Old tattoo

kyska

Just made an observation.

What is the swallow tattoo on the thumb web or neck all about? No one in my generation had one, is it just a past fad similar to Celtic tattoos?

Off, and on the subject, I know two people who have 'blue earings' as they went through borstal 'treatment'', it's obvious even now being 40, they are 'borstal'.

Doesn't it mean that you've been away for a long time? As in prison, military service, poor sense of direction etc. My (adopted) grandad had them either side of his chest and on his hands from his time away during the war I guessed, or maybe he just liked Swallows? I know he had a really **** one of snake wrapped around a palm tree from his time in Africa that resulted in the local tattooist losing his front teeth - Royal Marines, you've got to love 'em!

Edited by mick miller

I was pretty sure it was a nautical tattoo for sailors as Swallows always come home to the same place. While checking this theory, I also read that sailors would have them to show how many nautical miles they had done, as it was a big achievement to come home safely after such long travels in the early days of sailing. 1 Swallow = 5k miles and 2 = 10k miles showing experience. 

My Dad has one,he got it when in the Artillery,I will ask him when i see him what it means,he did tell me once but i forgot,i was more interested in the nude standing on a die six up with her pouring a very large glass of wine,discretely covering her bits.

My Grandfather (RIP) had dolphins from his wartime service, hence his motto, "never volunteer, never have a tattoo."

I always laugh when I read about football fans who have player's faces & numbers done a week before said player departs for pastures new (Andy Cole leaving both Newcastle and Man U caught a couple on the hop).

As for something as short-term an TV characters, why take the risk? As a child of the 70's, I was a fan of Jim I'll Fix It and It's a Knockout. Imagine my hindsight relief because my parents stopped me from having Jim and Stuart Hall tattooed on my **** cheeks...

As a professional mariner I can assure you I've never seen it at sea.

Surprisingly few "real" sailors get tattoos. Most that do, do it when ****** ashore and immediately regret it.

Which is slightly different from my experience.

Over the last 15 years I have spent somewhere in the region of 200 days a year at sea and know of several "old salts" that have swallow tattoos. It was always explained to me that it was a talisman for safe passage home, as per OJW's post above.

As a professional mariner I can assure you I've never seen it at sea.

Surprisingly few "real" sailors get tattoos. Most that do, do it when ****** ashore and immediately regret it.

I was pretty sure it was a nautical tattoo for sailors as Swallows always come home to the same place. While checking this theory, I also read that sailors would have them to show how many nautical miles they had done, as it was a big achievement to come home safely after such long travels in the early days of sailing. 1 Swallow = 5k miles and 2 = 10k miles showing experience.

Which is slightly different from my experience.

Over the last 15 years I have spent somewhere in the region of 200 days a year at sea and know of several "old salts" that have swallow tattoos. It was always explained to me that it was a talisman for safe passage home, as per OJW's post above.

Also as a retired professional MN mariner (also spending at least 6 months of the year away) I have to agree with Chris Bb, most of the tattoos I saw were the result of too much drink :)

and if 1 Swallow = 5k miles and 2 = 10k miles showing experience, I'd have run out of skin a long time ago :good:

Also as a retired professional MN mariner (also spending at least 6 months of the year away) I have to agree with Chris Bb, most of the tattoos I saw were the result of too much drink :)

and if 1 Swallow = 5k miles and 2 = 10k miles showing experience, I'd have run out of skin a long time ago :good:

Fair enough, hundreds of years ago on an old wooden ship I expect it was some feat to travel that far and return. Sounds like your doing the modern day equivalent spending 200 days a year at sea! Maybe come up with a new tattoo..

That's what I thought. One teardrop of every year in prison.

A lot of the Hispanic street gangs in LA use the same tattoo and numbering system for murders committed. Seem to remember seeing it on a Louix Theroux or Ross Kemp type programme.

My grandfather ended up in Austrian prisoner of war camp during the war and was desperate to survive . All the allied prisoners were trying to save trade and barter with each other, and with locals who came to the prison fence with scraps of food etc to help them survive.

His mate who could tattoo's so they agreed my grandad should get his arms tattooed with assorted regimental tattoos and colours and the usual pipers and swallows and then walk about the camp with his shirt off and any subsequent prisoners who wanted one my granddad and his mate shared the food , money or contraband.

The tattoos definitely helped him get through , but he said only crooks and crims had tattoos and was totally mortified and embarrassed by them .

When in public he always wore a smart shirt with sleeves buttoned down, even on the hottest days. He would only work in his garden with his sleeves rolled up.

He always told me and my brother as kids , never volunteer , never go to war and never let anyone tattoo you.