Cult Film Favourites

Danger-Mouse

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But now we open the can of worms of what is a cult classic? Having recently argued with someone this very point I remain loyal to the idea that a cult classic is one that had a theatrical release which did not do much business, didn't do much awards wise, yet over time won a following based largely on word of mouth recommendations

This. There are many many classic films but not many cult classics by comparison, but some long lost classics can gain a cult following, usually rediscovered by the next or later generations.

Two of my favourite cult films are Deep Rising and Electraglide in Blue. Others could be Paris, Texas, or any film starring Harry Dean Stanton; one of the most underused, underestimated and undervalued actors in Hollywood.

But now we open the can of worms of what is a cult classic? Having recently argued with someone this very point I remain loyal to the idea that a cult classic is one that had a theatrical release which did not do much business, didn't do much awards wise, yet over time won a following based largely on word of mouth recommendations

I largely agree with that definition but here`s what Wiki has to say on the matter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_film

"A cult film, also commonly referred to as a cult classic, is a film that has acquired a cult following. Cult films are known for their dedicated, passionate fanbase, an elaborate subculture that engage in repeated viewings, quoting dialogue, and audience participation. Inclusive definitions allow for major studio productions, especially box office bombs, while exclusive definitions focus more on obscure, transgressive films shunned by the mainstream. The difficulty in defining the term and subjectivity of what qualifies as a cult film mirror classificatory disputes about art. The term cult film itself was first used in the 1970s to describe the culture that surrounded underground films and midnight movies, though cult was in common use in film analysis for decades prior to that."

Wiki also has a list of what the author considers cult classics. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cult_films

I think, on the whole, most of the films people have listed here are pretty good examples. The only one that leaps to mind as not a cult classic are The Godfather trilogy (sorry Figgy)

Pulp fiction,

Resovoir dogs,

Space oddessy 2001

Scar face,

Straw dogs

Deliverance

Star Wars

Lock stock

Pink floyd" the wall"

Kill bill

Zulu

And many more ( already mentioned)

And of course Withnail and I, " we demand more booze " lol lol Cuban carrots etc lol

Atb

Flynny

Edited by flynny