American sniper - the film

Reeceknight

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Afternoon all, last night I watched American sniper, great film giving a great insight into America's deadliest ever sniper. 155 confirmed kills but 250 recorded in his daily notes. Furthest kill was just over a mile against an Iraqi sniper.

Obviously with it being a Hollywood blockbuster there's sure to be some muddling of the facts but still a great watch. I won't spoil it for the people who haven't seen the film but some real tough calls for him to make while out in the 'field'. If you haven't seen it definitely give it a watch.

ATB 425

We went initially to see Taken 3 but it was packed so went to see American Sniper instead and weren't in any way disappointed.

As is said, there may well be some Hollywoodisation of the facts but that doesn't detract from some great action and insight into how war effects the participants.

Highly recommended.

Oh, and it has Sienna Miller in it (with dark hair) if that sways anyone's minds who are thinking of going.

I actually thought it was a very good film, having not read the book but knowing a little about the guy from reading accounts on the internet.

It's certainly not all god bless America and uh rah marines are the greatest. I think it's well balanced between his life away from the military as well as a fair bit of action to keep the pace rolling along.

He is portrayed as someone who wants to protect as many of his pals and other soldiers as he can and do what he feels is for the good of his country.

With regards the shooting, I think it's realistic (obviously I've no reference to real combat) but numerous times you see him ranging targets at only a couple of hundred yards. It's not like shooter where he's aiming off and delivering 800m head shots at people in speeding jeeps, it's nothing like that at all.

My girlfriend and I saw it the other night and we were both impressed. There was a bit of talk about it on Radio 4 the other day. The film was already in the pipeline before Chris Kyle was murdered, so the ending probably reflects that. The producers had already met Chris and the actors had got together to talk about it, so I guess that explains to some extent the abruptness of the end. Most of the incidents in the film are factual, and the veterans he (bradley cooper) meets at the end are real vets and their stories are exactly what happened to them. I think that bit's unscripted. Cooper was asked to go in and just chat with them, and they filmed it as it happened. As has been said, it's not really about the Iraq War, or snipers or politics. As with a lot of Eastwood's characters, it's about Chris, and him as a person. We went purely on the strength of it being directed by Eastwood and he didn't let us down!

Just watched the film tonight, thought it was quite a good film & not too OTT, it's the first film I've watched in the cinema where everyone was silent leaving. I think the film was respectful to Chris Kyles character & memory & also probably quite accurately reflects the mental & emotional toil that serving in places such as Iraq & Afgan would have on you eventually.

I have also seen it thought it was brilliant, as a film geek I think it's been a long time coming to have a film like this, seeing the damage it caused him mentally etc good to see they showed this hardcore sniper (like he was portrayed) and the next scene was him holding back tears at home. really good film and not "yeeehaaaa America" that I thought it would be.

I also found non of it that far fetched. now I might have done if I hadn't read that a few of the blokes in the film was navy seals and help direct scenes and that Chris kyles right hand man actually help train badly cooper for months on a rifle and help direct scenes. He must of had some say in it to make it realistic. either way it was a good watch and good to watch somthing from the norm.

Having read the book many months ago I watched the film with some trepidation about how it would be cut short and fragmented, not as encompassing and it was. It had to be. But to be fair, I thought Cooper did a brilliant job, Eastwood did his part with the direction and overall I thought it was solid. I'd see it again but I'd choose the book over the film for the real idea of what made Chris Kyle tick, Oh and there was no sign or mention of the 'Jesse Ventura' scene lol.