Pigeon behaviour differences round the country?

turbo33

Pigeon shooting over OSR :lol: Every year we fall for it. We drive past huge numbers piling in at first light and last thing before the light fades. Numbers in excess of 700 birds, flowing like a river onto a field on our perm, have us heading off to the gunsmiths for as many cartridges as he has left in stock. A sleepless night, imagining the melting barrels and the osteopaths fees for lugging 300 birds off the field. Realising that in order to survive , the pigeon has leaned to evolve from us doing an Archie Coats, and using/throwing dead birds out, some are spending many hundreds of pounds on equipment to out whit the grey hoards that are becoming ever wiser to our attempts to put them on a plate accompanied by a bed of warm rocket and a balsamic dressing.!

Non of us succeed. The usual return is less than a dozen birds for a days shooting. The usual story, 1 shot and they are off. F Book is full of videos of huge flocks of pigeons, swirling and raiding like a swarm of locusts, and yet all the follow ups have been of a wasted day out.

Now I want to make this absolutely clear.This is absolutely not a go at our most consistent and revered member, more a question? Whilst the rest of the country is drawing blanks, and it seems every one is in the same boat, how does one go out with 12 thawed birds each week and do a ton on pretty much each occasion? Is this a difference in the behaviour over the country? :yes:

Has me baffled. :yes: And only mildy frustrated :lol::lol: Hats off to you, :good::good:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost pointed out one of us succeeds but I see you got round to the exception in the end , as for how he does it , photo shop :lol:

I think he is in fact a anti trying to kill us off by raising our blood pressure while we pull our hair out as to why we can not shoot bags like him every week of the year !

There seems to be behavioural differences in pigeons in different areas. Our tash sporting hero seems to be able to find where the pigeons will oblige and commit to his decoys. He just has a knack of finding the right places to shoot.

Maybe i am missing something (if so please tell me, PC!), but i can't consistently get pigeons to behave in the winter months, unless it is on a crop other than oilseed rape. My best bag at this time of year was 194 on sugar beet tops a few years back.

There seems to be behavioural differences in pigeons in different areas. Our tash sporting hero seems to be able to find where the pigeons will oblige and commit to his decoys. He just has a knack of finding the right places to shoot.

Maybe i am missing something (if so please tell me, PC!), but i can't consistently get pigeons to behave in the winter months, unless it is on a crop other than oilseed rape. My best bag at this time of year was 194 on sugar beet tops a few years back.

I think it would be very interesting to see what would happen if PC moved to Essex. :yes:

Observation, observation, observation.

Yup, have observed three farms over the last two weeks, huge amounts of pigeons on all, and I mean HUGE amounts. It not a case of being overshot either, as no one can get a shot off!! They will not decoy, the flightlines are consistent for a maximum of 30 minutes then its all change. For some reason, and its why I asked the question, midlands pigeon seem to behave like summer stubble birds. :hmm:

I do not think the Brummie pigeons are any different to others, we just remember what works and what they did last time we shot.we have a lot of resident pigeons with all the woods in the Forest of Arden . They must feed to survive you just have to find the feeding places and shoot. We have a zero acorn crop this year and the birds have to eat so they are on the Rape , Ivy Berries and Turnips.

When we used to fish the fenland drains we would walk for miles to find a spot which was not disturbed , then we would catch plenty of pike and zander the guys that fished the bridges blanked

Edited by pigeon controller

I do not think the Brummie pigeons are any different to others, we just remember what works and what they did last time we shot.we have a lot of resident pigeons with all the woods in the Forest of Arden . They must feed to survive you just have to find the feeding places and shoot. We have a zero acorn crop this year and the birds have to eat so they are on the Rape , Ivy Berries and Turnips.

When we used to fish the fenland drains we would walk for miles to find a spot which was not disturbed , then we would catch plenty of pike and zander the guys that fished the bridges blanked

That may well be the difference PC :yes:

Over the years, and including the last few weeks, I have been aware of two distinct groups of pigeons. The rape raiders and what I would regard as the resident population. The two do not mix and completely ignore each others presence. The residents are feeding on clover, beechmast, ivy berries and any left over pheasant feeders. The groups are quite different and number usually a max of 15-20. It may well be some areas of the country have, as you experience, a larger than average resident population, which I believe are more easy to get to play ball. Likewise, other areas will have proportionately more rape raiders. Just my observations, but could answer a lot of questions :yes:

They must be feeding somewhere , if you find that place then you should be able to decoy. W e travel approx 150 to 200 miles a weekend so we try not to hit the same flock for at least two weeks. We have winter and summer areas that produce at different times. When it's cold up north we tend to get an influx of birds . Without starting the migration debate I do believe we get travelling birds in our area which we take advantage of.

Interesting stuff. I don't think pigeon behaviour is different per-se but the geography certainly is. I'd like to know if anyone in the Sussex/Surrey/west Kent area is getting anything more than a handful, because I'm not, and I think it's because we have mixed farming separated by lots of woods and copses, there is just too much food around and rape isn't first choice on the menu. Pigeons in areas with exclusively arable land in central and eastern England will be forced to hit crops most days but round here I see a field with moderate flocks for a day or two, then nothing for weeks. I mostly see 10-20 birds at a time on pasture or in woods.

They must be feeding somewhere , if you find that place then you should be able to decoy. W e travel approx 150 to 200 miles a weekend so we try not to hit the same flock for at least two weeks. We have winter and summer areas that produce at different times. When it's cold up north we tend to get an influx of birds . Without starting the migration debate I do believe we get travelling birds in our area which we take advantage of.

Finding pigeons isn't the problem. It's the decoying part that's the problem. Flocks of pigeons that move as one are not easy to manage.

Interesting stuff. I don't think pigeon behaviour is different per-se but the geography certainly is. I'd like to know if anyone in the Sussex/Surrey/west Kent area is getting anything more than a handful, because I'm not, and I think it's because we have mixed farming separated by lots of woods and copses, there is just too much food around and rape isn't first choice on the menu. Pigeons in areas with exclusively arable land in central and eastern England will be forced to hit crops most days but round here I see a field with moderate flocks for a day or two, then nothing for weeks. I mostly see 10-20 birds at a time on pasture or in woods.

I'd bet money that those with access to maize cover strips will be shooting decent bags of pigeons.On farms all over the country there will be people shooting bags of 100+ on maize. There are lots of birds shot by LOTS of people who we will never see on pigeon watch.

I have seen strips of maize on my travels around North Norfolk this weekend that are covered in pigeons. I also saw the same thing in Cambridgeshire last week.

Whilst observation and field craft once the pigeons have been found play a huge part, I'll argue that certain areas hold a lot more pigeons than others and it's not just a matter of putting in the miles to achieve those big bags regularly (though that is clearly what it takes to maximise the potential bag in your area).

The biggest factor seems to be just how long that heavy flightline lasts, most good ton plus days will have a spell where things go crazy and you shoot a lot in a small period of time but this rarely lasts and is the difference between a good day and the huge 300+ you read of regularly by some.

It's this that I don't believe can be predicted, and in some areas the numbers just won't allow those bags/constant flightlines that don't dry up no matter how right you get everything?!

Observation, observation, observation.

I am looking forward to you decoying your new shooting grounds , in the land of the "genetic retards".............not because we want you to fail ......we want you to do well....then maybe we will pay closer attention to what you divulge..........then you and PC...Motty....et al will achieve the status of ORACLE de COLUMBUS....!! :lol:

All winter me and the people I shoot with on a estate in Kent full of rape have struggled To get numbers over 8 but in the last 2 weeks a lot of pigeons have turned up and seem keen to feed we have had bags of 58, 22, 25, 32 in the last 2 weeks, I do not have any clue why this is ? I do hope it continues though but I doubt it will

Edited by Charlie_79

I am looking forward to you decoying your new shooting grounds , in the land of the "genetic retards".............not because we want you to fail ......we want you to do well....then maybe we will pay closer attention to what you divulge..........then you and PC...Motty....et al will achieve the status of ORACLE de COLUMBUS....!! :lol:

I am no 'oracle'. Orifice possibly, but not oracle.

WHAT MOTTY, agreeing with a point I have wasted hours on this forun trying to make???? I'll wake up in a minute!!!

Seroiusly, one of my equally frustated Essex pigeon shooters brought a day in Wiltshire the other week - different world. A magnet and a few dead birds on an estate where the pigoens are not shot often and the crops are managed to suit - 5 of them shoot over 800!!!

I think it would be very interesting to see what would happen if PC moved to Essex. :yes:

He'd have me knocking on his door asking for guidance!!

IMO the two biggest factors to successful pigeon shooting is, A) How much time you have & B) How much ground you have access to. With a lot of time and a lot of ground you can find and shoot pigeons.

I wish it was that simple!! All the above conditions help of course but no certainty....

Edited by kitchrat