A good day on the crows

WelshMike

Last Sunday I had a check around a few of the farms I shoot on to make sure the crows were behaving themselves...all quiet. Went to check a 45 acre field that sits away from my other ground, this was also devoid of wildlife but there was a 35 acre maize stubble field covered in crows and about 150 geese (pinks). Unfortunately this isnt ground I shoot on. I decided that as it was 2.00 p.m I would head off home. I made a couple of phone calls Monday, found out who owned the ground and made a call. I introduced myself, told the gent I shoot next door and asked if it was ok to shoot this field...No problem, help yourself.... :good: . I popped over later that day to introduce myself and was given permission to shoot the rest of the farm which is circa 400 acres.

Work has been hectic lately but as I have been doing some extra hours my boss kindly let me have Wednesday off. The only issue is that I hadnt had a good look at the ground so was going in "blind" which isnt ideal. Got to the field about 7.00 a.m and set up in a hedge in between 2 oak trees. Set the full bodied crow decoys up in 2 groups one to my left and one to my right leaving a nice 15 yard gap in between for the crows to land in. All set up whilst it was still dark. The first couple came in whilst it was just starting to get light enough to shoot and landed in the tree above me...first crow down.

The first couple of hours were pretty hectic with 50 or so down by 9.30. The century came at 12.15 and I managed to shoot until about 3.30 when proceedings ended for the day on 129 (mainly carrions with a few rooks and jackdaws).

A few geese did come into the field but never close enough to get a shot. I took some max game steel (36 grm no 1s) just in case. As some geese were coming in I unloaded my lead shot and loaded the steel to find that they landed a few hundred yards away. The next crows that came in received some steel as I forgot to swap ammo....expensive crow shooting at this point :lol:

All in all an absolutely cracking day with some great shots executed and some easy ones missed (as always). A happy shooter and a happy farmer.

Thanks for reading

129%20crows%2009.12.15_zpshidfnpbl.jpg

A cracking day indeed! some new land too, excellent :good:

Good read mate congrats on new permission. :good::good:

Brilliant day mate and a cracking result on new permission , doesn't get any better :)

Cheers boys

job well done mike,a nice stack of blacks.

Well done Mike some good shooting there

Well done Mike and great news on the new permission, a cracking result all round

Thank you kindly gentlemen

amaizing result welshmike, welldone,

Thank you kindly sir

Good for you buddy, 400acres is not to be taken lightly too!

Cheers U. That takes me up to about 2500 acres. Fortunately I only tend to take on new ground when the rest of it is under control...so this has worked out well (famous last words :lol: )

Well done Mike, great report and result . Nine out of ten for presentation , and some more ground to shoot . I would buy a lottery ticket this week ??????

Cheers PC. I am unsure how to step up to the 10 out of 10 though...If I starred in the pic like you do I would loose marks for being ugly and also lack of a suitable tash :lol: I like the lottery idea :good:

Nice shooting indeed. Well done.

Cheers mate....not sure the corvids liked it much though :lol:

Top shooting mate

Thanks mate

Great result. That's a top day 100+ crows and new land too

Cheers for your kind words

This mite sound a noddy qeustion but what do you do with that many dead crows?

Not a noddy question at all bud. I spread the crows along about 150 metres of hedgerow out of site...the will feed the local fox population or rot away. If I knew the field was going to be ploughed shortly I would have left them to be ploughed in.