What does everyone do for a living?

NorfolkAYA

Ive never pigeonholed myself, but, lots of the public that ive come across over the years have lol.

I had a comfortably paid job in the automotive industry, as always in the automotive trades, redundancy was on the horizon, i started to take a look around and after speaking to a very good mate, i realized that a binman can earm more money than managers in many other industries.

Ive never had any hang ups over job snobbery so i jumped ship, my only considerations were paying the mortgage and the welfare of my wife and kids.

Apart from higher wages, the even bigger bonus was lots more time for family and much less stress.

Well put. I used to work with a guy who was hung up on job titles, salary and cars.

I never ever share how much i earn with anyone. Does it make me a different bloke? of course not.

This cartoon from Punch sums it up.

Business-Office-Vintage-Lifestyle-Cartoo

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He claims he's some sort of Sir John Harvey-Jones type, but we all know he gets his money by organising dog fights. His hobby is people trafficking.

Sorry Mr Clark, I couldn't help myself.

Damn, I thought I covered my tracks so well, ah well now the truth is out there so anyone for a cheap foreign wife and some well chewed angry dugs?

Ive never pigeonholed myself, but, lots of the public that ive come across over the years have lol.

I had a comfortably paid job in the automotive industry, as always in the automotive trades, redundancy was on the horizon, i started to take a look around and after speaking to a very good mate, i realized that a binman can earm more money than managers in many other industries.

Ive never had any hang ups over job snobbery so i jumped ship, my only considerations were paying the mortgage and the welfare of my wife and kids.

Apart from higher wages, the even bigger bonus was lots more time for family and much less stress.

A chap yesterday delivered a log cabin for my garden and was telling me that his company are doing really well, but limited in being able to grow any more because they are struggling to get an additional delivery driver and sometimes cabin installer, he just delivered mine.

The pay is above average for the role apparently, but because the job involves some overnight stays nobody is up for it.

He gets to drive all over the country and after the truck is loaded he is his own boss, he has a reasonable schedule and the job is fairly interesting, yet people just don't want that number. I found it completely bizarre as I thought it would be a great job, but apparently nobody wants to do it.

More power to your elbow Mel for making the right job decision for you and your family.

A chap yesterday delivered a log cabin for my garden and was telling me that his company are doing really well, but limited in being able to grow any more because they are struggling to get an additional delivery driver and sometimes cabin installer, he just delivered mine.

The pay is above average for the role apparently, but because the job involves some overnight stays nobody is up for it.

He gets to drive all over the country and after the truck is loaded he is his own boss, he has a reasonable schedule and the job is fairly interesting, yet people just don't want that number. I found it completely bizarre as I thought it would be a great job, but apparently nobody wants to do it.

More power to your elbow Mel for making the right job decision for you and your family.

Morning graham.

Its a brilliant job for most of the time, it does have its down sides though, i spend my working day causing a traffic jam with my lorry so i get lots of verbal abuse, most of the public are ok but a lot seem to think that binmen are a bit thick and can get quite abusive towards us.

I know what you mean. I'm a scruffy Brummie most of the time and tend to play to the stereotype when I'm out and about. I rarely talk about work and if asked will usually say that I build cars.

Interested to see how many of this very mixed load of occupations come up against antis in the work place as fellow employees.

I suspect I'm one of the only ones who never encounters this.

I work in a small office but with people from varied backgrounds, not one anti among them. In fact they take quite an interest in my hobby and often ask how my weekend shooting went :good:

At my part-time employment there's a fat lass who cleans the cars we deliver and she's anti. Hasn't spoken to me for 2 yrs but given the state of her (BMI probably high 30's, stinks of tobacco and lives on Red Bull) its not too big a problem. She also has issues with an old guy who is a big carp angler. Horrible if you have to spend time in a car with her - the smell and if it's a small car her fat **** can hang over the handbrake.

I always play the onedowmanship card when people as what i do then let them draw their own conclusions. Much more fun.

A lad/chap of 23 (he was 21 when he joined us) is getting tectchy because he has to stay away a couple of days a month yet it's a brilliant job and he loves the rest of it.

Morning graham.

Its a brilliant job for most of the time, it does have its down sides though, i spend my working day causing a traffic jam with my lorry so i get lots of verbal abuse, most of the public are ok but a lot seem to think that binmen are a bit thick and can get quite abusive towards us.

It saddens me when so many people are dismissive about service jobs, ignorance is a terrible thing.

We have developed such a terrible sense of entitlement that we have become almost contemptuous about people who do essential tasks to the point that we can even look upon them as being an inconvenience to our daily activities.

Yes, quite bizarre. We don't have a company truck any longer, but when we did I would get to drive it all over the country and even the Isle of Man. Great fun, including staying away.