17HMR cracked case comparison

I know this might have already been done to death but had a load of empty cases jangling around in my pocket so had a look at them today.

Found a few that had cracked and they were all Winchester. The rest were all Hornady and fine, so either the manufacturing is better there or they've changed the process and these are newer rounds. The Winchester were bought in the USA, I recall (of course, getting the ITAR paperwork in place first :))

From left to right, Hornady, Winchester, Winchester. Interesting where the cracks seem to start (a few were like this).

Please note, I hadn't experienced any squib rounds/misfires with any of these

D5AEB7B2-D482-4F22-B1BD-C6C5FB9E2ADE.jpg

I've had Winchester cases split exactly like yours have I probably still have them somewhere but no squibs or hang fires. Like you I've had no split hornady cases either.

I must admit I was a bit nervous using Winchester but not had any other problems and my cz loves them but doesn't get on well with the v max

Re Remington, is that on any round or only when the cases have been split before firing?

Cheers

I believe the round which lodged in the barrel came from a case which had a crack or split before firing, but can't confirm as I didn't check beforehand. I did sort through the rest of the box after problems with the first round, and found 7 or 8 more unfired rounds with cracks/splits in their cases. Remington are the only manufacturer that I personally have had the split case issue with Edited by Mutiny

I have the same thing with my hmr with Winchester, my rounds are at least 18 months old, some maybe older. I still have maybe 250 rounds left. I feel that I should I return them to the shop but it's more than an hour round trip and I bought them a long while ago.

Edited by rimfire4969

I wonder if this could also be related to the specific chamber dimensions/specifications for particular guns as my Savage HMR hasn't suffered a single split case since the day it was bought, and it has had many rounds through it? Just a thought.

I think mine are related to a batch issue - out of the 900 and something rounds I've had through my rifle those cases are the only ones which have visible issues (which I have noticed), and they were all bought around the same time period

I wonder if this could also be related to the specific chamber dimensions/specifications for particular guns as my Savage HMR hasn't suffered a single split case since the day it was bought, and it has had many rounds through it? Just a thought.

I also think there may be something in this Savhmr. I have shot thousands of rounds ( mostly Hornady v-max and Winchester) through my Annie 1517 and i've never had a split case.

I check every round in and out.

If you inspect your cases before loading them you will see the ones that are split - before they have been fired. The split apparently occurs in the annealing process and I suspect they will have left the factory in that condition. As the primer is already in place the heat has to be applied to a very small area of the case.

I've made a point of putting split ones into my five round Sako Quad mag last so they get fired first and I have others left for a follow up if needed due to a bad hit. All fire as expected and my approximate 1 MOA SEEMS unchanged. Not bothered with checking them on a target board though.

I have not had a hangfire yet.

If you inspect your cases before loading them you will see the ones that are split - before they have been fired. The split apparently occurs in the annealing process and I suspect they will have left the factory in that condition. As the primer is already in place the heat has to be applied to a very small area of the case.

I've made a point of putting split ones into my five round Sako Quad mag last so they get fired first and I have others left for a follow up if needed due to a bad hit. All fire as expected and my approximate 1 MOA SEEMS unchanged. Not bothered with checking them on a target board though.

not quite dave the splits occur because they can't be anealed because the primer is allready in the base as such.

sold my hmr again today ,thats it i give up on hmr

Edited by zx10mike

not quite dave the splits occur because they can't be anealed because the primer is allready in the base as such.

sold my hmr again today ,thats it i give up on hmr

Ah - knew it was along them lines - old age senility to blame.

Given up on HMR then?

Edited by Dave-G

Got rid of mine 8 years ago.same issues! All makes of rounds . Never had one stuck in the barrel but I did notice poi shift with the split cases! An I don't like missing crows!! So it just had to go!

Replaced it a couple of years ago with a 17h. Load my own so just as cheap to run.. never looked back what an amazing little round! Taken several crows in last few months out to 300 yds

This issue scares the **** out me,and I have not had any splits(yet). Then again I have barely used the rifle- Ruger allweather.

Is it possible to have the thing bored out to .22RF.

Just thinking of a change for my renewals next year.

• 2 weeks later...