Can someone explain the attraction of watching cycling?

SO3isme

I watched it bit of the Tour of Britain on the box this morning. It was mildly interesting, but I was struck by the number of spectators on the road sides. If that's a spectator sport, why do a lot more people not watch clay shooting? Presumably a lot of these people spent hours waiting and then the cyclists passed them in 10 seconds flat!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

absolutely hooked on it and have been since I raced in the late sixties/early seventies,I appreciate the sheer effort involved from the riders (children who cant comment other than about drugs please don't bother)

this year I went out to see le tour and will be watching it both in the UK and France next year, may even manage a mountain stage next year.

KW

Mrs and I were in the Lake District earlier this week on our mini-moon...Wiggins and all his Lycra wearing mates were there in our way and what seemed like millions of people were stood about in the pouring rain the see the ride past...can't see the attraction myself.

When we first got up there we thought it was just friendly northerners welcoming us to the lakes as they all kept waving at us lol!

absolutely hooked on it and have been since I raced in the late sixties/early seventies,I appreciate the sheer effort involved from the riders (children who cant comment other than about drugs please don't bother)

this year I went out to see le tour and will be watching it both in the UK and France next year, may even manage a mountain stage next year.

KW

I'll bet there was none of this revolting lycra nonsense in those days. Sprung saddle, corduroys tucked into your sock and roll-up behind your ear like a normal person.

Suppose it's like most things, you get a better feel for it live. I cycled into London to watch it today, got to play with the traffic which was interesting, then sat and relaxed with some mates in a cafe on Embankment. On a plus side they went past 20 times, you have to be pretty hardcore to go along on a normal stage and see them for just a few seconds.

On a side note, we got sworn at on several occasions by drivers sat in stationary traffic as we filtered through, and someone chucked something at my bike. It's an eye opener seeing grown men cry and act so childishly because someone's going quicker than them.

I think it is much the same with most sports most of the time we just see it on TV but it is nice one in a while to get up close and the people live one could say that at least when they go by you they are probably only doing 30/40 mph people go to see F1 and they go by doing 200mph blink and they are gone most sports are much better to look at on TV.

I think these top cyclists are real men, they don't ride on the footpath like the nasty aggressive TOBs round here do. The Council have given the footpaths to the cyclists but where does that leave the pedestrians? Perhaps that is why they are dishing out bus passes so we won't get in their way.

I used to love watching victoria pendleton. I used to fantasise about walking round ikea with her choosing things for the baby room. As it turned out the police said i'm not even allowed to watch her on tv anymore, let alone sit outside her house! I wonder why i bother paying my licence fee sometimes.

Some men like to watch other very slim men grimace and sweat in tight Lycra, each to their own.

Admire the drive and fitness but can't watch it myself.

The sprint finishes are ok.

Hate groups of them on the roads thinking cars can just go slow as them behind them while they ride three abreast having a chinwag or worse don't bother looking behind them then swing out wide to pass a slower cyclist

Cutting up cars. Idiots cars hurt when you connect with one.

The lakes are full of them, the majority are fine it's the cycling nazzis that I don't like.

I tend to let my chin wag when passing them.

Figgy

I'm with you Kdubya,

So far this year I have watched the Le Tour, La Vuelta and the Tour of Britain (on TV). I have been cycling for the past 4 years, mostly as a short 3 mile commute to the train Station until I got a pretty good road bike at a very cheap price early last summer and try and get out a do 10 miles a night after work (not since mid July when I damaged a ligament in my left knee).

Unless you ride, you can't really appreciate the effort involved, and those boys put in some effort for sure.

Looking forward to next year's Tour de France, as it should come very close to where I live for the second stage. I shall be MAMIL'd up to the hilt.

Chris Horner's (American - RadioShack-Leopard) performance in La Vuelta was outstanding, at 41 years and 11 months, the oldest Grand Tour winner in history.

Going to miss it not being on TV, as there has been pretty much constant coverage since June.

As for cycling's health benefits, between April and November 2010, I lost 3 1/2 stone riding 6 miles a day to and from the train station, admittedly riding quite hard once I had got into the swing of things, from 25 minutes at the start to c. 10minutes in the end.

KW

Edited by Penelope