The Ideal Pigeon Cartridge?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my experience I've not found the advertised speed of the cartridge to make much difference. I'm not talking about the difference between sub-sonics and the highest velocity clay cartridges, but the difference between a standard super-sonic shell and an all singing and dancing fast one. Once the shot column splits the individual pellets, being sperical, are balistically inefficient and slow down quickly. Pellets that start faster also slow down much faster and the longer the distance to the target, the less significant the higher muzzle velocity becomes.

+1.

Precisely. Although there may well be a slight discrepancy in the field, to the nearest decimal point at 40 yards ballistic tables reflect that the difference in energy of a No.6 shot having a V1 of 1300ft/sec is just 0.1ft/lbs less than one having a V1 of 1450. At 50 yards, there is no difference.

Motty i have just loaded up a box of 32 gram #7 plas wad doing 1485 fps ( off the recipe sheet ) i am going to test them tomorrow afternoon along with the steel

I like the idea of 32gram 7s but not so sure about the speed , I think 1350 or so would be much nicer to shoot any amount of.

I like the idea of 32gram 7s but not so sure about the speed , I think 1350 or so would be much nicer to shoot any amount of.

thats only off the data sheet i would say they are more like about 1400 i have shot them with #5 but i have loads of #7 so thought i would do a few just to get me in the man cave for a while lol

They sound good to me!

Well i tested a few out this afternoon

28 gram #7 steel. They was"t as bad as i first thought although they did shoot better with a tighter choke ( 1/2 - 3/4 - full and pm code black goose )

the chokes that i used

32 gram #7 lead

shot well with full choke a lot of feathers on impact i used only full and the code black with these.

all pigeons and crows were a good 45 + yrds i had a few walkers with both the test cartridges even with the code black but at the hight they were you would expect a few and shooting throw trees don"t help with smaller shot. The only difference between the ones i tested today compared with my normal cartridges not quiet as good kills and i had to do some running down :lol: but i will be using them over the decoys at normal decoying range plus i can load #7 cheaper :good:

Thanks George , if I find them that much better than my normal 28 gram 7.5 ( English 7 ) then I will be happy to eat humble pie and report back , but as good as they will be from a commercial point of view you are always going to find it easier to sell a pigeon shooter a load between 30 grams of 7 and 32 grams of 6 .

I have been pigeon shooting over 30 years now and have never felt the need to go bigger than a 6 , but as I said I am happy to be proved wrong.

Fenboy

Think you will be pleasantry surprised with either Georges 32 gram 6 or 4.5s myself and 3 others brought 500 of each for roosting but also tried them out on decoying ALL of us are well impressed with there stopping power and smoothness, dont knock you about at all, then the bonus (the price) we will certainly be ordering some more cheers Smokey

Fenboy

Think you will be pleasantry surprised with either Georges 32 gram 6 or 4.5s myself and 3 others brought 500 of each for roosting but also tried them out on decoying ALL of us are well impressed with there stopping power and smoothness, dont knock you about at all, then the bonus (the price) we will certainly be ordering some more cheers Smokey

I tried some of georges cartridges , the HI speed in 4.5 and 5s , did not like them at all far too punchy for decoying where I may use 200 or more in a day , and that was in a auto too.

I also had some of his proper pigeon 6.5 shot , they were better and killed well enough but both those and the HI speed were very dirty .

I have never required a shot size bigger than a 6 for pigeon even for roost shooting I would rather have a lot of pellets in the load so more get through the branches rather than hoping a hit with a couple of larger pellets will do the job .

If i had to stick to one cartridge only then it would be a 28 gram Fiocchi in a 7

• 8 months later...

if you chaps tell me what you want then I can load accordinley if you try some of mine and too bumpy I can load for the job as regards dirty that is the double base powder you are getting the best of gear at a low price when you see my carts on high and I mean high game and you see the stopping power then you will know dirty do you not clean your gun when finished it doesn't say I make one cartridge and stop hove many times have you read on a cartridge box words like new improved that's why their is as many cars and colours of cars on the road so the story ends with well you cant keep every body happy but thanks for your input george

30 gram 6's for me or 32 gram 5's in lead but i prefer shooting steel now tbh as most of my shooting is at ducks so if i get a chance at the pigeons its 32 gram 4 r 5's for me in Gamebore flavour from now on as im used to the speed and they will kill pigeons all day long.I shoot 3's and 1's at ducks and will kill consistently to 50 yards.

These days use mainly size 6 lead shot [2.6mm/0.102 thou] in 30 gram home loads but always have some 34 gram for left barrel/longer range, both loads are under 1300fps so quite pleasant to shoot.

I have tried 32 gram high velocity loads in the range 1300 to 1500 fps [American data] and I find they all have quite heavy recoil compared with the 34 gram load hence I don't bother with them.

Just what suits me, this is an interesting thread reading up on what others use, its got me thinking about 28 gram load with a smaller shot size like a size 7 [2.4mm/0.095 thou].