At last mission pinkfoot is complete

fenboy

As you may be aware I was determined to get my first foreshore pink this season.

It was proving difficult as despite being under them on numerous occasions they have always been to high for a shot and when I did manage one the outcome was not as I intended .

On reading of my woes a couple of people offered to take me out on different marshes where hopefully I would get a better chance .

One of those was Muncher of this forum who's invite I gladly accepted .

A morning flight was soon arranged for today , and I met Muncher ( Jules ) at 4.30 am at the suggested location .

He was a little concerned that there was a good moon for the geese to have already moved and as we stood by the cars we could hear a few over the fields behind .

After a good walk to the spot we were pleased we could still hear pinks calling out on the mud so knew we would perhaps get a chance when they decided to move

The first small skeins started to move early but were wide of us over the water , the geese were soon starting to get more vocal and we knew it would not be long before they started leaving the mud proper.

Sure enough they started to lift with a few more going wide and then Jules spotting some and telling me they were heading straight towards us , unknown to each other I was actually watching a different skein to the ones he had spotted , they were coming in from my left at a nice shootable height , when they got in range up went the gun and the first shot rang out a miss from me but I kept swinging through the bird and it crumpled dead with my second shot , I knew this one was going nowhere and I had my pink :yahoo: even better jules despite being surprised by my shot managed to drop one out of the same skein

A few minutes later I saw Motty drop one so we all had a goose.

A few more came over but higher , then another bunch started heading in our direction , when they arrived they were a tad further up than the first we shot but still within range so a repeat performance again saw a miss followed by a second shot kill , jules also managed a second goose .

The flight was all but over and the last few we saw were getting ever higher so I went out with the dog who had his first retrieve on a goose another highlight of the day for me.

I would like to say a big thank you to Jules again, a true gent who did everything he could to ensure I got a shot even ensuring that I shot before he did.

They say you always remember your first time and I certainly will !

pinkfoot3_zpsfff08ea9.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welldone, you certainly look happier than the geese :)

Have you any challenges to move on to next?

I think getting a pink from the wash is always a challenge so would be more than happy to get another one !

I think my next challenge is perhaps a pintail as I am yet to shoot one of those either , and a foreshore greylag would also be nice.

I think getting a pink from the wash is always a challenge so would be more than happy to get another one !

I think my next challenge is perhaps a pintail as I am yet to shoot one of those either , and a foreshore greylag would also be nice.

Well good luck :-), I'm sure that now you have your first that you'll get onto a winning streak