Guided (Paid for) Pigeon shooting

Dicker

Hi All,

I am trying to find some guided pigeon shooting some time in the new year for myself and my brother. i.e. a day's shooting where the kit is provided. We are based close to Cambridge and don't mind travelling.

I have been pigeon shooting a couple of times with a friend a couple of years ago, and had some fantastic sport, but I do not have the kit or the local knowledge.

(I shoot game about 10 times a year, and my brother shoots game a couple of times a year - we are safe competent guns)

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers

Dicker

Edited by Dicker

Could try protom1 off here he is Lincoln way, m robson on here I believe does days as well, not sure where he is based, or you could try the site sponsers as I'm sure they do it also

Edit forgot to mention elby, then noticed above

Edited by fuzzypigeon

Hi All,

I am trying to find some guided pigeon shooting some time in the new year for myself and my brother. i.e. a day's shooting where the kit is provided. We are based close to Cambridge and don't mind travelling.

I'd be interested to hear these recommendations. I get a lot of nebulous invitations that don't materialise and I really want to shoot a pigeon.

Could try protom1 off here he is Lincoln way, m robson on here I believe does days as well, not sure where he is based, or you could try the site sponsers as I'm sure they do it also

Edit forgot to mention elby, then noticed above

I think M.Robson is up in Scotland

Personally if I was paying for pigeon shooting I would not consider going now until March as the chances are you will not have a great day before then.

You could always try a roost shoot which is likely to offer more sport but for a brief period.

Edited by fenboy

I think M.Robson is up in Scotland

Personally if I was paying for pigeon shooting I would not consider going now until March as the chances are you will not have a great day before then.

You could always try a roost shoot which is likely to offer more sport but for a brief period.

I agree. Sport may be limited unless you get on something like maize cover or sugar beet tops. Shooting on rape is always a bit of a lottery.

hi dicker, look up actionpigeons on here and face book, he is based in derbyshire and has a lot of ground to shoot on.Its a bit of a funny time at the minute as there not really flocked up as yet but he will do his best to provide you with a good days sport, .Booked a day with him a few years ago and have been friends ever since ,and he can provide all the gear you need for very reasonable prices.,you wont be dissapointed.

hi dicker, look up actionpigeons on here and face book, he is based in derbyshire and has a lot of ground to shoot on.Its a bit of a funny time at the minute as there not really flocked up as yet but he will do his best to provide you with a good days sport, .Booked a day with him a few years ago and have been friends ever since ,and he can provide all the gear you need for very reasonable prices.,you wont be dissapointed.

Why would you want the pigeons to be flocked up?

Sorry motty ,i will try and make it a bit clearer , the post was for a guided days shooting i.e paying for your sport. What i meant by flocked was pigeons in reasonable numbers rather than the odd one or two just flitting about and not actually feeding on your chosen ground on which you shoot over.I for one would not set up anywhere if this was the case never mind have somebody travel x amount of miles and ask them to pay for it.You must know yourself that you cannot guarantee any pigeons at any time of the year never mind in winter, so when i said flocked i am just trying to tip the scales in my favour, hope that explains your question,

+1 had my best ever day, thanks to action pigeons...top bloke

Try Fenny on PW, he posts on the paid/unpaid opportunities bit, went on the roost shoot Sat/Sun, not big numbers but testing, enjoyable shooting.

As mentioned not really the best time for the all day, big numbers thing, wait for the hunger gap proper, say end of Feb begining of March.

Hi dicker

Shame your not up my erea i would take you out for nothing as offten as you'd like .i would never pay for pigeon shooting its a waste of money you cannot even with the best guide predict that there will be birds to shoot when you arive on anyday.

I have thousands of acres to shoot over and ive done this for 33 yrs ive sat and watched fields getting hammered for a week before setting up only to fire one shot then nothing comes back.same with flight lines all it takes is for the wind to change direction and your flight lines gone too.

This is why i suppose i love this bird its challenging you all the time .

IMO an individual paying for pigeon shooting is paying more for access than the birds. As with all wild quarry, you can't predict.

Hi dicker
Shame your not up my erea i would take you out for nothing as offten as you'd like .i would never pay for pigeon shooting its a waste of money you cannot even with the best guide predict that there will be birds to shoot when you arive on anyday.
I have thousands of acres to shoot over and ive done this for 33 yrs ive sat and watched fields getting hammered for a week before setting up only to fire one shot then nothing comes back.same with flight lines all it takes is for the wind to change direction and your flight lines gone too.
This is why i suppose i love this bird its challenging you all the time .

• 2 weeks later...

Haha funny statement Penelope

KEEP YOUR OPINIONS TO YOURSELF MATE

U Seem to like having a pop at paid for shooting dont you, why do you bother mate !

Last time i saw u moaning and groaning in the shooting paid for section slagging off ESSEX WILDFOWLING now here you go again proving to all that read this on PIGEONWATCH that your a waste of space with nothing better to do than have a moan and groan!

Do you ever go out!

Shooting doesnt need your sort.

Go and buy some knitting needles u might be a bit happier with that hobby and with a bit less to moan about ...... :-)

IMO an individual paying for pigeon shooting is paying more for access than the birds. As with all wild quarry, you can't predict.

Edited by blasterjudd

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol: you really are a plank aren't you sunshine.

Nothing wrong with paid for shooting, so far this season I have bought a day on the Ouse Washes, an evening roost shooting from fenny off here, and I have another two paid for wildfowling trips coming in January. Have been a member of a few game syndicates too in the past, as well as shooting holidays in Scotland, so way off the mark as usual, boy.

Want I do have an issue with is unsporting behaviour, poor etiquette and the shooting of protected species, spoiling another paying gun's day. You still haven't had the gonads to answer the question whether you think that is acceptable have you, why? A simple yes or no will suffice!

U Seem to like having a pop at paid for shooting dont you, why do you bother mate !

Last time i saw u moaning and groaning in the shooting paid for section slagging off ESSEX WILDFOWLING now here you go again proving to all that read this on PIGEONWATCH that your a waste of space with nothing better to do than have a moan and groan!

Do you ever go out!

Go and buy some knitting needles u might be a bit happier with that hobby and with a bit less to moan about ...... :-)

All Penelope was saying is that even if you pay to shoot pigeon, they are not guaranteed to play ball hence the you pay for the access ( and the use of the kit) the birds are different matter they decide where they want to be and when, hopefully if your guide has been scouting he will put you on them , but we have all been in the thousands the day before and nowt when you are there scenario.

KW

Try Fenny on PW, he posts on the paid/unpaid opportunities bit, went on the roost shoot Sat/Sun, not big numbers but testing, enjoyable shooting.

As mentioned not really the best time for the all day, big numbers thing, wait for the hunger gap proper, say end of Feb begining of March.

What does that mean? :hmm:

Do you ever go out!

Penelope was merely stating fact, it is a very good point he has made.

To big mat

Best off luck finding a day or two if they want a team of 4 I would be happy to travel and join you with a lad obviously only when the fowling season is finished

2 days over a weekend would be good

Merry Xmas

Not trying to jump in on your day out but I know a lot of pro guides like teams not individual guns

Edited by Old farrier

All Penelope was saying is that even if you pay to shoot pigeon, they are not guaranteed to play ball hence the you pay for the access ( and the use of the kit) the birds are different matter they decide where they want to be and when, hopefully if your guide has been scouting he will put you on them , but we have all been in the thousands the day before and nowt when you are there scenario.

KW

Yup ^^^^ this.

Even if I did paid days out on our farm I wouldn't be doing it this time of year, I couldn't be doing with the backlash and public thrashing that no birds were shot.

Don't get me wrong, you can have bad days anytime if the year, but as said, at this time of the year you really are paying to get your boots on the land, the shooting of birds in any number are a bonus.

Penelope there u go again making a mug of yourself for all to see what a tiny minded individual you really are!

Everything you refer to is always speculation whispers or contrived rubbish ......

I dont comment on **** like u do as i have better things to do and would rather watch paint dry than associate with someone like you.

How about we meet up one day to talk this one through and can resolve this issue in a sensible manner face to face.

Offers there buddy but guess you wont take it up like you backed out with Essex Wildfowling when you ran them down and would not meet the guys even when offered a free day out shooting.

ENOUGH SAID MATE....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol: you really are a plank aren't you sunshine.

Nothing wrong with paid for shooting, so far this season I have bought a day on the Ouse Washes, an evening roost shooting from fenny off here, and I have another two paid for wildfowling trips coming in January. Have been a member of a few game syndicates too in the past, as well as shooting holidays in Scotland, so way off the mark as usual, boy.

Want I do have an issue with is unsporting behaviour, poor etiquette and the shooting of protected species, spoiling another paying gun's day. You still haven't had the gonads to answer the question whether you think that is acceptable have you, why? A simple yes or no will suffice!

Edited by blasterjudd