Is older better ?

Harnser

Hi

Lot depends on what you want it for shooting looking good or rugged reliability

Most guns now are built down to a price not up to a standard

The wood can never be of the quality we have used and wasted it

Me I like nice looking guns it dosent help my shooting 😋

Personally think you can't beat the handeling and balance of a nice English ss from about 1920

Although for shooting clays and high birds a long barrelled ou is the tool

Value for money any of the new ones compare to the masses shooting ability and I doubt there's much in the £0......£3000 bracket in difference

It's your sport and half the pleasure is in using a gun you enjoy owning and like handeling

Just my thoughts

All the best

Of

Now what shall I have next 😚

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clay shooting in the 1950-60-70 was mainly DTL, sporting shooting was rarely seen .In 1961 I bought a brand new Belguim Browning B1 o/u trap for the then pricly sum of £140 Browning models on the market at that time were the A1 for £112/16s/3d ,A2 £122/14s.3d, B2 £146 .Then Berretta and Franchi had only one model each on the English market

The Belguin Brownings then were good the quality went down when they were produced elswhere, my B1 served me for several decades with no trouble and I sold it for four figures .

Feltwad

OF after your post next you should have a 1920's best London Side by Side with tastefull engraving and a nicely figured bit of dense timber to help with the balance. Quick to point and lively.

Did I mention I'd just found a 1920 webley one of the last hand built ones 😋

B565DCA5-1CCB-4F88-83FD-C0E5728436D1_zps

Not a best but very pleasant

Edited by Old farrier

Clay shooting in the 1950-60-70 was mainly DTL, sporting shooting was rarely seen .In 1961 I bought a brand new Belguim Browning B1 o/u trap for the then pricly sum of £140 Browning models on the market at that time were the A1 for £112/16s/3d ,A2 £122/14s.3d, B2 £146 .Then Berretta and Franchi had only one model each on the English market

The Belguin Brownings then were good the quality went down when they were produced elswhere, my B1 served me for several decades with no trouble and I sold it for four figures .

Feltwad

Im liking the sound of this, my newest shotgun is a 64 Berretta !

The word "BEST" is used very freely in the shotgun world, Many Shotguns at the turn of the century were made a work tools for Farmers and the like and fine for their needs others went upmarket a bit and produced the top of the range mods to these guns like car makers do today and a few made top end guns made just for you from start to finish

So how do we really define the word "Best" by today's standard is it only the Purdey or Boss guns that are bast or any gun say priced over £10,000 or £20,000

i would never buy a new gun

1. its bound to go wrong early on
  2. not as well finished as older guns
  3. i like to feel that there is always history behind it..

my mate is totally the opposite...........he would never have a 2nd hand gun...........he HATES the idea that someone else has touched it and used it.....he will always say NO if someone wants to try it on the clay range........and he moans like **** if it gets wet or has a splash of mud on it in the hide..........a right pain in the rear end.........thats why i dont shoot with him anymore............

Arre but can you expect others to buy a gun without those modern super updates that mean you cannot miss anymore, therebe Gold Triggers, Back bored tubes, removable chokes, very expensive designer chokes, fancy sights, chrome barrels inerds, shock absorbers, Adjustable combe and so on

Did I mention I'd just found a 1920 webley one of the last hand built ones

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=f500df3f394581d8f59fbe0c73d3367d&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=329610&p=2994598&md5check=99662395f2ecbb1f9c93e86fed3ef8e8&isRte=1,B6nXayd9mu,true,false,i9Yfnsndg5Q');//]]></script> B565DCA5-1CCB-4F88-83FD-C0E5728436D1_zps&&0

Not a best but very pleasant

That looks very nice OF

Arre but can you expect others to buy a gun without those modern super updates that mean you cannot miss anymore, therebe Gold Triggers, Back bored tubes, removable chokes, very expensive designer chokes, fancy sights, chrome barrels inerds, shock absorbers, Adjustable combe and so on

Crikey how old are you?

All of those have been around for ages!

• 2 weeks later...

Looked at an eell today new £5500 the wood to metal was shocking and the recoil pad did not fit !!! This was a new gun, I wasn't in the market to buy but was passing the time of day, dear oh dear beretta , Chris on here a while ago posted that prices are quite high for old guns, well I think we know the answer now, the new ones even at £5500 are very poor indeed.

My guns are

1978 aya no4

1979 aya no4 best quality boxlock

1979 beretta 301

1986 beretta 303

1987 beretta 686 20g 26"

1987 beretta 686 20g 28"

1992 beretta 303 field deluxe

1993 Remington 1187 premier trap

Edited as cannot spell

Edited by sishyplops

I have three low to mid range English side by sides built between 1907 and 1925-ish. I've just bought a brand new Browning 525 Sporter and in my opinion it doesn't disgrace itself in any way in their company in the cabinet. Guns - other than the very best - have always been made down to a price, not up to a quality. Of course, I won't be around in a hundred years to see which of them are still going then. Incidentally I think the 525 will almost certainly have more shells put through it in the next 5 years than thre other three put together have seen in their entire existences.

I really don't look at how good the wood Is or metal fit.Even the over-all build quality. The crow's are not too fussed either. As long It's a safe gun to use, who cares?

I have been lucky enough to own browning-Winchesters and beretta shotguns mostly older ones. But now I have a yildiz semi auto and an old Baikal o/u and very happy with them.Turkish gun makers have some really good budget guns that other makers, just can't compete with and definitely probably never will.

Looked at an eell today new £5500 the wood to metal was shocking and the recoil pad did not fit !!! This was a new gun, I wasn't in the market to buy but was passing the time of day, dear oh dear beretta , Chris on here a while ago posted that prices are quite high for old guns, well I think we know the answer now, the new ones even at £5500 are very poor indeed.

My guns are

1978 aya no4

1979 aya no4 best quality boxlock

1979 beretta 301

1986 beretta 303

1987 beretta 686 20g 26"

1987 beretta 686 20g 28"

1992 beretta 303 field deluxe

1993 Remington 1187 premier trap

Edited as cannot spell

You've got some gems there sishy, real gems.

Older pre first world war is better still.

To be honest as much as I like them I do not do enough clay shooting to warrant one , I do need a new game gun however .

Plenty of good 687EELLs about, thats as good as it gets in my book. Dont like the fit then a well looked after B125 or B425 will do. I am a Beretta man but handled a 425 grade 6 sideplate not long ago in 20 bore, lovely gun with an outstanding finish.

A