick and easy it means I clean every time out and with a quick squirt of bore cleaner all the crud comes out. My barrels are chrome lined so the only marks tend to be the odd lead mark on the chokes which doesn't bother me at all

I'm same as Alex why make itore complex than it needs to be. I give it a pull through just to clear and debris the squirt bore cleaner in and pull through a couple of times then a squirt of oil and a couple more pulls, gets um nice and shiney so why do more?

How is it skimping using a pull through? A peek down my barrels shows they are sparkly clean if you've not used one they do work well. Along with a squirt of bore cleaner to displace moisture it's hard to see why you need to scrub more

Your prized firearm means a lot to you, whether it was purchased new or handed down from grandfather. Every firearm can last a lifetime with proper care. It is the shooter's responsibility and a matter of personal safety that he keep his firearm clean and lubricated. Browning recommends you clean your firearm after each outing.

Make certain the gun is not loaded by checking the bore, the magazine, the barrel and complete action. Open and close the action several times to make certain there are no shells left. Leave the action open and try to clean from the breech to the muzzle if possible. This prevents debris from falling into the action (receiver) when a rod is pushed into the barrel.

Clean with patches or a barrel weasel offered by Browning. Run the weasel or patches through several times. Inspect the bore. Clean the receiver, magazine, breech area ejectors, cylinders, bores, etc. with a good solvent. Using toothbrushes, cotton swabs, helps to get into the small areas. Compressed air works well, being careful not to dislodge small parts.

Browning offers a complete lineup of bore cleaners, gun cleaners, greases and oils. Use Browning Lube Shot to give the firearm a final, light coating of oil. Make certain that the coating is light enough that it will not run into the wood parts of the gun, as oil could cause the stock/forearm to soften.

Make certain your firearms are stored away from all ammunition, and are kept clean and dry, preferably in a safe, away from unwanted hands.

Browning seem happy for owners to use a pull through (they call their branded one a "weasel" http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/accessories/detail-historic.asp?fid=006J&cid=124&tid=41529&bg=x )

Always use a rod, use with bronze brush and jag. I can't fault the 2 piece Parker hale rod that I have had for years as for oils I personally use Napier gun cleaner down the barrels and Parker hale 009 nitro solvent for cleaning barrels on patches and cleaning out the choke tubes. I do not buy proper patches I can't fault kitchen roll each piece cut into 2 pieces wrapped round a jag bang on with a 12 bore

I always push a brush through they are not really tight and wont damage or wear the bores,but they will remove deposits of lead and plastic.some of my guns have been in the family for almost a hundred years although I don't use them ones much now I always clean with rods and brush as I was taught by my grandfather.

Am I the only one that enjoys cleaning my gun ? It's a part of gun ownership that is looked at the wrong way.

I love going for a shoot on Sunday mornings with my dad and brother..........come home and stuff my Sunday roast in, washed down with a nice glass if cider.

I set up my little cleaning station ( in the front room ) I then push a few squares of old t-shirt down the barrels for the soot.........bit of a waggle back and forth with the brush........squirt of Napier..............read the gun magazine for a bit............another square of old t-shirt................a tiny squirt of Napier...........wool mop thingy back and forth............renew all the grease............quick wipe over the barrels.

With any luck this is all done whilst a film like "A Bridge too far" or " The Eagle has landed" is on the T.V !!!!

The gun is returned to it's cabinet..........and come down to hear the last of the plates being put away...............my wife walks in and says "do you want a nice cup of tea and a slice of Bakewell tart? or would you rather pop upstairs for a bit of you know what ?? "

I am a hopeless dreamer eh ?? :yes:

My view is that a 'snake' cleaner is OK for a quick pull through - the gun equivalent of a quick 'swill off'.

A proper 'clean' involves cleaning the bores, I do it like this;

• loo paper pushed through to clear out the loose soot and powder residue
  • Payne Galwey bronze brush with a little Youngs 303 - and through a few times
  • Leave a few minutes for the solvent powers to work
  • loo paper again, pushed through until clean (needs a few passes), all shiny, no lead or plastic residue. If there is residue, repeat from 2.
  • 1 drop of Youngs 303 (only 1 drop) in each barrel and spread with a soft bristle Payne Galwey pattern brush
Then I clean the ejectors with a pipe cleaner, clean off any old grease from the hinge pin, bolting surfaces and knuckle - and put a tiny smear of fresh grease on.

Tiny bit of Youngs 303 rubbed over standing breech face around the strikers - to remove any powder fouling.

Reassemble, wipe over with a slightly oily rag to remove fingermarks from metal surfaces, good look over for any issues - and away in the safe

Two things are important;

Never more than minimum of oils etc, and never on the wood

Clean off old oil and grease before replacing with new.

I like to do a good clean like this if the gun is to be left for more than a day or two, but if used next day , just a quick 1, 2, and 1 pass of 4 as above.

If the gun has been wet, dry well - and about once or twice a year I give the wood a little drop of walnut oil

Kept my guns well for over 40 years.

Sound advice in my opinion, sounds like a lot but it only takes ten minutes at the most

I always use bore snakes (so easy I always do it, no mater how much I've shot). Then give it a full strip and clean after a lot of use/bad weather/I fancy it/etc.

I agree with people saying 'do it properly' but technology moves on. A bore snake gives you a greater surface area (2ft of cleaning surface) than a little 1 inch square of rag/bog roll and incorporates a brass brush. I've nothing against a jag and patch but when starting out a (relatively) cheap bore snake does the same job (allbeit in a different way) as an expensive cleaning kit.

All my opinion and not 'fact' but it's been working for me.

Shoot three times a week and its Napier gun cleaner then a bore snake through the barrels after every time until Sunday afternoon when it gets a proper scrub with a bronze brush as well as a good clean all over and re grease, including the chokes.

Edited by Trevorevans