What gloves?

Tim85

Hi All,

I have read today that we are due a pretty aweful winter so, Im after a good pair of shooting gloves, something that will last, not fussed about them being camo but would like to know what you guys have / have used in the past?

I have my eye on a few of the Neoprene ones with the fold back fingers for shooting etc, but i thought i would throw the subject out there to real shooters to see what people have used and either love or hate.

I must stress these will be used in the field and not at the club blasting clays then going back inside to warm up etc! So warm, comfy and durable is a must!

Cheers

Tim

All the above posts pretty much sum it up.

Forget neoprene as they don't keep your hands warm in the slightest.

Sealskinz all the way. Got mine last year and they were brilliant for the pheasants even during rain and snow.

The only problem i found with them was the magnetic catch although a great asset for holding the finger back i found that when putting my hand inside my pocket with carts in i would often accidentally pull a cart out my pocket and without noticing could easily have lost a few.

I wear the Seal Skinz Hunting glove, which doesn't have the trigger finger option but can still use semi-auto or O/U no problem. Warm, waterproof and quite robust.

I also have a waterproof beanie which is great. Fleece lined but keeps your head warm and dry.

Indeed, but the ones that look like green woollen gloves, not the two other types they do. All are warm'ish and very waterproof, but the ones mentioned are easy to shoot in being thinner on the fingers. They come in olive green too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealskinz-Ultra-Grip-Glove-Black/dp/B003534T3I/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1381991892&sr=8-11&keywords=sealskinz+shooting+gloves

IMO SealSkinz shooting gloves are the best waterproof and windproof shooting gloves you can buy ?

Edited by Penelope

Sealskinz are great, really toastie warm, but I also use the 'Hunting' version because I had problems with the latest version of the shooting ones.

The latest shooting ones keep the folded back trigger finger in place using strong magnets sewn into the gloves (rather than the usual velcro fastening).

Sounds fine but actually when you use them the damn magnets pick up cartridges from your pockets when you are reloading - hilarious to all your shoot buddies as you scramble on the ground picking them up.

http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/gloves/kj492-shooting-gloves-olive.html

See where the round magnet is shown on the back knuckle of your index finger - both gloves have the fold-back facility, wouldn't be so bad if it were only on your trigger hand.

:)

I have the 'Hunting' version too, but find that with a double triggered gun, they make the trigger finger too fat and difficult to use, they may be fine with a single triggered gun though. A friend has the 'Sure Grip' wool type version which I have borrowed and they are much slimmer on the finger and much easier to use with a double trigger.

As for waterproof, my friend wears them in the winter when fishing pike livebaits out of the bucket.

Sealskinz are great, really toastie warm, but I also use the 'Hunting' version because I had problems with the latest version of the shooting ones.

The latest shooting ones keep the folded back trigger finger in place using strong magnets sewn into the gloves (rather than the usual velcro fastening).

Sounds fine but actually when you use them the damn magnets pick up cartridges from your pockets when you are reloading - hilarious to all your shoot buddies as you scramble on the ground picking them up.

http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/gloves/kj492-shooting-gloves-olive.html

See where the round magnet is shown on the back knuckle of your index finger - both gloves have the fold-back facility, wouldn't be so bad if it were only on your trigger hand.

:)

Edited by Penelope

I have the 'Hunting' version too, but find that with a double triggered gun, they make the trigger finger too fat and difficult to use, they may be fine with a single triggered gun though. A friend has the 'Sure Grip' wool type version which I have borrowed and they are much slimmer on the finger and much easier to use with a double trigger.

As for waterproof, my friend wears them in the winter when fishing pike livebaits out of the bucket.

Quite right Penelope. Both my guns are single trigger and the finger would be too `fat` for double trigger.

I have found my MacWets to be surprsingly warm when wet and/or cold. Not waterproof but I can cope with wet as long as it's wet warm. They are tight fitting and almost act like a wet-suit does.