Anyone else get these in their garden?

OJW

Does anyone else get these in their garden? There are a lot down here, they steal all the food from the song birds. I wonder if they will ever be classed as vermin! They certainly don't fly like UK birds, doubt they would decoy very well!

IMG_0002_zps72b4a937.jpg

Edited by OJW

I like that Ditchman!! Imagine dropping a few off to the game dealer. Problem is, general licence or not, can't shoot them in an urban back garden or Bushy/ Richmond Park and that seems to be where they are most prolific.

I think you have to be careful if it is in your garden

General license says:

1. Subject to paragraph 2 and the licence conditions, this licence is granted to:

(i) Prevent serious damage to livestock, foodstuffs for livestock, crops, vegetables, fruit, growing timber, fisheries or inland waters, and

(ii) Prevent the spread of disease.

Is your bird feeder for "livestock"?

RSPB says:

https://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/r/ringneckedparakeet/problems.aspx

Despite being an introduced species, the ring-necked parakeet is protected in the wild under the Wildlife and Countryside Act. However, it may be killed or taken under the terms of some General Licences. It is illegal to release or allow them to escape into the wild.

I wasn't suggesting I would shoot them in my back garden, regardless of whether I have the right to through the general licence (incidentally there is a veg patch in front of the feeder! Not visible in the photo). Folks in the leafy suburbs aren't accustomed to shotguns going off! If anyone did fire one, the parakeets would be the least of their worries! Good knowledge though! They are pretty cool to watch, I wonder if one day they will become a regular feature in photos of peoples bags on here. Pigeon, Pigeon, Parakeet, Pigeon. Would add a bit of colour to the sporting photo section!

General license says:

1. Subject to paragraph 2 and the licence conditions, this licence is granted to:

(i) Prevent serious damage to livestock, foodstuffs for livestock, crops, vegetables, fruit, growing timber, fisheries or inland waters, and

RSPB says:

https://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/r/ringneckedparakeet/problems.aspx

Despite being an introduced species, the ring-necked parakeet is protected in the wild under the Wildlife and Countryside Act. However, it may be killed or taken under the terms of some General Licences. It is illegal to release or allow them to escape into the wild.

Get some strawberry plants and put them in a tub in your garden, then protect your fruit. No problem. Use an airgun.

if they do decoy...and you miss, they will swear at you !! :lol:

quote "most parakeets have a cheerful and fun personality they can be easily trained to do tricks and have the ability to talk"

this is as apposed to most teenagers who can do none of the above, anyway what do they taste like (parakeets not teenagers)

I do not think that it would be a good idea to be seen shooting them as people do tend to think of them in this part of the world as being pets even if they are pests in places in peoples minds it would be like shooting cats or dogs not the sort of thing that will make the public think that shooting is a good sport for us to be doing just my thought for what they are worth.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

They are as previous said on the general licence. Around the Thames area at Richmond and Kingston and further a field they are in massive numbers. Rumour has it that a number of birds escaped from a film set at one of the studios back in the 60s. They are everywhere and have displaced most of the finches in those areas. They are distroying habitats for UK birds and need to be controlled. Culls are carried out but they are such prolific breeders it makes little difference. If you visit the Thames area at Richmond as I often do they are everywhere

Loads here (also Kent as above). Noisy beggars, and displace a lot of the indigenous finches, as they occupy the same (ish) niche, and are bigger and more aggressive.

Had a sparrowhawk take one in the garden the other year - bright green feathers all over the shop!

General license says:

OP has already stated no intention to shoot them, but just for info.... Ring neck and monk parakeet are also on WML-GL06 http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Images/wml-gl06_tcm6-24151.pdf

which says:

(i) Conserve wild birds, and

(ii) Conserve flora and fauna.

This would possibly be more appropriate than GL-04?

From the set of the African Queen at Shepperton.

Regularly see flock of a hundred plus strong around the Staines area.

They are as previous said on the general licence. Around the Thames area at Richmond and Kingston and further a field they are in massive numbers. Rumour has it that a number of birds escaped from a film set at one of the studios back in the 60s. They are everywhere and have displaced most of the finches in those areas. They are distroying habitats for UK birds and need to be controlled. Culls are carried out but they are such prolific breeders it makes little difference. If you visit the Thames area at Richmond as I often do they are everywhere

Edited by Penelope

I wasn't suggesting I would shoot them in my back garden, regardless of whether I have the right to through the general licence (incidentally there is a veg patch in front of the feeder! Not visible in the photo). Folks in the leafy suburbs aren't accustomed to shotguns going off! If anyone did fire one, the parakeets would be the least of their worries! Good knowledge though! They are pretty cool to watch, I wonder if one day they will become a regular feature in photos of peoples bags on here. Pigeon, Pigeon, Parakeet, Pigeon. Would add a bit of colour to the sporting photo section!

Buy a silenced PCP air rifle then!