Gas Barbecue Recommendation Please

Thunderbird

Right I'm after a new BBQ. I want a semi-portable (so either table top and/or with folding legs) gas BBQ, must have a hood so I can roast in it, but budget wise I'm flexible. If a fifty-quidder will do the job then fine but if it's something like this, as a longer terms solution, then so be it.

Opinions and experiences welcome. Thanks.

Cant really offer any advice on makes, but one mistake we made when we bought the last one was to get just a gas one and not either one that is charcoal or one that is gas and lava blocks(this is the type we had before). The just gas types cook ok, but I think they lack the BBQ flavour.

Mick

I have both - Gas is great as I can quickly grill dinner after getting home from work in the summer.

Whatever you get - just make sure you can buy spares now, and in the future. BBQ's do corrode - even the stainless ones the burners burn out, and if you can't get spares, you basically have a heap of scrap metal.

If the seller swears blind that you can get spares in the future (they all do), call his bluff and order a few spare burners with your order - you will need them eventually. If he can't supply - look elsewhere.

I had a gas barbie when we lived in Cyprus. In it's favour, it was convenient to fire up at the drop of a hat. On the down side, anything cooked on it tasted no more barbecued than if it was done under the kitchen grill. I messed around with soaked hickory and oak chips to try and recreate a proper smoky flavour, but it never worked satisfactorily and just made the thing as much of a PITA to use and clean as a charcoal one. I gave it away in the end and reverted to a Webber style charcoal barbecue. Normal service (and flavour) resumed. If convience is important, buy one. If flavour is important, think twice. I'd never buy another.

Edited by Blunderbuss

Weber Q series, do a small portable one that also has a stand. I've the large Q320 and love it.

Use this one http://www.bbqworld.co.uk/weber-barbecues/weberq/weber-Q1000-series.asp

+1 if it has to be portable. My Bro has had one for years. Get a dual burner for extra control.

Can also highly recommend BBQ world. Bought my Napoleon gas one off them and plenty of tools/extras over the years. Excellent service from them.

Weber.

The rest are tat. You can leave them out all year and come round to use, they work and ain't rusted. Try that with B&Q £100 job!

To be fair, any stainless steel job won't rust. Mine cost about £300 from costco about 10 years ago - still going strong, only replaced burners and heat deflectors - readily available (I do have to bring them in from the US though). A fully stainless gas weber is upwards of £1k

Love me gas BBQ. Can fit a whole muntie in the spit. Hot plate on one side and a hot ring for the hot dips. But a little to big for your need Duncan.

Have a look in go outdoors for the camping ones, abut the size your looking for but try and get one with brickets and use fatty meat to start the smoking.

I also liked the desposable ones as you can get a good burn but it don't last long enough

Had to replace my old gas one as I used it to dry a rifle barrel I painted and then stank to high heaven. Was thinking about getting another smaller one for range use. Will have to have a chat with fruity

Thanks for all the replies. I used to have a massive Weber one with a hood and that did give a reasonably authentic BBQ flavour due to the way it worked with the fat falling onto special bars then smoking back up again.

Thing is, in this particular location I'm compelled to use a gas one, as charcoal is not allowed otherwise I would get one.

Reckon I'll go Weber Q series.

Thanks for all the replies. I used to have a massive Weber one with a hood and that did give a reasonably authentic BBQ flavour due to the way it worked with the fat falling onto special bars then smoking back up again.

Thing is, in this particular location I'm compelled to use a gas one, as charcoal is not allowed otherwise I would get one.

Reckon I'll go Weber Q series.

Gas BBQ it is then :):):)

Did you watch that annoying bloke touring around Argentina eating mostly bbq? Reckon the method of cooking a side of beef over a fire, looked pretty damned good and it took 3 hours, so with the amount of alcohol consumed during the cooking process, it wouldn't matter how it tasted!! I wonder who amongst us would be able to knock up a suitable contraption to allow such a cooking method. Neil!!! :lol:

The BBQ flavour comes from the fat dripping onto the coals and smoking so no coals or lava blocks means it's not a BBQ but an outdoor grill, I have yet to see one that won't take lava rocks in the bottom around the burners though although mine wasn't supplied with any as is the same with many nowadays but a quick trip to B n Pooh solves that problem though, mines stainless and has lived outdoors for about 6 or 7 years now and it's still in excellent condition, gas BBQ for ease of lighting and heat control with lava rocks added is the way forward unless your a Neanderthal or like to make things difficult for yourselves