drunk driver

armsid

Banning a driver does not stop them from driving again. A four times banned driver (for drink driving, then driving whilst disqualified) took the lives of my 14 year old son and his friend. The driver had received his fourth ban only 3 weeks before. I'm not sorry to say that the driver also died at the scene.

If you get caught drink/driving, then you should receive a ban. IF you are caught driving whilst disqualified, then a long term prison sentence should be mandatory. It may not stop the person from driving again when he/she is released, but at least other's would be safe when they are locked up, as would have my son and his friend.

I will add that I have personally reported 3 drivers who were driving whilst intoxicated/banned.. Two I knew, and the other staggered out of a fish & chip shop and straight into his vehicle.

steve,

gosh I could not imagine anything worse....all best to you and yours.

Just make killing someone when driving under the influence murder because really that's what it is.

If you knowingly get in a car when drunk then that is premeditated in my eyes.

I followed a DD over the Pennines on an a road ( Snake or Woodhead pass, can't remember which giving a running report on where she was. It was a lady of mature years, she had wet herself, taken out various traffic barriers and also tried to drive off again having destroyed the front of the car.

Vince & Steve, i cannot begin to imagine what you both have been through.

Freemasonry.

If you knew anything about it (truly) you wouldn't say that. Sorry for going off topic, but comments like that from people who know zilch, and probably have a chip, really get my goat. (if said with tongue in cheek, then sorry)

Edited by tonker

Banning a driver does not stop them from driving again. A four times banned driver (for drink driving, then driving whilst disqualified) took the lives of my 14 year old son and his friend. The driver had received his fourth ban only 3 weeks before. I'm not sorry to say that the driver also died at the scene.

If you get caught drink/driving, then you should receive a ban. IF you are caught driving whilst disqualified, then a long term prison sentence should be mandatory. It may not stop the person from driving again when he/she is released, but at least other's would be safe when they are locked up, as would have my son and his friend.

I will add that I have personally reported 3 drivers who were driving whilst intoxicated/banned.. Two I knew, and the other staggered out of a fish & chip shop and straight into his vehicle.

I can't imagine how terrible that must be for you! :unhappy::unhappy::unhappy:

Most drunk drivers I have seen in Court are quite pathetic and are battling an addiction that has taken over and is destroying their lives. I raise that not out of sympathy but as a matter of how widespread an endemic alcohol abuse is. I still find it ironic that globally small fortunes are spent attempting to prosecute the illegal drugs trade but with no obvious result and yet the most abused and dangerous drug is licensed, taxed and everywhere.

I would have thought by now that technology would have caught up somehow e.g. regular boozers required to have an in car breathalyser. I did see something on tomorrow's world years ago that was supposed to be the start of the development of a device that cuts the ignition if the driver couldn't blow a clean breath specimen,

Pistol p, on 05 Feb 2016 - 07:40 AM, said:

Freemasonry.

If you knew anything about it (truly) you wouldn't say that. Sorry for going off topic, but comments like that from people who know zilch, and probably have a chip, really get my goat. (if said with tongue in cheek, then sorry)

It might be wide of the mark - it might not. I know personally - not heard from a man in a pub etc. - of one idiot in Bolton who was in the Magistrates for other matters including driving without due care and attention. Following a Mags trial, he was acquitted on all counts. His Solicitor said in defence of the driving matter - "What can I say" and threw up his hands. I did wonder how this piece of justice came about. One of my in laws knew the family - "Freemasons" was his explanation. I dismissed it, but could not offer any other explanation

Go figure???

Most drunk drivers I have seen in Court are quite pathetic and are battling an addiction that has taken over and is destroying their lives. I raise that not out of sympathy but as a matter of how widespread an endemic alcohol abuse is. I still find it ironic that globally small fortunes are spent attempting to prosecute the illegal drugs trade but with no obvious result and yet the most abused and dangerous drug is licensed, taxed and everywhere.

I would have thought by now that technology would have caught up somehow e.g. regular boozers required to have an in car breathalyser. I did see something on tomorrow's world years ago that was supposed to be the start of the development of a device that cuts the ignition if the driver couldn't blow a clean breath specimen,

+1 Sums it up a treat!

They should be a zero tollerance,why cant people just take a cab or bus? I know for a fact that if i have a small bottle of beer (dont drink often) i am impaired but would probably pass breathelizer.But no way should i be behind the wheel.

Is the simple reason.

They should be a zero tollerance,why cant people just take a cab or bus? I know for a fact that if i have a small bottle of beer (dont drink often) i am impaired but would probably pass breathelizer.But no way should i be behind the wheel.

I'm not a fan of the zero limit because (1) absolutes end up catching people out, not catching the core offenders (2) the legal limit is low - it's a pint of lager top in the real world and (3) the core offenders who are a danger to people are not the one pint lager top drinkers; the hardcore dangers are the alcoholics and binge drinkers, so then why criminialise everyone else or the someone who wants half a shandy?

Why not put absolutely clear, loophole -free penalties in place, that are hugely punitive, and allow no wiggle room from judges - drive over the limit more than once, injure someone in the act, or drive whilst disqualified, and the car gets crushed /sold, you get a mandatory sentence with no suspension, and a big enough fine to ruin you. No more "I drove after a bottle of bells because I ran out of fags", 6 months suspended sentence malarkey.