Stanley flask

Scully

Bought one of these a few years ago but it just doesn't keep stuff hot. I've filled it with boiling water beforehand and left it for a while before filling it with coffee or whatever, but by lunchtime it's lukewarm.

It just sits unused in my kitchen and it's such a waste as I've gone back to a stainless one.

Mate took his back to the shop only to be told the warranty is only valid in the USA.

How does anyone keep anything hot in one of these?

I recently started using a glass inner type flask and wasn't very impressed initially.

I made a flask of coffee up by putting the coffee in the flask, boiling the kettle and filling the flask and had similar troubles to yourself.

As an alternative,

I made up the volume of the flask in a saucepan, half the flask of water and half milk, add the coffee and any sugar and bring to the boil, keep it on the boil a bit longer by keeping stirring before it boils over, Then fill flask and seal.

Doing it this way I found it was much hotter, much longer :good:

I think having a 'twist and pour' stopper also helps retain heat :unsure:

I got one too - returned it. If you do a search online you will find loads of people complaining. They used to be made in USA, how made in China, possibly by a different company who bought the 'Stanley' name.

If it is any help - these are the details of the person I spoke to at the local distributors:

Customer Services Telephone : 0116 2344646
Customer Services Fax: 0116 2358031
Email: gary.bottomley@burton-mccall.co.uk

I bought it from John Lewis - so returning was not a problem, but you should still be covered by legislation.

In the end I got one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001F514WC

Even after 24 hours - still hotter than I can drink it.

Thanks for the advice chaps, and especially that above, aris.

I will probably have the receipt somewhere but as I got it from a local agricultural store it will probably only be a generic till receipt with nothing itemised on it, but if I get in touch with the address you've supplied that perhaps wont matter.

Mine has 'made in china' stamped on the base, and no mention of USA. I wasn't aware the name had been sold. Thanks again.

Stanley have a life time guarantee, I have one and after a year it lost its vacuum,couldn't find receipt but contacted importers via the internet. I sent the faulty one back to importers and within two weeks received a replacement and have been happy ever since. If something is sold with a life time guarantee then that's what it should be as long as its their fault and you have not been using it to zero in your 50cal.

I have one its resigned to the cupboard , it will keep nothing warm for long , loads of complaints about them online , from what I read quality took a dive when they started making them in china.

The coleman and Thermos ones are pretty good.

I have one but it gave up the within a year of having it and has since resided in the back of a kitchen cupboard.

I no longer have the receipt but will use those contact details to see if I can get a replacement as it cost about £20 or so so it's gotta be worth a shot.

I got one too - returned it. If you do a search online you will find loads of people complaining. They used to be made in USA, how made in China, possibly by a different company who bought the 'Stanley' name.

If it is any help - these are the details of the person I spoke to at the local distributors:

Customer Services Telephone : 0116 2344646

Customer Services Fax: 0116 2358031

Email: gary.bottomley@burton-mccall.co.uk

Same details I had, the chap was very helpful and replace my faulty one though I probably will not buy a Stanley again.

I have 2 of the old original Stanley flasks bought around 1980's, both still going strong and work for around 10/12 hours before any heat loss. I do warm them with boiling water for around an hour before filling. I did also buy a new cup for one of them, when in USA.

Same details I had, the chap was very helpful and replace my faulty one though I probably will not buy a Stanley again.

After reading the comments online - and having only just got it, I decided to cut my losses and buy something else.

It seems to be hit or miss with quality - check the comments on the John Lewis website:

http://www.johnlewis.com/stanley-classic-vacuum-flask-hammertone-green-0-47l/p186518#tabinfo-ratings

One guy had it replaced 5 times.

And here:

http://offgridsurvival.com/stanleythermos/

Lots of Americans begrudging the loss of Made in USA Stanley flasks.

I have two stainless steel Aladdin flasks. They keep water hot all day. Have made a brew with water from these flasks 8 hrs after filling them at home.

I usually boil the water swill out the flask with boiling water then fill with boiling water.

Put cold milk in a small 300ml flask to keep it fresh. Then have tea bags and coffee in two small plastic boxes. Both flasks have the twist and pour tops. I just put coffee in one cup tea bag in the other and add the boiling water out of the flask. Fresh brew every time.

OH has milk in his tea. I drink my coffee black so I normally have to wait for it to cool down.

The flask I have are the Aladdin Adventurer. Same one the British army use. So you might be able to still get them through army surplus.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

I have two stainless steel Aladdin flasks. They keep water hot all day. Have made a brew with water from these flasks 8 hrs after filling them at home.

I usually boil the water swill out the flask with boiling water then fill with boiling water.

Put cold milk in a small 300ml flask to keep it fresh. Then have tea bags and coffee in two small plastic boxes. Both flasks have the twist and pour tops. I just put coffee in one cup tea bag in the other and add the boiling water out of the flask. Fresh brew every time.

OH has milk in his tea. I drink my coffee black so I normally have to wait for it to cool down.

The flask I have are the Aladdin Adventurer. Same one the British army use. So you might be able to still get them through army surplus.

Was just about to advise the exact same thing, my Aladdin 1 litre stainless flask is brilliant. Best I've had by a long way, still hot when I empty any remaining tea in the evening!

had the same problem with stanley flasks,have now got a thermos stainless king flask,best flask ive ever had, had it 18months now still keeps tea red hot

I have had the same flask for a number of years and it keeps the coffee really hot all day long . Just recently I left the flask overnight in the truck and emptied it out and it was still hot .

Harnser

me and my mate had glass flask`s and i broke them putting them in the car, so went out and brought my first stainless flask

it was a coleman flask and the first one heated my hands, sent it back and got another

this was the best flask i ever had, lasted me about 12 years

then i got one out of a camping shop(can`t remember the make) this was ok lasted about 5 years

and now i have a thurmos stainless out of asda £10 and this is good as well

An alternate to the Thermos could be a "Vango" Flask. I got one in 1986 and although its a bit banged around now it is still really good, conditioned with boiling water before re-filling with drink and it will remain hot for 24hrs + It hs one of the screw in tops with a pouring channel that someone mentioned.

When I was in the mob filled with just water it did me for a shave, brew and the porridge oats breakfast in a 24hr rat pack whilst other guys were still trying to get their hexi stoves on the go!

I think they now do a titanium one if you can afford it an weight is important!