Moving Christmas

Doc Holliday

59 members have voted

1. 1. Should Christmas be the third weekend in December?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know

I don't know about you guys but this lily livered, half ***** approach to working between Christmas and New Year really grinds on me. Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas and I love New Year. I just hate the apathy that seems to be prevalent at the days in between.

Trying to find a business that is open for regular trading is nigh on impossible. They're either open for half a day or closed for stock taking or 'kinda open but not really'. I just wish it was one or the other. At least we would know where we stand.

If I'm brutally honest, I would rather they were open so regular self-employed guys like me aren't forced to take days off unnecessarily. In fact, a better idea yet would be Christmas being treated with the same token that we give Easter. Christmas should be the third weekend in December. We all have the Friday and Monday off then back at it. None of this silly 'Are we open? Are we closed?' attitude. One weekend. Bang! Done!

And everyone should be self employed too. I don't understand this being paid for time off lark. The country would be so much more productive too, but that's another argument. Back to the original.

Christmas day has been pushed around from pillar to post by Roman Emperor's and God knows who else so we don't really know when the birth of Christ was, so I don't see any problem with this. Ok, it means the dates would change every year but this happens with Easter so, again, where's the problem?

I'd like to here your views so please vote 'For' or 'Against' Christmas being the third weekend in December. Oh, and New Year's day should be a working day too. We can have the first Monday off to make up for it but we're not voting on that.

Nah, leave it where it is. I'm self employed also. I take around two weeks off and really look forward to it, but am never stuck for anything to do. I'm either painting for myself or shooting, or if the kids have nothing better to do, spending time with them. Have been shooting four out of the last seven days as most other folk are off also, so the invites come in thick and fast. :)

The only time I get bored is if we run out of drawings when subbing to local builder, but then I just go home and get on with something else.

I tend to think that it would be a lot simpler if we could have it all in one week then we could finish work on friday have a week off and go back to work on monday it would make life a hole lot simpler

By the way you cannot just move christmas I think that you will find that it is the day that Jesus was borne or something like that.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

I'm also self-employed. We got everyone's furniture back to them for Christmas, and decided to close through to the 4th, re-opening on the 5th. I'm loving the break! ****** off that I can't shoot, due to a frozen shoulder though. Cortizone injections and physio haven't worked, and it's looking like it might need to be surgery... Not looking forward to that, as it may mean up to 6 weeks enforced time off...

Happy New Year to all,

Mike.

Go work then and stop complaining, some of us enjoy our much earned time off.

You muppet :-D that's my point. It's hard for me to run my business normally as other businesses are only open for a few hours, if at all. That in turn means I'm unable to offer my clients a full service until the usual shirkers decide to get their rear ends back in to some kind of normality, which generally seems to be at least 3 days in to the new year.

You need to stop Doc - my reading of your comments suggests you are possibly too 'stressed' about your work, which I am sure you are very good at.

You do need to go with the flow perhaps a little more and if you need something to do, do it with the family - get them out clay shooting for example. Being unable/unwilling to stop tends to be a sign of pressure if not stress - neither of which are better for you than relaxation, even enforced.

P.S. this is just one view - feel free to ignore it !

Best wishes for the business for the New Year !

You muppet :-D that's my point. It's hard for me to run my business normally as other businesses are only open for a few hours, if at all. That in turn means I'm unable to offer my clients a full service until the usual shirkers decide to get their rear ends back in to some kind of normality, which generally seems to be at least 3 days in to the new year.

The only muppet is the person that actually wants to work over christmas.