America's mass shooting statistics...

chrisjpainter

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“Stuff happens”

Jeb Bush

It always has and it always will, in America as elsewhere it will often happen big, either on a sporadic or regular basis depending upon the ‘Silly Season’ in that particular locale!

Regarding the philosophy on guns in America, “It is better have one and not need it than need one and not have it”! And based upon the most recent tragic event there who could argue?? :hmm:

Even putting any form of gun control may not work for another reason. Read an article today that a Supreme Court judge has ruled that any Federal law that goes against the constitution would go against any Sheriffs Oath of Allegiance and therefore they shouldn't enforce it. The Sherrif of the Oregan shooting has already stated he wouldn't enforce any gun laws based on this ruling.

Even putting any form of gun control may not work for another reason. Read an article today that a Supreme Court judge has ruled that any Federal law that goes against the constitution would go against any Sheriffs Oath of Allegiance and therefore they shouldn't enforce it. The Sherrif of the Oregan shooting has already stated he wouldn't enforce any gun laws based on this ruling.

Then he would be the ex sheriff. His attitude is part of the problem they have.

Then he would be the ex sheriff. His attitude is part of the problem they have.

Remember ,the sheriff is elected by ballot by the people living in the county . The sheriff will know we're the votes are .

Lots of nonsense spouted on here about the lawlessness of the USA . The Americans are very law abiding people . You need to spend some time with them to realise how law abiding they are . Drive down the road and you won't see anybody breaking the speed limits . Crime is very low in the small town America . No rubbish thrown in the streets no drunks staggering about and throwing up all over the place . Proberbly because they have very strict anti social laws .

I have spent many ,many holidays in the states and the people are very friendly and hospitable and law abiding .we could learn a lot from them . All the friends and realatives that I have in the states are all responsible gun owners . I have spent some wonderful times in the field hunting deer and wild fowl with them . Don't think that they are gung Ho ,they are not .

The town of roseburgh is a lovely place to live and I have made many friends there . I would have no problems living there . The town has now been blighted by some madman as have other towns in America .

Harnser

Harnser - nice to hear about the other side of the coin.

Whatever anyone over here thinks, about the USA's gun laws, matters nothing. It's their country and change is up to them.

Talking to friends and family in the states and discussing gun laws in the uk I was amazed that they all thought that our gun laws were very sensible . To a man they thought that gun control similer to what we have here in the UK would be a good thing for America . They too are concerned that the bad guys can easily obtain just about any type of gun more or less over the counter .

Harnser

Remember ,the sheriff is elected by ballot by the people living in the county . The sheriff will know we're the votes are .

Lots of nonsense spouted on here about the lawlessness of the USA . The Americans are very law abiding people . You need to spend some time with them to realise how law abiding they are . Drive down the road and you won't see anybody breaking the speed limits . Crime is very low in the small town America . No rubbish thrown in the streets no drunks staggering about and throwing up all over the place . Proberbly because they have very strict anti social laws .

I have spent many ,many holidays in the states and the people are very friendly and hospitable and law abiding .we could learn a lot from them . All the friends and realatives that I have in the states are all responsible gun owners . I have spent some wonderful times in the field hunting deer and wild fowl with them . Don't think that they are gung Ho ,they are not .

The town of roseburgh is a lovely place to live and I have made many friends there . I would have no problems living there . The town has now been blighted by some madman as have other towns in America .

Harnser

I am quite sure that the majority of people in America are as you say law abiding and decent people,and it is these decent people that are paying the price for the odd lunatic,my own opinion is that they should have the range of guns available to them limited I doubt anyone could give just reason for needing a military style assault weapon to go after a fox or deer let alone a rabbit did you use an ak47 or similar to go deer hunting over there.their president said only a few days ago that he cant understand how his is the only country in the so called civilised world to have these massacres on an almost monthly basis even used the uk as a example of how gun law works.nobody has said they should have their right to bear arms removed just have a sensible approach to types of gun.as for the sheriff he may well have been elected by the people of the county, but I wager on the basis that he protects them from wrong so if he refused to follow what would be federal law I doubt he would be in office for very long,imagine the outcry if he did ignore the laws and another killing happened in his county his feet would touch the ground.i am sure there are many lovely places to live in America they just need a little fine tuning.

I am quite sure that the majority of people in America are as you say law abiding and decent people,and it is these decent people that are paying the price for the odd lunatic,my own opinion is that they should have the range of guns available to them limited I doubt anyone could give just reason for needing a military style assault weapon to go after a fox or deer let alone a rabbit did you use an ak47 or similar to go deer hunting over there.their president said only a few days ago that he cant understand how his is the only country in the so called civilised world to have these massacres on an almost monthly basis even used the uk as a example of how gun law works.nobody has said they should have their right to bear arms removed just have a sensible approach to types of gun.as for the sheriff he may well have been elected by the people of the county, but I wager on the basis that he protects them from wrong so if he refused to follow what would be federal law I doubt he would be in office for very long,imagine the outcry if he did ignore the laws and another killing happened in his county his feet would touch the ground.i am sure there are many lovely places to live in America they just need a little fine tuning.

I think that you are right about the assault rifles . I carnt see any real reason for having one ,certainly not over here . Having said that back in the day I used to have a a SLR semi auto for practical rifle comps . Many Americans are into practical rifle shooting with assault rifles ,semi auto and full auto ,it's very popular over there . The most popular sporting rifle over there is the bolt action .30-06 for deer and antelope and indeed black bears . You will find that most gun owners will also own a couple of hand guns as well . The most popular being the .357 magnum and the .44 magnum . Both of these calibres are used for deer hunting during the handgun season . Bonifide hunters will have an assortment of guns for the different seasons on deer . They will use black powder rifles on deer as well as slugs through slug guns . Most hunters will have quite an Arsenal of guns to use in the field .

Harnser

I think that you are right about the assault rifles . I carnt see any real reason for having one ,certainly not over here . Having said that back in the day I used to have a a SLR semi auto for practical rifle comps . Many Americans are into practical rifle shooting with assault rifles ,semi auto and full auto ,it's very popular over there . The most popular sporting rifle over there is the bolt action .30-06 for deer and antelope and indeed black bears . You will find that most gun owners will also own a couple of hand guns as well . The most popular being the .357 magnum and the .44 magnum . Both of these calibres are used for deer hunting during the handgun season . Bonifide hunters will have an assortment of guns for the different seasons on deer . They will use black powder rifles on deer as well as slugs through slug guns . Most hunters will have quite an Arsenal of guns to use in the field .

Harnser

They have all these different types of rifle and hand gun because,well ..because they can.

If you have the money,shooting ranges ,constitution that allows it and vast wide open spaces to use them they have,most of us would be doing it too.

They have AKs and ARs because the law says they can.

A big part of the US population enjoys legal firearm use and possession.

The Canadians have similar laws,but tend not to be into it as much as the States.

As such ,any attempt to curtail such rights ,gets not so much the cold shoulder ,but a ferocious reaction.

And not just from the NRA and gun owners/users in general,most of the electorate cherish the constitution and do not want it altered in any way shape or form.

And more power to them for that.

What do you think would happen if the privilege of private firearm ownership was taken away from us in the UK?

We would be powerless to prevent it.

In the US this wouldnt happen,because no elected official would make it into office on that mandate.

And ,correct me if Im wrong ,but some officials (governor of Colorado ?) were forced out because they changed to an anti gun stance.

As sad and senseless as these latest shootings are,nothings gonna change anytime soon.

I hear gun sales are up in USA after this incident. Heard an interview with 20yo lass who has ordered handgun for her 21st when she will be permitted to carry a gun. In UK when something like this happens we lose guns/rights but in the States they lose nothing and buy more weapons! Not fair is it?

your right. its not fair,ask the families of the dead. all these shootings lately seem to be at schools and no parent should have to bury their child and definitely not because some lunatic has the right in law to access firearms.

Really, the same case scenario, walk into ASDA. buy your shopping goods and then buy a nice little hand gun . REALLY!!!.

It is not that simple. There is an FBI check now. I was in Walmart a short while ago and two guys came in from out state. The salesman refused to sell them the weapon and sent them back from whence they came.

It is not that simple. There is an FBI check now. I was in Walmart a short while ago and two guys came in from out state. The salesman refused to sell them the weapon and sent them back from whence they came.

True people talk about American firearms laws like they are all the same, there are lots of states all with differing firearms laws. I expect this from the anti gun media but some should know better.

Edited by ordnance

There is a Simple way to change the gun Law in America..

When the Second amendment was Drafted, Way back,,In those times guns were not what is for Sale at the PRESENT TIME...

Switch the Amendment back to the times of When it was Drafted ?..

It would still be there but only for the times when it was Written..

No Weapons of the calibre of TODAY,, Only Yesteryear..

Every thing else would be ILLEGAL.

Yes...???.

Sorry For Edit..

Ok, if he can afford it, would they be Allowed a DRONE in the Future.???.

Overboard I know, but what is technology going to come up with in the Future,

Laser or Ray guns.... it has to STOP, Somewhere Surely.???.

Edited by subsonicnat

There is a Simple way to change the gun Law in America..

When the Second amendment was Drafted, Way back,,In those times guns were not what is for Sale at the PRESENT TIME...

Switch the Amendment back to the times of When it was Drafted ?..

It would still be there but only for the times when it was Written..

No Weapons of the calibre of TODAY,, Only Yesteryear..

Every thing else would be ILLEGAL.

Yes... ???.

Sorry For Edit..

Ok, if he can afford it, would they be Allowed a DRONE in the Future. ???.

Overboard I know, but what is technology going to come up with in the Future,

Laser or Ray guns.... it has to STOP, Somewhere Surely. ???.

This has already been done to death through various court cases where the validity of the 2nd Amendment as pertinent to today was tested, but as it forms part of the Constitution which is relevant for eternity, then the 2nd Amendment stands for all time also.

There are no clauses to the 'right to bear arms'. It is what it is.

Are you sure you didnt mean to log on to mumsnet ? Since when have UK gunlaws "worked" ? Who have they "worked" for. I bet there would have been a major (ish) outcry here if the gun law we have now was proposed and implemented at the outset....... as the old analogy goes , if you wanna boil a frog alive quietly drop it in a pan of cold water and slowly turn the heat up. The americans will not accept any change to their gunlaws I'd bet

your right. its not fair,ask the families of the dead. all these shootings lately seem to be at schools and no parent should have to bury their child and definitely not because some lunatic has the right in law to access firearms.

You're right, no parent should have to bury their child, but emotive soundbites such as that do absolutely nothing to address the issue.

There is a very good chance that the parents of those children killed are in fact firearms owners themselves. It would be interesting to learn what the parents of those children do in fact think should happen regarding firearms legislation in the USA. I know of none whom have been asked.

As I mentioned elsewhere, following the very recent killing of the tv journalist and her cameraman, the fiancé was asked by British news reporters if they themselves owned firearms, to which he answered yes. He made it clear he saw no reason why people shouldn't be allowed to own firearms ( the murdered womans father was sat next to him nodding in agreement as far as I recall ) but that mental health checks should be considered.