Elderly people and driving

neil3728

Every time someone is shot in this country, there is press campaign for tighter controls - whether the guns were legally held or not.

We protest and feel it is totally unfair, but are ready to put the boot in elderly drivers with breath taking speed - no pun intended.

No hint of double standards whatsoever. :whistling::whistling: :whistling:

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time someone is shot in this country, there is press campaign for tighter controls - whether the guns were legally held or not.

We protest and feel it is totally unfair, but are ready to put the boot in elderly drivers with breath taking speed - no pun intended.

How true.

It doesn't have to be done insensitively, but there are people who are no longer capable and driving slowly is possibly an early indication that further investigation may be needed. Otherwise the problems won't get picked up until something more serious happens.

As most OAPs will tell you they have never had an accident in 50 years of driving, but I bet they have lost count of how many they have caused.

I think 75 would be a good age for them to stop driving and use ring and ride.

I don't think anybody should be allowed to drive until they are 50 years old .

Harnser

There are good and bad drivers in every age group and of both sexes. That's my observation having been driving since 1972. The insurance company statistics point to where the most dangerous and reckless drivers are but they only show those incidents that come to grief and to a claim. They say women are the best drivers but my observations are of more women (usually young) using mobile phones whilst driving, having no spatial awareness and being more unaware of what is going on around them.

When I was taught to drive I was told to "make proper progress". By this he meant drive safely to the maximum speed possible taking into account the conditions - weather, traffic, highway code etc. As he said pootling along a country road in good weather with a stream of traffic behind you is not making proper progress or being mindful of your fellow drivers. Pull over when safe to do so if you wish to pootle along and let the others past.

But there is less being mindful now, less courtesy and far too much cut and thrust. Modern cars cocoon the driver too much from the realities of the road.

And to the lady on the Wynyard back road the other day in your Ford CMAX - when the obstruction is on your side of the road and was in this case a wobbly cyclist, you have to slow down and give way!

The worst drivers on the road are sales reps, we have had 4 crashes outside my house this year and all were sales reps doing 50/60 in a 30 zone, coming round the bend near me and losing control, absolute tools the lot of them. One in a Volvo estate managed to turn it on its side and leave it facing directly into the house at 6 in the morning , went out to make sure he was alright and he still looked half asleep and should still be in bed.

Members, I believe we have reached a consensus. Licences should be withdrawn from:-

1. Anyone over the age of 75.

2. Women.

3. Anyone under 25.

4. Any mobile phone users.

5. Any reps.

6. Any BMW, Mercedes, Audi or Range Rover drivers - I have found these to be the ones who think they own the road.

7. Anyone driving inappropriately slowly.

8. Anyone speeding.

Members, I believe we have reached a consensus. Licences should be withdrawn from:-

2. Women.

3. Anyone under 25.

5. Any reps.

6. Any BMW, Mercedes, Audi or Range Rover drivers - I have found these to be the ones who think they own the road.

8. Anyone speeding.

Cant disagree with that, im a 35 year old male who is deaf with a nissan note 😂 Edited by pimpkiller

The number of older people I see on my daily drive to work doing 40 - 45 in the 60 zone is ridiculous, only trumpted by the fact they don't slow for the 30 zone and just carry on at the one same speed.

People are missing the point being made here. They are doing 40-45 on any road because either they dont know or arnt aware of whats going on which is incredibly dangerous

2. Women.

3. Anyone under 25.

5. Any reps.

8. Anyone speeding.

Vegans and Burnley Dave to make it to 10?

Reasons:

I can't stand vegans (can anybody?)

Burnley Dave is a road rage accident waiting to happen :yes::lol:

One point that hasn't been considered is the number of over 88 year-olds who have never had to take a driving test.

Anyone who had driven in the forces during WWII was automatically granted a licence when peace arrived. My father was very proud of the fact that he had neither taken the test nor even had a formal driving lesson in his life.

Even as kids we preferred being driven by Mum :lol:

Being in the trade I've come across a few sad cases, around 15 years ago this old boy well into his 80's came in to sign some docs to order his new car, then drove out the showroom in his old automatic Espace and managed to get his foot jammed on the accelerator and ended up going round and round the junction wiping out parked cars as he went :unhappy::lol: it was like something out of Pulp Fiction and lasted a good minute or two eventually coming to a halt when he hit someones front garden brick work. I ran up to him and started to try and make sure he was OK and tell him not to worry etc, in case he had a heart attack. Would you believe some arze whose old banger he'd shoved was shouting to get past me to shake his fist at him so naturally I calmed him down too by telling him to F off in no uncertain terms.

All was good eventually, he cancelled the car thankfully and his daughter told us it was his second shunt in the past month.

Another time I had this frail old lady walk in demanding to be sold a new car apparently because a neighbour had asked her not to drive any more ! I took her out reluctantly and to cut a long story short it was the test drive from hell, cars beeping as they overtook us and shouting obscenities at me for taking her out :lol: . When we made it back she continued to ask about options and colours but I'm afraid I said something along the lines, look I'll sell you a car if you want but I hate to say I agree with your neighbour, maybe you ought to think about this a bit first. Oh, don't say that she said :unhappy: I feel terrible even now.

I think all drivers should have a retest at least every 10 years and every 5 once age/medical conditions set in. if you fail you fail, but most roads rely on drivers acting in a certain way as predictability = safety, once you step outside that, whether too fast, too slow, not able to use roundabouts or junctions when busy, not able to maneuver the vehicle etc, you are a liability waiting to happen. It would also mean all those whose standards have slipped since they passed the original test all got a refresher as well, which is not a bad thing. People actually might start appreciating the privilege of driving 1 tonne of steel about the place at 60mph and treat it with the respect it deserves.

I know statistics point to young male drivers being dangerous. However, elderly drivers really are a menace. As has been said above, elderly drivers are a menace, they crawl through 60 roads at 40 then drive through 30s at 40 too. They have shocking lane discipline, and seem to be unable to comprehend city roads.

I think that EVERYONE should have 10 yearly retests. Although the retests should test for awareness and driving ability, not shuffling hands on the steering wheel.

I am all for having retests after every 10 years or so and every 2 years over 70, which MUST include a FULL eyesight test, including depth of perception. Problem is who will be the Examiners, young or old drivers ? How many people, who think that they can drive, have ever looked at a Highway Code since passing their test. How many, hand on heart, can honestly say that they would pass another driving test. How many can honestly say that they have even heard of a book called Roadcraft, never mind read it ? It is worth a read, it may just save your life. One only has to read the drivel on here if someone is daft enough to get caught in a speed trap, it is NEVER their fault. I doubt too many of the floral tributes adorning lamp posts are mourning the death of a pensioner !

I would actualy like some police or even some sort of traffic wombles actualy stopping drivers when they see them doing something stupid. Cameras only sometimes catch someone speeding over a short distance stupidity tends to be a permanent fixture.

Get used to it, by the time thay have got rid of all of the 'Wombles' and Police forces are cut even further, the roads will be a free for all. Just watch the next set of traffic lights that you come across......................the RED is only a guide !

It is a topic in the headlines at the moment, with the rather predictable call for tests for the elderly. People never think their solutions through. They are normally just a knee jerk reaction.

Driving the wrong way down the motorway might have signalled the onset of dementia. It would be a brave soul who could foretell (accurately) at what age the onset might occur.

As Harnser has rightly pointed out - the insurance companies know where the greatest risk lies. Game, set and match. :lol:

Never had an accident, but caused loads, springs to mind.. A bus pass is given for a reason.... :whistling:

It is a topic in the headlines at the moment, with the rather predictable call for tests for the elderly. People never think their solutions through. They are normally just a knee jerk reaction.

Driving the wrong way down the motorway might have signalled the onset of dementia. It would be a brave soul who could foretell (accurately) at what age the onset might occur.

As Harnser has rightly pointed out - the insurance companies know where the greatest risk lies. Game, set and match. :lol:

Gordon (& Harnser) both ends of the age spectrum are high risk but for different reasons as some of these comments point out. Driving in this country is seen as a right when it is in reality a privilege

As most OAPs will tell you they have never had an accident in 50 years of driving, but I bet they have lost count of how many they have caused.

I think 75 would be a good age for them to stop driving and use ring and ride.

That would be hilarious if I didn't think you were serious.

One point that hasn't been considered is the number of over 88 year-olds who have never had to take a driving test.

Anyone who had driven in the forces during WWII was automatically granted a licence when peace arrived. My father was very proud of the fact that he had neither taken the test nor even had a formal driving lesson in his life.

Even as kids we preferred being driven by Mum :lol:

My mum was mental...as a driver, she had a mini cooper-s..........and christ she didnt alf put her foot down...she used to "lean" into corners...4 wheel drift all this with a "black russian" cocktail fag hanging out of her gob.................