I think this is really bad

Vince Green

I am looking for a 10/22 at the moment. I saw a nice one on Guntrader a really nice deluxe walnut with a Simmons scope for £199 (thats cheap) in Cambridge so I phoned the shop. "yes its right here" so a couple of Saturdays back I drove over, its about an hour and a half of motorway driving to get there.

When I got there they said "we haven't actually got that one any more, but we have got these" and started showing some others, mostly quite ropey and all a minimum of £100 dearer. Was I fed up with them!

Now the point is, that advert has never come down, its still up there now, so I asked my son to phone them saying he was interested in it. Guess what he was told.............................

Edited by Vince Green

What, this one?:

Perhaps a few of us should give them a call tomorrow. If it's still being described as "for sale" verbally when asked on the telephone, then post the responses here and send them a link to this thread. Could be an innocent mistake though, if there's someone working there who hasn't actually checked current stock? Doesn't sound like it from the response "....yes, it's right here" though as that sounds like a definitive statement.

Edited by Cranfield
Extract from House Rules, "Members are not permitted to post links to websites that compete with Pigeon Watch." Gun Watch is part of Pigeon Watch.

i know a lot of people are probably thinking ring them 1st to check they still have the gun! however about 4 years ago i rang a shop to be told gun was still in and told them i also had a aya sbs think it was the bog standard no3 but in excellent condition i wanted to part ex against, yes no problem. got there two hours later the same day, sorry gun was sold just before you came. maybe, maybe not! that gun also stayed on for another month

Edited by 7daysinaweek

What, this one?:

Perhaps a few of us should give them a call tomorrow. If it's still being described as "for sale" verbally when asked on the telephone, then post the responses here and send them a link to this thread. Could be an innocent mistake though, if there's someone working there who hasn't actually checked current stock? Doesn't sound like it from the response "....yes, it's right here" though as that sounds like a definitive statement.

Not sure if that can be an innocent mistake; it clearly states below the picture: 'This item was for sale as of 0500 03 NOV 15'. Perhaps we should all rattle off an email to them?

Not sure if that can be an innocent mistake; it clearly states below the picture: 'This item was for sale as of 0500 03 NOV 15'. Perhaps we should all rattle off an email to them?

I agree. I mentioned it for balance, but the evidence does suggest it's a tempter to get people into the shop. Rather than firing off emails, a direct conversation on the 'phone with a direct question "is it still available" should give a definitive answer as to how deep they wish to dig that hole.

Been going on for years. 20 years ago I contacted a well known shop (in South Wales 150 miles away) advertising a mint s/h B2G 30". I discussed PX'ing a mint A1 30" and some values were quoted and they were more than happy. So I drove the 150 miles only to find the B2G was not only a shot out dog but had 1" sawn off the stock. They then had the cheek to offer me 1/2 the value of the A1. The shop has now changed names so lets hope also their working ethics...not that I would venture there again.

I have commented elsewhere on the poor service from some GT dealers so I suppose the answer is to phone the dealer and have that person go get the gun and hold it in their mits.

Edited by B25Modelman

I call it lying.

It is lying and a practice that Trading Standards frown upon.

If it had been me that wasted such a lengthy journey after being lied to, I would think it worth checking if they are a member of the GTA, then report the matter to the GTA.

Edited by Savhmr

Relevant to this discussion, perhaps:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bait-and-switch

From the cited article:

The intention of the bait-and-switch is to encourage purchases of substituted goods, making consumers satisfied with the available stock offered, as an alternative to a disappointment or inconvenience of acquiring no goods (or bait) at all, and reckoning on a seemingly partial recovery of sunk costs expended trying to obtain the bait. It suggests that the seller will not show the original product or service advertised but instead will demonstrate a more expensive product or a similar product with a higher margin.

Regards,

Mark.

No update form the OP? If it had been me I'd have been on the phone to the dealer (and not just them) as soon as I spotted the gun still for sale. :hmm:

I'm the OP and I can't be bothered to chase them, can't be bothered to even talk to them. I have put it up on here and people on here know, thats good enough. If I phone them they are going to wind me up most likely with some implausable story and life is too short.

Edited by Vince Green