Trouble with nieghbour

besty57

My mate has just gone through exactly the same scenario with his neighbour, the advice given above (report it to the police) is what he did, he's now minus his S/C & FAC.

That is hugely disappointing, it encourages people to hide problems and take the risk of uncontrolled escalation.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First thing is be nice,puts others in a less aggressive calmer mood

It's gets them thinking things like is this guy for real,maybe he's right about my dogs,am I being unreasonable,is he a nutter?

On the other hand he may just trying to test your bottle!

What would he have done if you had said yes to a fight?

My guess is this guy was testing you to see if he could frighten and bully you for reporting him

I would you just make a diary of any incident and if it does escalate you have some proof to show how it has started.

This may just fizzle out and he will become the clown over the road

Al

Edited by Surfer

I had trouble with my old neighbours, plod got involved. My gun stayed firmly put it my cabinet no issues at all.

Do you think you could take him if it come to it? Just out of interest

A good question,well worth thiinking about,can you defend yourself enough to get out of trouble,and if your more than capable can you control yourself not to go ott

Al

I would go out of my way to be pleasant, well mannered and smile sweetly at him. It works for me, all my neighbours think I'm a nutter, in fact probably the whole street.

Not sure if it would work for me(Victor Meldrew lookalike)but I like it.

I had trouble with my old neighbours, plod got involved. My gun stayed firmly put it my cabinet no issues at all.

Do you think you could take him if it come to it? Just out of interest

That's what I was thinking,if you're 7st wet through,things like this can be more a bullying issue.

Some sound advice, not sure of your set-up but a trail cam or CCTV might be good to have on your property. Sometimes when you land on some lunatics radar there is no saying how far or what they might do, at least you can catch him in the act.

and make sure it is on your property I believe if you have a part of his property it could go down as an intrusion on his part in a court of law.

CCTV camera, looking down over the area covering his drive and yours, where he is when he asks you out.

Mike.

You can only use CCTV cameras to view on your own property. If he complains about this the law will come out and ask to view the images and if you are even partially recording outside of your property then you are in the wrong. Look up ..the information commissioners office rules,which are the guidelines that control this stuff.

I know it goes against the grain considering he is clearly the aggressor but I would try giving him a olive branch, generally people backed into a corner will lash out (verbally,physically etc) he probably knows he's in the wrong, however by you telling him his dogs should be muzzled (probably quite rightly, or at least on a lead) he probably feels "cornered" I would personally knock his door and say look we got off on the wrong foot and I'd rather put it in the past you can then hopefully calmly discuss any issues regarding his dogs later on in a calm manner, like I said I know you shouldnt have to but being the bigger person is defiantly helpful in these situations and having a fall out with someone who lives so close can really be a nightmare.

Whatever you do, do not step onto his property if you do and it all goes off you will have no credible defence as your well intentioned intrusion could be used to imply an intended violent confrontation by your aggressive neighbour!

Neighbours, who’d have them?? :/

+1 don't go on his land !

You can only use CCTV cameras to view on your own property. If he complains about this the law will come out and ask to view the images and if you are even partially recording outside of your property then you are in the wrong. Look up ..the information commissioners office rules,which are the guidelines that control this stuff.

http://www.yourprivacy.co.uk/does-neighbours-camera-contravene-privacy-rights.html

Mike.

Don't ever consider taking up his offer to sort it out.

If he gives you a thrashing - you could be in hospital.

If you give him a beating, do you think he would let it go at that? Bad losers - first to go to the Police when things don't turn out the way they intended.

Personally, I would just ignore him and log anything he does to provoke you. I would also talk to the Police - before he does.

This link is what the council and the police are guided by as the official road for this sort of thing, https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/cctv/
Initially both the council and the police will trot out the statement of As a domestic person you are entitled to use cctv but when pushed into a corner and told different and about the ICO guidelines they then change their tune and admit that they are governed by these guidelines. When you read it is something of a grey area but if it all kicks off and this bloke is switched on and especially if you go round there either to sort him out or even go to have a chat about it them it could go against you and that you have harassed him and abused his human rights and gone over in an aggressive manner. Just keep out of his way and ignore him. I know that you find all of this a pain but it can go all very silly quite quick if you are not switched on. You can record but you have to pay ( I think that it is itro £75 a year)to register and keep records and data ect along with a designated controller of this data.

filming the road and other property can be classed as harassment and being a peeping tom also Tracking peoples movements. which is an offence.

This is the relevant text from the link. The wording >> Even partially >> is the important bit.
What if my camera captures footage of individuals beyond the boundaries of my property?
You must consider whether it is necessary for your camera to operate beyond the boundary of your property.
If your camera covers, even partially, any areas beyond the boundaries of your property, such as neighbouring gardens or the street, then it will no longer be exempt from the Data Protection Act (DPA) under the domestic purposes exemption.

Been in the same situation once myself..

Old neighbour asked if I wanted to have a go with him... I was tired from working and took him up on his offer but he backed down when I walked over to him and fronted him out...I wouldn't do it now tho as I value my freedom and licences...as others have said just report him.

Just an update ,I have done nothing at the mo.apart from keep a note of what happened on sat.it seems this guy is a police dog handler.now I only know this as police dog section transit picked him and his dogs up this morning.so I could be wrong ,I have never seen him in uniform,only in tactical gear.i don't even know his name.so any ideas on what to do now.thanks Al

Playing devils advocate. I'd be concerned that if I was to tell the police they may decide that due to the ongoing tension and close proximity of your neighbour they might want to look after your guns until the matter is resolved. Just a thought.

My thoughts too

Edited by stevo

Just an update ,I have done nothing at the mo.apart from keep a note of what happened on sat.it seems this guy is a police dog handler.now I only know this as police dog section transit picked him and his dogs up this morning.so I could be wrong ,I have never seen him in uniform,only in tactical gear.i don't even know his name.so any ideas on what to do now.thanks Al

Police or one of those security vehicles that is marked to look like a police vehicle complete with battenburg?