What choke grease to use?

joecash

the little tub of grease that came with my 12g shotgun chokes is nearly empty.

I have looked at choke "replacement" grease and it seems very expensive.

So I intend to use "motor vehicle" axle grease which is as cheap as chips.

I clean my gun after every shoot including the choke threads.

Any "grease" or lubrication experts on here who would agree or disagree with the use of motor vehicle axle grease?

thanks

can you not just use normal gun oil?

I use a bottle of abbey gun oil (not a solvent) and this seems to work ok but just want to double check this is ok?

Cheers,

Mitch

Anything is better than nothing , but the choke is more likely to come loose if using oil rather than grease

Anything is better than nothing , but the choke is more likely to come loose if using oil rather than grease

Perfect thanks mate!

I had noticed i had to tighten it once or twice when shootiong lots of clays!

sad as i had advice to oil the choke threads from a video on youtube by Beretta themselves!

Cheers,

Mitch

can you not just use normal gun oil?

I use a bottle of abbey gun oil (not a solvent) and this seems to work ok but just want to double check this is ok?

Cheers,

Mitch

Better to use grease than oil on threads. Another reason to use copper slip, or anti seize compound as its also found, is to help stop the choke seizing into the barrel!

Better to use grease than oil on threads. Another reason to use copper slip, or anti seize compound as its also found, is to help stop the choke seizing into the barrel!

Yer tried to take the choke out of the barrel from my winchester sxp and suddenly realised its been in there since i bought it a couple of months ago as i couldnt find my choke key!

that took a big lever and a lot of force to get out! (once i found my choke key of course!)

Thanks for the advice!

Cheers,

Mitch

Only use branded choke grease, I make a special trip to the house of bruar for mine.

It contains things other "normal" greases don't, guaranteed to release your chokes.

It comes in 15ml easy squeeze tubes which are around £47.50 each, you need one per choke and you need to remember to replace it every other day.

On a serious note, copper slip is abrasive choke threads are pretty fine, iv never had any problems using moly grease.

Only use branded choke grease, I make a special trip to the house of bruar for mine.

It contains things other "normal" greases don't, guaranteed to release your chokes.

It comes in 15ml easy squeeze tubes which are around £47.50 each, you need one per choke and you need to remember to replace it every other day.

On a serious note, copper slip is abrasive choke threads are pretty fine, iv never had any problems using moly grease.

Holy Carp thought you were being serious for a minute! lmao

Heard of moly grease and they sell it in sportsmans so ill give that a go!

Cheers,

Mitch

Vaseline,stops them coming loose as well.

This has always been my choice - Vaseline, of course, being a brand name - but the product is refined petroleum jelly and has all the correct properties for gun/ choke greasing - i.e., sticky, high melting point, and lubricating properties.

White grease that you can buy in tubes from motor factors and the such like is essentially the same with an emulsifier in it to make it thicker, and is useful insofar as its in tube rather than a tub.

Yes, that is correct - most petroleum products have melting points below room temperature, i.e., they are liquid, and not so suitable for applications such as choke tubes. Hi melting point oils and greases are not fluid at room temperature, and petroleum jelly is one of these. In the relative world of mineral oil products, petroleum jelly and all greases that are not liquid at room temperature are classified as high melting point.

I don't like using anything greasy where combustion gaas can get to it. I've always used a drawing pencil 4B or similar. Rub all over the chocke threads & you get a nice dry lubricant (graphite) that has NO chance of baking on if the barrels get hot. It's also very cheap :good:

Lucas gun oil off the bay. Red tacky oil designed for use on machine guns, which run at rather high temps. Also use on the slide bolt rails on auto's. A bottle will last several years at around £6 a bottle. Their red tacky motor grease is good for the hinge pins too. A tube should last for ever at about £5. I have used this stuff for some 12 years and have just started on the second bottle of oil using once per week. It's not as messy as copper slip either !

Edited by Westley