.223 or 22.250

davesw

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mate has a Ruger .204 and reckons it's the biz. Itching for a go but it hasn't happened yet.

Another has the T3 Tactical in .223. Very nice and as you'll know, does everything expected of it regards foxes.

I have a T3 in .243 Win, and this suits me fine for both fox and deer. I can see foxes 'fold' unless I'm on extended bipod legs to get 'over' the long grass as it is at the moment, when it tends to bounce, but the thump down range tells you all you need to know.

I've been playing with the idea of a .22-250 because of its flat trajectory, but don't think I would gain anything over my .243 at the ranges I'm shooting.

I have a .308 for deer but fancied a change from .223 for fox the main reason for asking is that the .204 and 22.250 are fast flat shooting rounds and I would like to push past the 200 mark as had loads of chances further out but not wanted to take pot shots with the .223 but am worried about barrel life although I don't shoot loads of rounds through a gun I like to go to a range a couple of times a year

Also I did read its hard to stay on target with 22.250 ? As earlier post states

Depends on how good your eyesight is.most night shooting of foxes is under 200 yards and at that distance there is not much in it.

eye sight is pretty good chap I go out with reckons I've had night vision lenses fitted!

I have a .308 for deer but fancied a change from .223 for fox the main reason for asking is that the .204 and 22.250 are fast flat shooting rounds and I would like to push past the 200 mark as had loads of chances further out but not wanted to take pot shots with the .223 but am worried about barrel life although I don't shoot loads of rounds through a gun I like to go to a range a couple of times a year Also I did read its hard to stay on target with 22.250 ? As earlier post states

Hard to stay on target??lol

If you "fancy" a .22-250 then go with what you want.... A bit of a barrel burner though, or at least that's what I've read.....

If it's "flat" you want, and just for foxes, then my opinion is the same as Norms, (V8 90) and go with the .204 Ruger.

I have both the .223 Rem and the .204 Ruger. I bought a new scope for my .223, intending to offset the cost of the scope by selling my CZ 527 in .204 Ruger. But after going out with the .204R again, I just can't bring myself to get rid of it! :/

Nice and flat, and very good on foxes and long range rabbit bashing to! I just love it! :yes:

Just a thought though, the only reason I got into reloading was due to buying the .204R and then realising the cost of the ammo!! :o Around 18 months ago, the cheapest I could find was a £1.00 a shot, going up to around £1.60 a shot!! Although it did get me into reloading, which is a nice hobby in itself! :yes:

However, each to their own...

Cheers

Jamie

Edited by jam1e

You will see far less impacts through the scope with a 22.250 than the others unless it is very heavy, a moddy would help that though as it dampens the muzzle rise on fireing.

Most foxes are killed at well under 200 yards, at that range 204/222/223/22.250 or even 220 Swift will all do the job perfectly.

A factory 22.250 is a good killer yes but in my experience is not as accurate by and large as the smaller cases within the group, on a fox it is accurate enough but a crow at 250 yards might get away with it.

Shooting at 200 yards on and above on a regular basis then 204 or 22.250, dont dismiss 20s, I have easily killed foxes at around 300 yards using them, my 20 has a 95% first shot kill rate overall on foxes at all ranges. Most are sub 200 yards.

A

I have a .308 for deer but fancied a change from .223 for fox the main reason for asking is that the .204 and 22.250 are fast flat shooting rounds and I would like to push past the 200 mark as had loads of chances further out but not wanted to take pot shots with the .223 but am worried about barrel life although I don't shoot loads of rounds through a gun I like to go to a range a couple of times a year

Also I did read its hard to stay on target with 22.250 ? As earlier post states

A 223 in capable hands isn't taking pot shots at 200 yards +, stick with the 223.

Well I was expecting everyone to be saying 22.250 but there's still a lot of favour for the .223 it's just that I've seen a lovely r.p.a in 22.250 which got the cogs turning ! My last was a Kimber pro varmint which was a great gun but the rpa is nice!

If you've found the right gun at the right price then that's as good as any reason to choose between .223 and .22-250. I went .22-250 and have reloaded in the past but at the moment am using the 55gn Privi, fast and flat.

Remember in .223 a rifle shooting 40gn bullets through a 1 in 12 is going to be a different animal to a rifle shooting up to 90gn through a 1 in 7 or 8 barrel. With the right bullet the .223 is certainly used a lot more that the .22-250 in long range shooting, just depends what you want.

I use 223 and 204 ruger, they both do exactly the same thing out to 200 yards, after that the 204 is slightly flatter using 40g noslers. I use the 204 a load more than 223, simply because it's nicer to shoot,less noise and recoil and you see every impact through the scope. End of the day I don't think you will regret either 223, 204, 22-250 as they are all very good foxing calibers. I never fancied 22-250 due to the extra powder used and muzzle noise. Each to their own I suppose.:)

A 223 in capable hands isn't taking pot shots at 200 yards +, stick with the 223.

was about to post the same thing!

all this horse shizzle about flat trajectories is irrelevant until you start pushing past 4000pfs

you are talking fractions of an inch at 200yds between .223 and 22-250 and it requires more powder in a 22-250 (now a 22-250 AI is another matter!)

I regularly shoot past 200yds with a .222 ...at deer!! they all fall over

if you can't or dont want to with a .223 then upping the charge isnt going to suddenly change things

You will see far less impacts through the scope with a 22.250 than the others unless it is very heavy, a moddy would help that though as it dampens the muzzle rise on fireing.

Most foxes are killed at well under 200 yards, at that range 204/222/223/22.250 or even 220 Swift will all do the job perfectly.

A factory 22.250 is a good killer yes but in my experience is not as accurate by and large as the smaller cases within the group, on a fox it is accurate enough but a crow at 250 yards might get away with it.

Shooting at 200 yards on and above on a regular basis then 204 or 22.250, dont dismiss 20s, I have easily killed foxes at around 300 yards using them, my 20 has a 95% first shot kill rate overall on foxes at all ranges. Most are sub 200 yards.

A

well i think it was your rifle. i know many people and my rpa 22/250 has shot many 250 + yard crows and rabbits out to 330 yards