Mouse problem

philscreens

Wire wool and lots of it

Put it into every gap in every room you can

Remember that a mouse can fit through the tube of a BIC biro...

I have heard that said before , not sure how much truth is in it mind .

Plenty of little nippers and use chocolate or peanut butter as bait.

+1. On the wire wool. Any gaps from outside fill them with it . Be very careful with storage space for bedding duvets as they'll nest .

Keep all food contained and clean up spills once there in you've got to work methodically . Bait stations behind cupboards.

Think the biro means they can get through a space as wide as a biro as they can move the bones in there skull to flatten it.

All the houses close will be getting an invasion the ones with least resistance will get the most .

John.

1/2"x1/2" weld mesh kept them out of our old aviaries. They can get through 1"x1/2" though.

I'm lost, there must be some other reason if that kept them out.

A mouse will walk through that without touching the sides, it only needs about 6mm hole (1/4inch), a rat can get through a 12-13mm hole (I/2inch).

:good:

I'm lost, there must be some other reason if that kept them out.

A mouse will walk through that without touching the sides, it only needs about 6mm hole (1/4inch), a rat can get through a 12-13mm hole (I/2inch).

Your right found this article on mice and rat proofing your building. Don't know why they stopped going in the aviary unless it was the parrots turned omnivorous.

http://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/pages/publicationD.jsp?publicationId=23

Break back Traps, baited with chocolate for house mice, cereal based bait for field mice, sticky boards if you know where they are most active (by appliance motors in the kitchen, under kitchen units, in airing cupboards, food cupboards etc......and a mouse can get under a door if you can get a pencil/biro under it!

Poison bait from a hardware shop or other retail outlet is unlikely to work very well!

P1

Break back Traps, baited with chocolate for house mice, cereal based bait for field mice, sticky boards if you know where they are most active (by appliance motors in the kitchen, under kitchen units, in airing cupboards, food cupboards etc......and a mouse can get under a door if you can get a pencil/biro under it!

Poison bait from a hardware shop or other retail outlet is unlikely to work very well!

P1

Why would that be?

Because the % of poison in the premixed rodenticide available to the general public is reduced in line with H&S legislation, compared to the stronger professionally available stuff.

Understrength over the counter rodenticide is/was probably a major contributory factor poison resistance built up in rats and mice (so called super rats and super mice) well that's my understanding anyway!

And eat 100 times their own weight, smell cheese in a tuppe ware box at the bottom of the ocean and jump over a house. :lol::whistling:

Ah the naysayers

I am on mobile but a quick youtube brings up this - wouldn't say those bars were much wider than a biro, I'm sure there is better out there to prove this

Because the % of poison in the premixed rodenticide available to the general public is reduced in line with H&S legislation, compared to the stronger professionally available stuff.

Understrength over the counter rodenticide is/was probably a major contributory factor poison resistance built up in rats and mice (so called super rats and super mice) well that's my understanding anyway!

I think you will find the % active ingredient for DIY and Trade in ready to use product is almost always the same these days, commonly 0.005% with the two most common, Difenacoum and Bromadiolone.

The difference, and potential reason for resistance/immunity, is that Professionals allegedly know how to use the stuff, and do use it correctly, and DIY amateurs don't!

Edited by Dekers