Eley .22 subs

I normally use Winchester subs in my CZ452, which I have had no complaints about. Today I picked up some Eley subs from another dealer as my usual one doesn't stock them. I spent a happy hour plinking at targets, pushing the range out. Not a great deal between the two out to 45 yards, but from then on the Eleys took over and at 100 yards they were doing fabulous groups that the Winnies couldn't compete with. :good:

Quite good fun this experimenting to find the best round for your rifle. Some are terrible and some spectacular :good:

I normally use Winchester subs in my CZ452, which I have had no complaints about. Today I picked up some Eley subs from another dealer as my usual one doesn't stock them. I spent a happy hour plinking at targets, pushing the range out. Not a great deal between the two out to 45 yards, but from then on the Eleys took over and at 100 yards they were doing fabulous groups that the Winnies couldn't compete with. :good:

Quite good fun this experimenting to find the best round for your rifle. Some are terrible and some spectacular :good:

Out of interest what are you calling 'fabulous groups'?

I came across one article that suggested that Eley are so accurate because of their proprietory method of loading the primer which gives a very accurate and even layer. It was also suggested that SK Subs (Lapua) have licensed that process from Eley and that is one reason why they too are so accurate and consistent.

Each to their own for their own reasons, and as said many times, EVERY barrel is different.

Accuracy wise I have great results with Magtech subs, although many people cannot seem to hit a barn door with them, those and Winchester have a BIG HP which causes damage and delivers energy.

I have no better accuracy with Eley subs and their terminal performance is poor in comparison.

RWS run second choice these days for me after Winchester, I have stopped buying Magtech as the price has gone through the roof in the last couple of years, they were one of the cheapest you could get, they now stand near the top of the price table.

:good:

I found Winny subs to be inconsistent, used to love them. Eley's are good but wont load in my Ansultz without scrapping some lead off the bullet. Also find they smell different, not that it makes any difference.

Using Remington's at mo and they seem good. Bought some Lapua today but rain stopped me trying them. At £4.20 a box they are more expensive but if they work better then so be it.

I came across one article that suggested that Eley are so accurate because of their proprietory method of loading the primer which gives a very accurate and even layer. It was also suggested that SK Subs (Lapua) have licensed that process from Eley and that is one reason why they too are so accurate and consistent.

Aguila use the same eley prime and are reasonably accurate. And cheep as chips :)

I found eley subs are good for accuracy but the last lot I had were only just over 900 fps. SK's I found to be just as accurate as the eleys but the velocity was well up at 1060-1070 fps. They both have that eley smell as well, which is a bonus for me, I love the smell. Up to 50-60 yards the CCI segmented HP's work well for me and hit hard. 50 yard groups with the CCI's are about the same as 75 yard groups for the SK's for me anyway.

Still awaiting a reply RE. my post on 12/9/13

Here's a short video comparing six different types of subsonic ammunition, including Eley HP subs, at 65 yards in typical field conditions (windy)

www.youtube.com/watch?V=JqRw_xDtrFc

Eley Tenex, very impressive.. Although a target load and pricey i'd use them on rabbit. Other rounds grouped well considering the gusty wind.