Trout...is this a viable option?

walshie

I posted recently about having a farm pond with only stunted rudd in it. I've fished it a couple of times since, and i'm pretty sure now that's all that's in there.

I had a brainwave, but it seems almost too simple.

I figured if I bought 50-100 trout of about 1lb each, they would eat the tiddlers. If I fished for the trout and kept a record, once i had caught (and eaten) the trout, the pond would logically be empty so I could then stock it with what i wanted.

Or is that too simple... :hmm:

Rud need less dissolved oxygen

If the water ain't clean and pure your trout will taste like mud and likely die off.

Clean and highly oxygenated different matter but you will need to feed them if it isn't of suitable size and food density

The rudd likely sint growing because of lack of food or suitable conditions likewise

in a year's time, when you're fed up of trying to catch the trout, just put some pike in. then some caiman to deal with the pike then a crocodile to deal with them, leaving you with a crocodile farm for the meat and some handbags! Pigeonwatch discounts will be expected :)

Hmmm....croc skin certificate wallets.

I'm just going to tell my boss to stick his job as I'm going to be rich I tell you. Rich! :lol:

Edited by walshie

There used to be trout in the pond, so I know it sustains them. It's fed by a stream that goes through 20 yards of rushes before it reaches the main pond.

I thought trout didn't breed?

Shows how little i know. :blush:

Trout do not breed?

How do you think you get more trout then? Bleeding cloning? Amoeba like division?

Edited by secretagentmole

If you have a stream coming into the pond, and you have 2 metres of depth in the middle you could be OK. You are nearly correct though, Rainbow Trout are highly unlikely to breed in UK waters, but Brown Trout can (unless they are triploids) if there is oxygenated gravel. Build a little weir where the stream comes in, it could improve oxygen levels?

Cheers

Aled

I know an old lady who swallowed a cow,
I wonder how she swallowed a cow?!
She swallowed the cow to catch the goat,
She swallowed the goat to catch the dog,
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat,
She swallowed the cat to catch the bird,
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider,
That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her,
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly,
I don't know why she swallowed the fly,
I guess she'll die.

I know an old lady who swallowed a horse,
She's dead, of course!!

There used to be trout in the pond, so I know it sustains them. It's fed by a stream that goes through 20 yards of rushes before it reaches the main pond.

Many commercial fish farms will use triploid trout, couple of reasons why usually better conversion rate for feed and not coming into season with eggs for females or the head changing shape in male, triploids are unable to breed so would suit your purpose well.

If you have a stream coming into the pond, and you have 2 metres of depth in the middle you could be OK. You are nearly correct though, Rainbow Trout are highly unlikely to breed in UK waters, but Brown Trout can (unless they are triploids) if there is oxygenated gravel. Build a little weir where the stream comes in, it could improve oxygen levels?

Cheers

Aled

Rainbow will breed with no problem, the only reason why we don't see rainbow breeding is because most rainbow are bred for commercial purposes, they will usually be triploid or all female.

Tripliod trout don't breed and grow faster these are what you need as they grow faster

Everyone is spot on with the tripploids,should fit the bill nicely.

Has ur pond got an outlet? I'd be looking to put some sort of mesh/grid over it to stop fish swimming out.

Prob not as easy as it sounds as it will then have to be cleaned to stop it crudding up and cope with floods

Or build a sluice might be easier?

hello, as far as i know rainbow trout do not breed in our lakes and ponds, why dont you contact a fish farm near you to get some info. or put in some perch?