Anyone downsized to a 20g?

cpaulc

My current 686 special is a bit on the heavy side for my liking now that I've had several walked up days. I know that I could always buy a field\game version which would be lighter, or switch back to a 20g. I learnt using a silver pigeon 20 when taking school kids to a clay shooting lesson, I just used the same gun and got on just fine with it. I'm reasonably slight and they seem (to me anyway) to fit me and my hands better. Besides the lack of heavy (32g+) cartridges, and costs anything else to consider?

Anyone else downsized ? Thoughts welcomed.

I've downsized to a 20 gauge Franchi Alcione One. It's not that light at 6 3/4lbs but enough lighter than a 12 to be quite noticeable and far more pleasant to carry. Unlike a light 12 its made properly and doesn't have an ali receiver.

I shoot clays by the hundred using 24 gram loads and pigeons in numbers using 28 gram loads.

There aren't many areas where it isn't up to the job and despite shooting significant numbers of shells recoil is never an issue. I used to own a 20 gauge Silver Pigeon but that did seem to kick a bit, maybe being sub 6lb was a little too light for the loads I use.

Shot a 12b for 20 years before going to a 20b, it's all I own now and put in the right place with the right load will kill as well, if not better than a 12b IMO.

I kept my 12b for 18 months after buying my first 20b but after barely using it in that time sold it on.

If funds allow I'd suggest doing the above.

DON'T DO IT.....................get a 28 bore instead. If you like Beretta SP then get the 28 on the smaller 28 bore action ( not the 28 on the 20 bore action). Pair it up with 21-24 grammes of shot and you'll never look back.

I had a 20 bore EELL and bought a SP1 in 28 bore on a whim and never picked up the 20 bore again.........sold the EELL in the end as I never used it.

You won't regret it......I promise.

I have been without a 20 bore for about 7 years and have just bought a very nice mk 60 with 30 inch barrels . There is absolutely no difference in killing power between a 20 bore and a 12 bore . I like the way the light 20 swings and is super for decoying . Hadn't shot one for about 7 years and managed to shoot 37 pigeons with it on my first outing for 46 cartridges and I managed to take feathers out of most of them .

Harnser.

If you are a decent shot or shoot birds at close range then go for it. I nearly got to that point myself but I reduced my shooting instead.

The best shot I know uses a 20 to devasting effect on anything within 50 yards or more, in the right hands they kill as well as any 12.

Beretta 20s are lovely bits of kit, I did handle a 525 Browning the other week, as a died in the wool Beretta man it handled nicely, I would happily have shot it.

A

I'm looking at doing the same thing, I have 4 12b but do a lot of walked up/rough shooting and I love the way a 20b handles it suits me for some reason very whippy. I can't see the difference really there's the same amount of lead in a 28g 20b as a 12 if you shoot them in the right place all that matters.

I have a 2012 b525 Its a grade one but has lovely wood so if anyone fancies a swap for a 20 let me know

I bought my Miroku MK 60 6 yrs ago. Had it multi choked by Nigel Teague and at the same time some minor stock adjustments (cast/drop). For my age and build it is ideal in balance and weight.

Latterly the chance of a Beretta SP 20 bore came along. Back up the road to Nigel Teague's to have the stock fit matched to the Miroku.

Both really good guns. Do all I ask of them with 28 grm 6's. By preference I would not now venture back to a 12 bore.

Downsizing is the wrong word, refining is the term.

I've never looked back, I still have a 12g, but I absolutely love my 20.

It may just be me, but the longer range pattern on 'my' guns, the 20 pips it.

I'm surprised they're not the calibre of choice.

ideal walk about/hide gun......for clays still prefer 12g but interestingly and without conscious effort now have 3 20g and just 1 12g......think its part of a maturing shooters progress?!.......dont see it as a downsize see it as evolution and part of keeping my shooting interesting...and my cabinet full!

• 3 weeks later...

Gone and found one. It took me a while, but I've got myself a Medalist, I know its not a real browning but I'm not too fussed, its fits OK and is (so far) nice to use. I've got FAC on the way so I think I may have to decide on shifting my Beretta now to make room for a rifle or 2.

Thanks for all your advice and thoughts

Years ago it was the fashion for gun makers to make light weight, short stocked 20 bores. Their market was youngsters and ladies. A lot of these guns were made for purpose and were suited to light weight loads.

The guns often weighted five and a half to 6 pounds. Obviously such guns were hopeless in the hands of gorilla man. He often pooh poohed these guns.

The modern 20 bore is a completely different tool. It can cope easily with 28g loads, often comes as standard with 14-15 inch lop and weighs over 7lbs. A veritable "mean machine".

I hope I haven't put you to sleep......zzzzz

Edited by Whitebridges