Pigeon shooting syndicate

Gunnut

me personally I think its a rip off,, I have never paid for pigeon shooting in over 40 years, in my eyes I am doing the farmers a favour keeping pests off there land and at a cost to me ( cartridges and travel expenses )

that's my opinion, I have never paid and never would but I,m very lucky in the fact I have plenty of permissions,

now some people don't have permissions so for them its probably a bargain price to get out and do some shooting so to these people it is ok, what I would like to know is how many are in the syndicate and also where is the money going, also for that price I would certainly want my cartridges supplied,

just my opinion mind,,ask them where does the money go,,you might find its in their pocket and the landowner/farmer knows nothing

There is a real shortage of permissions in Essex. Whether it is worth it or not not depends on how much land you are getting access to, what quality it is, what restrictions there are is and how many syndicate members there are. Even at that price I would have thought there would be no shortage of takers. As for cartridges being supplied I would be extremely surprised if they were.

As others have said, sounds a lot to me but there again I don't pay to shoot pigeons, so what do I know? What's in it for you? Unfettered access to unlimited land in Essex? Allotted rota shooting on one piece of land at times which may not suit you? I wouldn't know how it works so I'd be having a good old think and finding out where my money is going beforehand.

Both the pheasant shooting syndicates I'm in are cheaper than that, and that includes buying the birds.

It does seem a lot of money.

You cannot compare 365 days pigeon shooting to a good driven day or two.

1 really good day on Pheasants or potentially 300 plus potentially good days on the pigeons; remember with pigeons it is not always the quantity that makes for a good days shooting.

As has been widely said you need to find out exactly what is on offer.

The trouble with a pigeon syndicate is unless there are few guns or a huge acreage of ground the chances are slim of a decent day , they do not respond well to constant shooting pressure on the same fields , also if you can only shoot weekends and other guns can shoot anytime you will be right up against it.

NPPC is only about £125,we have 4 pigeon shooters on our farms who pay £75 per year & that's only because our Pheasant sydicate who pay £375 per season (including decoying all yr round) won't or either don't like decoying & only 2 of them really doing any regular decoying.We wouldn't even of charged the 4 decoyers £75 but did to save the sydicate getting upset seeing someone shooting for nothing.

I dont know of this syndicate and do not think in its near my area but does seem a lot of money, and considering the way shooting has been around the grounds I shoot of late and the past few years with the change of farming techniques I would put the money and time into door knocking, and this time of year maybe a little beating to get your face known.

For that money or a little bit more could you not join a small pheasant syndicate, which not only would give you a few driven days, but most allow syndicate members to shoot vermin throughout the rest of the year?

This. The syndicate land on which I shoot is available to its members for the shooting of corvids, rabbits, pigeons, foxes and roe, and out of season most of the syndicate don't bother shooting so it's down to a handful of us.

This. The syndicate land on which I shoot is available to its members for the shooting of corvids, rabbits, pigeons, foxes and roe, and out of season most of the syndicate don't bother shooting so it's down to a handful of us.

This again, out of 20 guns I've only ever seen one other gun during the off season taking advantage of 40 odd acres of shooting

Thanks for all of your replies lads, after thinking about it I think I'll knock on a few more doors and try my luck. To find any shooting permission in Essex through past experience is almost impossible, unless you can hand over a large amount of cash, I don't know if this is the case elsewhere and I would be interested to hear from other shooters if this is so. :hmm: