Midland Game Fair

DazzJo

From what I am reading tbe organiser's are doing a good job of shutting down what was the best game fair of the year.

Let your feelings known to "country man fairs" good or bad I am sure Ian Harford would take on board your comment's and try and improve things for next year.

lol

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went today in at 8.30 left at 5.30 sorry but I had a good day weather spot on,there was not as many gun stands and

a lot of the smaller clothing stands missing but I don't go to look at guns so not that bothered

Had a hour with several of the basc team about bits and pieces ,over a hour talking to dog owner's and trainers in the dog tent interesting people and dogs,watched some things in main Araena,never done any ferreting but stood and listened to a chap giving a bit of a talk and found it interesting.most of the ****** were around the drinking areas and I've seen a lot more of them in the past.watched some dog scurrys and tests.

So all in all a good day back in tomorrow,don't get hung up on looking at guns and shopping it's a country game fair not a retail park,sorry if me post as been a little long winded go and enjoy the whole experience

ATB

postie

Got there about 08:30, the mist had cleared and the sun was out to play. A good day had a walk around the stands and met a few friends, went down to have a butchers around the BASC stand.

Ate our picnic by the main arena while watching some of the demos/displays there which were good. Would go again next year, but would like to see a bit more in gunmakers row.

The wife pointed out that some people were taking the mick with the amount of dogs they had with them, one couple thought it a good idea to try to bring there small dog into a trade tent and trip everyone up with the lead/dog.

Mick

We went on sat, it wasnt good tbh. Picked up a few bits n bobs (got a lovely 250 cartridge carrier from Mad Cows a a bargain price), hardly any gun stalls compared to food n drink that is ! Youngest wanted to go on BASC have a go stand, queued for a bitonly to be told "we are shutting for a while while we clear the backlog", we didnt go back which was a shame.

I will be sending an email to Countryman gamefairs as we need these things to flourish as it is as much of a mainstream event as we are likely to see.

Spent a bit of time at Paul Harts stand waiting for the wife and the amount of people asking is that a real bird (on the flapper) was hilarious. More concerning was the amount of people saying thats disgusting etc. I think this about sums up what these fairs have become.

Went yesterday(Sat) and, yes Gunmakers Row was a bit disappointing! 3 dealers and one maker( iirc)

However it did mean that there was time to see other things, which would have been missed had I spent the usual amount of time trawling round gun dealers looking to rid myself of my air rifle.

Not sure about next year but I will be at the Shooting Show in Stoneleigh next time.

GH

With the costs of exhibiting at these show is going up and up and the returns going down , there are many questioning the whole "show" circuit and whether it is worth the effort.

As it is the stand holders who effectively pay for the cost of mounting the show , gate money being the profit , there will be less and less to see if things do not change .Shame but for those of us who have exhibited its hard work and for you who visit its a day out . Neither of us wants to be disappointed and traders wont go if it is not economic , you wont go if there is nothing to see .

Its the fourth time I've been and it has got progressively worse. I was disappointed that the big gunmaker names wasn't there. I was surprised that Armsan as a sponsor didn't have a stand - I did want to have a good look at the A612 & Phenoma. However, I did like the equipment on 'The Pigeon Shooter' stands and spent most of my money there.

Gareth

Guest rimotu66

I have been going for 20+ years usually staying for the weekend. I will never go again because this year was the worst ever. A lot of traders are staying away because of the level theft.

I'm guessing its thieving ***** scum doing the thieving and not true shooting types?

Why does pike with a y get 5 stars???

Edited by rimotu66

Went again today and still found things I missed yesterday

Shot a few rounds of clays the targets were about my standard with one or two to catch you out

Popped in to meet flycoy and bakerboy only had a quick chat thay were very busy promoting our sport on the basc stand

Nice guys nice to put a face to the name (thanks gents).

Went today and spent most of it watching the working dog tests and the rest catching up with old pals.

Bought a couple of ties, a boot bag and a few other bits and bobs.

It was good to catch up with Tam and Hopper. Also spoke to bakerboy for a couple of minutes towards the end of the day.

Then back over to the pigeon shooter stand to collect the purchases and bid Tam and Hopper a safe journey back home (thanks for the tickets Tam ;) )

strangely enough , this was the first year that i didnt see any travellers at the midland.

its always nice to meet up with mates that i dont see very often , and its always a pleasure to pass the time of day with paul hart , hes a real gent.

strangely enough , this was the first year that i didnt see any travellers at the midland.

its always nice to meet up with mates that i dont see very often , and its always a pleasure to pass the time of day with paul hart , hes a real gent.

Sorry to have missed speaking to you 😟 Paul only said who you were after you left

Went today and spent most of it watching the working dog tests and the rest catching up with old pals.

It was good to catch up with Tam and Hopper. Also spoke to bakerboy for a couple of minutes towards the end of the day.

Then back over to the pigeon shooter stand to collect the purchases and bid Tam and Hopper a safe journey back home (thanks for the tickets Tam ;) )

Thank Paul Mark 👍 good to catch up 😄

We went on sat, it wasnt good tbh. Picked up a few bits n bobs (got a lovely 250 cartridge carrier from Mad Cows a a bargain price), hardly any gun stalls compared to food n drink that is ! Youngest wanted to go on BASC have a go stand, queued for a bitonly to be told "we are shutting for a while while we clear the backlog", we didnt go back which was a shame.

I will be sending an email to Countryman gamefairs as we need these things to flourish as it is as much of a mainstream event as we are likely to see.

Spent a bit of time at Paul Harts stand waiting for the wife and the amount of people asking is that a real bird (on the flapper) was hilarious. More concerning was the amount of people saying thats disgusting etc. I think this about sums up what these fairs have become.

Maybe that didn't recognise a Scottish Pigeon 😎😎😂

Definitely the worst 'Midland' ever.

Perhaps next year they could call it the " Traveller's Re-Union Show " free entry instead of climbing the wall or walking in from the unguarded end of the clay line?????

There is an identical Show every weekend at Cannock next to Hilton Park Gunclub it's called a Car Boot Fair.

I am afraid to say that Country Fairs are now all the same, selling expensive poor quality products with prices inflated to cover stall costs.

Welsh Oggies (pasties) at £4-50??? Local (Newport, Shropshire, price £1-25). Six pieces of fudge in a bag £5-00????

I went yesterday with the family. Turns out my 7yr old daughter is pretty good with an air rifle, we were all very surprised!! It was a good day for us, but if you step back and look at the stalls, I agree with what was said in that there were load of stalls selling ****. Toys, ipod speakers, magnetic hippy bracelets etc etc. Nothing to do with anything other than making money, and the fair isn't going to say no to another stall willing to pay £xxx to have a set up there.

Bird of pray demos and dog demos were good. The BASC clay tent was a pain as there was an hour wait for 10 clays. I think this was because they were faffing with gun fitting people etc, which is important, but if you don't have a gun and your dad wants to shoot 10 clays, then it's no good.

The Cheshire Game fair was good for 'have a go of clay shooting' as it was pay your money, have a quick chat with the instructor and shoot. Then if you like it, go and do it properly and get your gun fit etc. No point in spending all that time faffing if you then decide it's not for you.

Over all though, it was a good day out for us all.

Camped Thursday to Sunday, group of 11.

Had a great time, loved the show.

Been many time's before, will go many time's again.

"Best" or "Worst" show, don't care, we enjoyed it.

Gypsies, hundreds of them , who cares, don't bother me and I don't bother them.

:yes:good.gif.pagespeed.ce.PoYRIVsMjL.gif

Here you go, tell them what you think.................... http://www.countrymanfairs.co.uk/contact-us

Edited by MITCHF

I agree with mischf, been going for 14years stay at pillton pools camp site with friends

We all had a great time, ok there isn't the gun stands there used to be but the show is still good

You should pop down to the Welsh game fair people mite appreciate what that get for there money

And I still go and support that too.

If we don't keep supporting these fairs we will lose them

As for ****** I just didn't notice them so much this year to busy enjoying show I suppose