Greatest gun designer/ inventor or brand

Duckandswing

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How come?

hello UD.

because they invented my all time favourite bolt action and semi auto rifles, the kar98k,G98,G41k etc the mauser bolt action has stood the test of time and still used today,also been copied and used by lots of other countries around the globe.Reliable,robust,smooth and good looking.the k98 although a military rifle looks like a sporter which is another reason i like em.To be fair theres lots of guns i like but mauser always tops it for me and is nearly always what i end up reaching in the cabinet for.the enfield is my second favourite.

hello UD.

because they invented my all time favourite bolt action and semi auto rifles, the kar98k,G98,G41k etc the mauser bolt action has stood the test of time and still used today,also been copied and used by lots of other countries around the globe.Reliable,robust,smooth and good looking.the k98 although a military rifle looks like a sporter which is another reason i like em.To be fair theres lots of guns i like but mauser always tops it for me and is nearly always what i end up reaching in the cabinet for.the enfield is my second favourite.

Oh I know they were good and their range of cartridges are great too but they don't seem as diverse in their inventions as Mr Browning. Hey ho :-)

Oh I know they were good and their range of cartridges are great too but they don't seem as diverse in their inventions as Mr Browning. Hey ho :-)

tis true you have to be impressed by the sheer number of different designs that browning produced,his pistols in particular are still top contenders in todays world.Shame we cant use em anymore but thats a whole other debate eh.

To be fair Browning guns have most likely covered by far the greatest range of guns from aircraft, shotguns, machine guns, rifles, automatics and pistols

One thing we dont know is was he the main designer of of the brand or did others really do the design whilst working for him?

that is an interesting question....

Joseph Manton. The father of modern gunmaking and of whom James Purdey (the founder) said "but for him we should all have been a parcel of blacksmiths".

Google him.

He trained most of the people who were to found famous gunsmiths including James Purdey, Thomas Boss, William Greener (father of W.W. Greener), Joseph Lang and Charles Lancaster. They in turn went on to train the likes of Frederick Beesley, Henrt Atkin and Stephen Grant.

The present Joseph Manton business has no real connection (other than owning the name) and the records have been lost, but an excellent two volume book set (the Mantons, Gunmakers) exists by W Keith Neal and David Back detailing the work of Joseph and his (slightly less well known brother) John. Between then they are considered to have made the finest guns of their time, and a Manton muzzle loader in good condition will still handle and shoot as well as any gun of much more modern vintage.

Joseph Manton

Quite right - and I have added a little about him in my post above.

Edited by JohnfromUK

John browning without a doubt.

Sold his designs and patents to Winchester, Remington and FN amongst others.

It's pretty amazing how many designs he developed directly and/or how many designs were later based upon his early works.

Wonder how any years Winchester regretted not buying the rights to his A5 design when they had the chance.

W.w greener.not only did he invent the chokes in a shotgun he also has invented load of other things.

W.w greener.not only did he invent the chokes in a shotgun he also has invented load of other things.

I don't now what went wrong with my reply.

I don't now what went wrong with my reply.

In fact W.R Pape of Newcastle is credited with inventing choke boring. See http://bagnallandkirkwood.co.uk/our-history