Lack of Respect. Again

Chris Bb

Apparently Ms Charlene White, newsreader on ITV, has, once again, decided unilaterally that wearing a poppy is not for her.

Every other presenter on ITV & BBC appear to be able to comply with a simple request to show suitable respect in the run-up to Remembrance Sunday.

Last year I and many others wrote to ITV regarding this person's behavior and, coincidence or not, she was not seen on-screen until after November 11th.

Please do complain to ITV if you feel as I do.

Thank you.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I absolutely believe in wearing a poppy myself I am also against poppy fascism. Some folks may have their reasons why they choose not to wear the poppy and I personally think that it is wrong to try and force them to do otherwise in order not to offend the sensitivities of others.

Although I absolutely believe in wearing a poppy myself I am also against poppy fascism. Some folks may have their reasons why they choose not to wear the poppy and I personally think that it is wrong to try and force them to do otherwise in order not to offend the sensitivities of others.

Agreed. I dont think anyone should be compelled to make any display of support for anything they dont wish to, irrespective of whether we like it or not. That's the very antithesis of what the sacrifice the poppy comemorates is all about.

Agreed. I dont think anyone should be compelled to make any display of support for anything they dont wish to, irrespective of whether we like it or not. That's the very antithesis of what the sacrifice the poppy comemorates is all about.

This says it all...

I do a hell of a lot of work for the RBL but compulsion is not something I could ever support.

The Poppy commemorates the sacrifices made by the men and women who fought for our freedom - the freedom of speech and expression, so she is free to do as she pleases because of them. She doesn't have to wear one.

But WHY oh WHY does she make such a song and dance each year telling everyone she won't?

Get over yourself Charlene.

The Poppy commemorates the sacrifices made by the men and women who fought for our freedom - the freedom of speech and expression, so she is free to do as she pleases because of them. She doesn't have to wear one.

But WHY oh WHY does she make such a song and dance each year telling everyone she won't?

Get over yourself Charlene.

I would agree with that ordinarily, if you want to wear one then do and if not then don't and no need to say anything. In this case though when she is obviously subject to a lot of hostility as she has a very visible public profile then I guess that she has to say something.

I admire that she is sticking to her principles in the face of much hostility, if only those who are so quick to attack her consider the principles of those that made sacrifice in order to allow her the continued freedom of choice. Utter hypocrisy really.

In my opinion the men and women fought so theirs and other generations had freedom of choice, so therefore, again in my opinion, it is up to the individual.

I always buy four poppies; one for each of my family; it is then up to them whether they want to wear it or not.

Just occurred to me; would a BBC news presenter be given the choice?

Edited by Scully

Nobody should be forced to wear a poppy, but why wouldn't you?

Comparing it to World AIDS Day, cancer awareness, somebody's missing cat, etc trivialises how seriously we should take the Nation's one commeration of the glorious dead.

They say there's no such thing as free publicity - I hope she likes all the attention her posturing brings her.

I'm an ex-serviceman.

I remember my comrades every day of the year and I also donate to RBL all year round. I started seeing people wearing poppies from the middle of October. With 10 days still to go I see there's commemorative programmes now on BBC1 every morning.

Now we have the annual hectoring of people who are not, for many reasons, wearing a Poppy.

I chose not to turn Remembrance Day into a month long demonstration and I also chose not to pass judgement on those who do not to wear one.

I will wear a Poppy only on 11-11 and on 8-11 but I will not forget my comrades, or any of our fallen, for the rest of my life whether I'm wearing a Poppy or not.

I'm an ex-serviceman.

I remember my comrades every day of the year and I also donate to RBL all year round. I started seeing people wearing poppies from the middle of October. With 10 days still to go I see there's commemorative programmes now on BBC1 every morning.

Now we have the annual hectoring of people who are not, for many reasons, wearing a Poppy.

I chose not to turn Remembrance Day into a month long demonstration and I also chose not to pass judgement on those who do not to wear one.

I will wear a Poppy only on 11-11 and on 8-11 but I will not forget my comrades, or any of our fallen, for the rest of my life whether I'm wearing a Poppy or not.

Well said, as an ex-serviceman I find these bully boy poppy fascists a bit annoying.

I'm an ex-serviceman.

Well said. This sums up my feelings also.

Well said, as an ex-serviceman I find these bully boy poppy fascists a bit annoying.

I know what you mean - it smacks a little bit of the white-feather zealots setting out to shame people for not serving in the world wars.

One tried it with my wife's grandfather, assuming he was a conscientious objector when he was actually recovering from blast lung courtesy of a mortar strike (from which he was the sole survivor in his squad) while fighting German Paratroopers in Italy. Apparently he told her what to do with them...

Well said. This sums up my feelings also.

I have a problem; Im a bit of an environmentalist (or is that mentalist) and I don't like the thought of all those wasted poppies (where do they all end up?): However, I always like to make a donation.

So; am I to be condemned for donating but not wearing? Of course, it could be argued that the more people that wear a poppy, the greater the psychological persuasion/ pressure on others to do the same. If everyone thought like me, less money might be raised for what is, a worthy cause.

What a dilemma!

It might be better if poppies weren't made of plastic.

Respect works both ways, perhaps before criticising a person we ought to find out their actual side of the story :

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-10-25/itv-news-presenter-charlene-white-why-i-dont-wear-a-poppy/

I sometimes wear one at the appropriate time but surrounded by a majority who don't it still never occurred to me to get uppity about it because it doesn't mean they don't support and honour past sacrifices.

Apparently Ms Charlene White, newsreader on ITV, has, once again, decided unilaterally that wearing a poppy is not for her.

Every other presenter on ITV & BBC appear to be able to comply with a simple request to show suitable respect in the run-up to Remembrance Sunday.

Last year I and many others wrote to ITV regarding this person's behavior and, coincidence or not, she was not seen on-screen until after November 11th.

Please do complain to ITV if you feel as I do.

Thank you.

I have to say, I completely disagree with you on this one.

While I always contribute to the Poppy Appeal, and do wear my poppy, I entirely support the rights of anyone who chooses not to do so.

I've had relatives in the Forces, my grandfather died in 1942 in North Africa (an unknown grave), an uncle was a pilot, and various others.

To 'force' someone to wear a poppy - or possibly not earn their salary - is, in my opinion, an absolute disgrace.

Applying pressure on their employer to do so is equally unacceptable.

You might want to take a long look in the mirror, thinking about that, and see if you really like the attitude of the person looking back at you