Should Scotland keep the pound?

Denboy

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schengen area is the treaty which allowed free passage for EU citizens. It effectively removed internal EU boarder controls. The Uk is not a full signatory to this and we have retained our boarder controls thanks to us being an island....

We have the " common travel area" which removes the need for some passport checks on journeys between the Uk, the island of Ireland and the Channel Islands. Scotland is likely to be part of this so no rebuilding of Hadrians wall

No. You can pass freely from one country to another in Europe.

Talk of putting up borders as there is concern undesirables could enter Scotland and then pass straight into England unchecked....and no I don't mean the Scots.

I hope they vote to stay as part of the Union but if not then Independence means just that...on their own.

Salmond wants independence so faras Government goes but he wants the security of a stable currency too....he cannot have his cake and eat it I'm afraid.

Schengen area is the treaty which allowed free passage for EU citizens. It effectively removed internal EU boarder controls. The Uk is not a full signatory to this and we have retained our boarder controls thanks to us being an island....

We have the " common travel area" which removes the need for some passport checks on journeys between the Uk, the island of Ireland and the Channel Islands. Scotland is likely to be part of this so no rebuilding of Hadrians wall

Technically you don't need a passport - just an official ID card from your country. We don't have ID cards in the UK, so you have to use a passport, but other EU members can come to the UK by just showing their national ID card.

It's either independence or it's not. Cake and eat spring to mind.

I'm astonished that this daft government closed the naval shipbuilding in Plymouth and took it to Govern, a possible foreign power. Why not just move it to China and save everyone some money? There doesn't seem to be much logic to this, it's just pandering to Salmond so he can't claim he's being treated unfairly and get extra sympathy votes.

Though i agree it was strange giving the ship building to govern , I cannot see Scotland becoming much of a foreign "power" if they vote for independence ( which I cannot see happening)

.... we have retained our boarder controls thanks to us being an island....

:lol:

If only that were true.....

Thanks to our EU membership any person from any country anywhere in the world who enters the EU legally automatically has full right of entry into Britain. Beleaguered officials on Europe's porous periphery wave through immigrants from Africa and Asia to get rid of them, knowing that with legal right of entry they will head for wealthier northern countries and becomes someone else's problem.

Our Island status is meaningless. Our borders end at Greece, Malta and Romania and Sicily and we have no control whatsoever over who crosses them, why or in what numbers.

:lol:

If only that were true.....

Thanks to our EU membership any person from any country anywhere in the world who enters the EU legally automatically has full right of entry into Britain. Beleaguered officials on Europe's porous periphery wave through immigrants from Africa and Asia to get rid of them, knowing that with legal right of entry they will head for wealthier northern countries and becomes someone else's problem.

Our Island status is meaningless. Our borders end at Greece, Malta and Romania and Sicily and we have no control whatsoever over who crosses them, why or in what numbers.

They do not automatically have access to the UK unless they have an EU/EEA ID. They can be sent back unless of course they claim asylum :/

They do not automatically have access to the UK unless they have an EU/EEA ID. They can be sent back unless of course they claim asylum :/

That's what I mean. Many of them are getting the documentation so that they will move on, avoiding the need to detain and repatriate them at their point of entry. The EU has, not I suspect unwittingly, created a human migration disaster.

Scotland will remain in Europe as a geographical site.

That has nothing to do with the EU and free passage, it raises an interesting point, Scotland as such has never joined the EU, so where would they stand on that if given FULL independence?

scotland shouldn't be allowed to keep the pound.

they won't get the euro either because spain will veto their entry into europe. the reason why is because spain is worried that catalonia wants independence & then there will be a precedence of a country getting independence & going straight into europe.

scotland shouldn't be allowed to keep the pound.

they won't get the euro either because spain will veto their entry into europe. the reason why is because spain is worried that catalonia wants independence & then there will be a precedence of a country getting independence & going straight into europe.

Spain wants Scotlands fish soI think its a fine line.....

If the Scots want to go it alone then they should factor in the change in currency as well. Without any control on an independent economic policy, why would we risk it - accept controls or ,lose it (the pound) - the extent of those controls should be spelled out asap. I think they should create a new currency the 'jock' which may well change to the 'joke' later.

Edited by Kes

my thoughts are that if Scotland want independence they should have a vote,(which they are doing) if they vote for independence then they should forced to relinquish the £ and stand on their own 2 feet instead of being a parasite on us.

Edited by peck

Alex Salmond is missing a trick! ... if he wants an absolute victory, and l think he might just get one .. for a cert, he should invite "Eric Pickles" to Scotland ... a more obnoxious man l'd doubt you'd find ... the future looks bright with the likes of Pickles at the helm ... l wouldn't put him.in charge of steering his fat harris onto a bog seat