Total Madness

Fuji Shooter

Driving to the office this morning I was overtaken by a guy on a Honda Fireblade wearing a new line of protective clothing.

White T Shirt, cutoff jeans and to cap it all flip flops! I suppose at least he had a lid on.

Mind boggles

Don't worry - he obviously has that new kevlar skin stuff hahahaha :-)

I was younger and stupid once, I fell off wearing shorts - spent hours picking gravel out of my thigh with tweezers and a needle. (Rather than have a nurse do it in such a way to make you realise how dumb it was!).

From then I wore sensible bike gear (If you are into jeans and not full gortex trousers or leathers, you can buy kevlar lined jeans which are pretty good for round the town jaunts.

I saw a guy in full leathers who ragged it past at plenty of MPH, his pillion was a woman in a vest top and leggings...

I do worry!

Every time I go out I get suited up, it's just not worth the risk, mate got knocked after just hopping on for a quick trip to the shops in his day clothes and ended up having skin grafts

What I do marvel at is how I get all geared up for the motorbike nowdays even if if going to shop as I also fell off on the way to my local co-op less than half a mile from house! (Car pulled out).
However when I cycle to work I wear shorts and cycle top and usually bumble about at 22-25mph and down the big hill around 33-35mph and never think of the consequences :/

Driving to the office this morning I was overtaken by a guy on a Honda Fireblade wearing a new line of protective clothing.

White T Shirt, cutoff jeans and to cap it all flip flops! I suppose at least he had a lid on.

Mind boggles

He will hopefully remove himself from the gene pool quite soon!

I remember when i was 17 and had the obligatory KMX 125 and got stopped by couple of traffic cops in a Senator (remember them?) because of my lack of safety clothing....which consisted of shorts,t-shirt and trainers.Since i had committed no offence and didnt want to listen to his good advice i asked them to hurry the sermon up and then rode away.

Yes,looking back it was a pretty dumb thing to do on a bike,but we often do foolish things in our youth-which might include wheelies too.

I am a biker...I always wear full gear and I dont use the bike for a trip to the shops, if I am out then I am out! I wouldn't dream of shorts and flip flops whilst riding a bikein the UK...although I found myself traveling through Indonesia and Bali in just that, through one of the worlds most conjested cities...

I often look back and wonder why I thought that was acceptable.

having pulled my best mate out of a ditch after he split his crash helmet in two on a road sign id never ride unless im fully geared up.lucky eejit survived but he limped like a drunk for six months,after ripping his shoulder muscles, to butter with the force of the crash.he lived to be my best man at my wedding but he,s still ugly :lol:

Edited by clakk

If they have ever had a skin graft then would never do it

It's one of the most intense pains I have known,

Not the graft site, the donor site,

I had a roughly 5"x10" graft done, skin taken from the front top of my leg,

The pain was stupendous,

Surgeon told me the same day that NOBODY was to remove the dressing for a week,

I went back in after 4 days and he wanted a look, despite my pleas that he said nobody was to remove the dressing, he did, they had to use warm oil to prise the dressing off.

The tears were real, never known pain like it, ( and I have had an open fracture of the knee cap)

:shaun:

Must admit, I sometimes go out on the motorbike with just shorts, trainers and shirt (plus helmet and gloves) but only if it's a short journey and in 30 limits as I figure I go that quick on my push bike.....

ATB

30 mph is enough rolling to peel you like a potato, a 5 metre slide on my **** on asphalt wouldn't be fun surely, if you can average 30 on a push bike, get signed up for the next Olympics!

Why are you hands skin more important than, say, your shoulders?

All to their own.

30 mph is enough rolling to peel you like a potato, a 5 metre slide on my **** on asphalt wouldn't be fun surely, if you can average 30 on a push bike, get signed up for the next Olympics!

Why are you hands skin more important than, say, your shoulders?

All to their own.

I'm not suggesting it's safe but it's a calculated risk as is getting on my bike with kevlar jeans as apposed to leathers trousers or a armoured jacket as apposed to a leather jacket.

Plus leathers don't stop you getting killed as that's usually caused by hitting something hard and coming to a rapid stop.

I just feel that if I'm not going over 30 and it's a short journey then it's a small enough risk for me to justify shorts and a T-shirt.

ATB

Mind boggles

Each to there own, if someone doesn't want to wear protective clothing then so be it. I regularly used to ride my bike with similar clothing in the summer months. My thoughts are that if you come off a bike you are going to get hurt either way so its up to the individual how much pain they want to go through.

It's people on quads with no bash hat or protective gear on that makes me cringe.

Yeah this po me as well but is it legal to drive a quad on the road? As we where coming home on tye bus on day and as buses are must of only been doing 35-40mph and we were over taken by an older man with helmet ( fair enough) shirt and shorts.

As already said the mind boggles

Its called choice,their choice to ride with or without protective clothing,not saying its right or wrong not to wear it but at least we have the choice until the powers that be say otherwise,rarely ride the bike without a prot leather jacket on but I get it in the neck by some bikers for wearing an open face helmet on the enfield and not a fullfacer stating the damage that my face would get in an accident ,cant smoke with a full face helmet on ,thats my choice.

johnnie

Edit to say that the wife wears a full facer when riding pillion but thats just to stop my fag ash going in her eyes.

Edited by AULD YIN

Mind boggles

I'm seeing it all the time out here in Greece , no helmets and wheelies down the high street.