A Law unto themselves

tonker

Really?

So for instance a set of roadworks that reduces traffic to one lane and goes round a corner with lights on red at my end,

If I choose to ignore the "warning" and drive through, THEN hit a car who comes through on green at his end, I can't get done for it?

:shaun:

But why would you, or anyone, want to be stupid enough to ignore them? , Anyway, that wouldn't stop you being negligent.

Apparently the 1994 road signs act (called something like that anyway..) did make them illegal to jump. I haven't looked it up personally but I'd be careful giving out information like that without being 100% sure. Also anyone who has read that and wants to do it, just check for yourselves first.

Same comment again really. Just because the lights probably could be challenged in a court because they are the 'wrong height' or 'wrongly positioned' on the road or 'not a pair' and therefore don't comply with whatever regulation. That, doesn't mean they should be ignored or that they aren't there for a good reason. Why would anyone want to jump them? It just means that the cyclists in the OP may well (unfortunately) be able to get away with their antisocial behaviour. Following on from the title "A law unto themselves" Yes they probably are

Anyway, the paperwork and the effort is too great and the police are too overstretched, it was never going to happen in the first place

Edited by Vince Green

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really don't understand why we are all so intolerant of other people. I was accosted by a motorcycle vigilante the other week. I was stopped at a red light and, after realising I had neglected to turn my Bluetooth on before setting off, did so once stationary. This young guy in a blacked out visor pulls up in front of me, turns and stares for a good 10 seconds before pointing to the camera on the side of his helmet. During this time the light has turned green and he is now holding up the traffic. I give him the thumbs up and point to the light, telling him to never mind what I'm doing and pay attention to the road. Although I was turning my Bluetooth on, my focus was still on the lights. This guy had no clue what was happing in front of him because he was more interested in trying to 'catch me out'. As he pulls off he gives me the 'Way Anchor' sign, still trying to catch me on his camera so I smile and wave at him. If we all just focused on what we needed to focus on rather than worrying if those around us are obeying the rules of the road, then I'm sure it would all run smoothly for all and sundry. Ok, maybe it wouldn't but I like to think there wouldn't be as much hostility towards other road users. Life's too short for all this BS. Get on and live it. At the end of the day, who really gives a rats?

I really don't understand why we are all so intolerant of other people. I was accosted by a motorcycle vigilante the other week. I was stopped at a red light and, after realising I had neglected to turn my Bluetooth on before setting off, did so once stationary. This young guy in a blacked out visor pulls up in front of me, turns and stares for a good 10 seconds before pointing to the camera on the side of his helmet. During this time the light has turned green and he is now holding up the traffic. I give him the thumbs up and point to the light, telling him to never mind what I'm doing and pay attention to the road. Although I was turning my Bluetooth on, my focus was still on the lights. This guy had no clue what was happing in front of him because he was more interested in trying to 'catch me out'. As he pulls off he gives me the 'Way Anchor' sign, still trying to catch me on his camera so I smile and wave at him. If we all just focused on what we needed to focus on rather than worrying if those around us are obeying the rules of the road, then I'm sure it would all run smoothly for all and sundry. Ok, maybe it wouldn't but I like to think there wouldn't be as much hostility towards other road users. Life's too short for all this BS. Get on and live it. At the end of the day, who really gives a rats?

And there speaks the voice of reasoning! Well said that man :good:

I have they perfect way to get them back, me and my daughter call it giving them a shower. I get one at least every day and have timed it just perfectly to smack them straight in the face lol. All you do is just wash your window just before your about to pass and they get a face full of soapy suds. Surely its not illegal to wash your windscreen. It is funny we **** are selves laughing especially when you get the finger after they have wiped their face.

Well, whilst that's about as stupid a post as I have ever seen on here, it at least neatly proves the point a few have made that the clowns you meet on the road are just as likely to be on 4 wheels as they are two.

Passing either group is dangerous. If cyclists are using the group A formation, they are actively prohibiting other road users from utilising the road safely.

tosh

KW

How about in future you offer a reasoned explanation as to why you disagree with someones opinion, rather than deliberately dismissing their opinion with unwarranted and unnecessarily abrupt replies? Are you telling me that it would not be safer if the cyclists in formation A were spaced apart enough to comfortably fit a vehicle between them? To allow motorists the option of progressing on their journey without hindering either the cyclists or oncoming vehicles?

How about in future you offer a reasoned explanation as to why you disagree with someones opinion, rather than deliberately dismissing their opinion with unwarranted and unnecessarily abrupt replies? Are you telling me that it would not be safer if the cyclists in formation A were spaced apart enough to comfortably fit a vehicle between them? To allow motorists the option of progressing on their journey without hindering either the cyclists or oncoming vehicles?

The term tosh was used to address the term prohibit, the fact that because cyclists regardless of formation are in front of you, and the act of YOU overtaking, would put YOU in dangerous position does not mean you are prohibited it means you do not have enough grey matter to warrant the progression beyond mud skipper,so then you have to WAIT yes god forbid WAIT till the situation is safe to overtake, as with any act of overtaking anyone/ anything, ever been behind a wide load or an abnormally long vehicle, or 2 police horse's , a tractor /JCB etc are they prohibiting you getting past ? I would suggest not, they just make the act of getting past a little bit more of a consideration, will that do for you? or is your right foot like that of most inconsiderate idle car drivers in that its put direct to automatic unthinking foot down mode? and lord help anyone or anything that makes the act of lifting off come into play.

KW

You are obviously incapable of reasoned thought. If there were 100 cyclists, you'd have to wait a hell of a long time to safely overtake them. If there were 100 cyclists spaced to allow a vehicle in between them, you would be able to overtake sections of them with relative ease, in between oncoming traffic. Does that make sense?

You are obviously incapable of reasoned thought. If there were 100 cyclists, you'd have to wait a hell of a long time to safely overtake them. If there were 100 cyclists spaced to allow a vehicle in between them, you would be able to overtake sections of them with relative ease, in between oncoming traffic. Does that make sense?

So what? they have a RIGHT to be on the road, the speed limit for the section they are on is a max not a min, that reasoned enough?

KW

Edited by kdubya

So what? they have a RIGHT to be on the road, the speed limit for the section they are on is a max not a min, that reasoned enough?

KW

And there we have it !! I think, that is a cyclist's attitude, stuff everybody else I have a right to be here.

I don't have to try and make it easier, or safer for other road users. Try thinking of lorry drivers going down through the gears. They have no chance of overtaking a group of riders all together.

Edited by tonker

Y

KW

And with this reply, you have proven to everyone that you are indeed antagonistic by nature. Try being reasonable with people for a change. You might learn something from it.

While I think that most cyclists are a complete menace and pig ignorant I would like to point out that( from the OP) traffic signals errected by contractors at road works are not legally enforcable and are for guidance only. That doesn't mean we should ignore them.

I was under the impression that the old traffic signals (red/green only) were for guidance only but the new traffic signals (red/amber/green) were legal. You certainly don't see the old ones any more.

I may be wrong and am off topic but, what the Hell, who else cares?

And there we have it !! I think, that is a cyclist's attitude, stuff everybody else I have a right to be here.

I don't have to try and make it easier, or safer for other road users. Try thinking of lorry drivers going down through the gears. They have no chance of overtaking a group of riders all together.

I actually have three cars, and have had more motor bikes than you have had hot dinners, yet when I can I ride a cycle , so no my attitude is not one as cyclist singularly its one of a considerate rather than pig ignorant road user.

KW

Y

And with this reply, you have proven to everyone that you are indeed antagonistic by nature. Try being reasonable with people for a change. You might learn something from it.

No I am not antagonistic rather realistic, and not as you seem a pedant. by the way as for learning, learning is easy its the understanding bit that's hard?

KW

Edited by kdubya

Living in London and driving a huge amount centrally means I have seen my fair share of terrible driving and manoeuvring by both parties. One day you grow up and realise that you can't stereotype either group and appreciate I am not the perfect driver all day every day.

I sense cycling threads will soon go the same way as cat threads.

Kw,

Before stating a fact (I've had more bikes than you've had hot dinners) I've been riding motor cycles since I was 16 I'm now 62. That's a few bikes over the years. Just saying like . I'll leave this conversation at that.

have a nice evening.

Edited by tonker

Kw,

Before stating a fact (I've had more bikes than you've had hot dinners) I've been riding motor cycles since I was 16 I'm now 62. That's a few bikes over the years. Just saying like . I'll leave this conversation at that.

have a nice evening.

join the club 1st bike was an nsu quickly twin seatin 1967, work it out,had every thing from triumphs, enfields,suzuki's kwackers to BMW's and goldwing P reg,oh and a lethal horrible laverda jota that was genuinely determined to kill me, and yes at my age I still love to go to work on my cycle.I am not a selfish cyclist I am simply a hater of those who are beyond the term impatient and inconsiderate when it comes to those who are still capable of getting of their *****.

KW

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=e890b952c68badc787f30ff5d0bb6231&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=314911&p=2851791&md5check=d275bc5e97e4667f08aa9041726b1cd4&isRte=1,l8PuqRhht8,true,false,ZivIkwm5Wps');//]]></script> Cat-on-a-bike.jpg&&0

:lol: :lol:

Come on children, enough of the willy waving

:shaun:

Its no waving anything, its simply displaying a past in the wasted effort of trying to get the point across that if you do support cyclists (and yes among them there are tits like in every walk of life) you dont have to be a singular minded selfish cyclist, you can also be a very active motorist, albeit a considerate motorist ( a rare commodity in this thread) in that some can understand and recognise and that those on bikes need a little more in the way of consideration distance and patience, I had hoped you may have realised that, rather than as assumed it was look at my manhood stance.

KW

join the club 1st bike was an nsu quickly twin seatin 1967, work it out,had every thing from triumphs, enfields,suzuki's kwackers to BMW's and goldwing P reg,oh and a lethal horrible laverda jota that was genuinely determined to kill me, and yes at my age I still love to go to work on my cycle.I am not a selfish cyclist I am simply a hater of those who are beyond the term impatient and inconsiderate when it comes to those who are still capable of getting of their *****.

KW

:lol: :lol:

Oh the irony, ****