Thinking of getting a .17 HMR and need some advice.

NickB65

Loved mine until I found better things far better things at that

Windy with poor terminals

After. 22lr comes the small centrefires

Absolute piffle, there are plenty of opportunities after .22lr when the HMR comes into its own and a centrefire is superfluous,.

Just because you don't get out enough and find those situations it doesn't mean others don't.

I have a lot of rifles and calibres, because I have a use/need for them all, I'm not a collector, if I didn't need them I wouldn't have them!

Edited by Dekers

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolute piffle, there are plenty of opportunities after .22lr when the HMR comes into its own and a centrefire is superfluous,.

Just because you don't get out enough and find those situations it doesn't mean others don't.

I have a lot of rifles and calibres, because I have a use/need for them all, I'm not a collector, if I didn't need them I wouldn't have them!

Good point, hmr definitely has its uses.

Not a great fan. Neither are the former owners of the 460 17hmr's on guntrader.

Fortune I am sorry but your logic does not stack.

On Guntrader there are as I type 459 .17 HMR guns for sales which includes new and s/h; there are also 644 .22 LR and 686 .243. You may not be a fan and that is fine but your conclusion that just because there are 459 for sale the owners are not happy does not make sense..... following that logic the .22 LR and .243 are even less desirable and a 12 bore o/u shotgun is despised as there are thousands for sale.

It's interesting just how divisive HMR threads (eventually) become, a bit like cable threads on hifi forums! :lol:

Simple truth is that it is a tiny little calibre of high velocity which makes for a useful medium range small vermin control round. On a still day a reasonable shot should be able to take a rabbit at 150 to 200 yds with one every time or a crow at 150 yds. That makes it more useful in some ways than a 22LR especially where the distance cannot accurately be determined. For those of us who use rangefinders, I'd argue that for rabbiting a good shot with a 22LR on a still day could or should be able to bowl a rabbit over up to 150 yds with ease and a lot more silently to boot.

Loads of urban myth and interweb folk-lore nonsense has sprung up mostly from those new to shooting who claim kills at miraculous distances but as a tool, most responsible vermin controllers or hunters I know wouldn't use one much over 150 to 200 yds on small quarry. In winds...forget it (I'm not a bad shot but I know that at 150 yds say in a gusty day it's a waste of time playing "guess the impact point"). Ammo had been contentious to say the least, and unlike 22LR, it does require more thorough cleaning to keep accuracy.

Those are the pros and cons as I see them. A useful tool for longer range vermin control in the right conditions whose most useful asset is that range estimation is less important within MPBR confines than that of 22LR. By comparison, 22LR used with range finders is just as capable for small quarry (for a decent shot), is quieter with subs & mod, cheaper to shoot and lower maintenance.

Despite claims to the contrary, HMR does ricochet. I've heard it many times making me wonder how many times it's happened where I haven't heard it, especially when using 20g hollow points. The ballistic tips, perhaps much less prone. Its a dangerous thing to point anyone to wards a calibre for "safety" grounds when all rimfires ought to be treated with equal respect in terms of assessing every shot for things like ricochet potential, decent backstop, proximity of public paths etc. For that one time your HMR ricochets and catches someone 100 yds away, it's not much of an excuse to offer "well the FEO said it was safer than 22LR". One of my personal bugbears when people talk about the HMR!

I would not recommend one as a primary foxing round. I just think that's unethical but that's my personal view and no-one has to agree with it. I use a .223 for fox. HMR makes a useful stand in if nothing else is to hand, and within reasonable ranges. Within 100m I'd take WMR every day of the week over HMR for fox.

they noisey and the amo is alot more dear 500 rimfire £45 winy subs 500 17 hmr £125

And Hornet costs more and is noisier than HMR and .204 more than Hornet, etc, etc., what is your point?

A .22lr and a HMR are not the same, the HMR has distance, accuracy energy and stopping power advantages over the .22lr.

If I need what my HMR offers I take it out, if my .22lr is adequate I take that out.

It's interesting just how divisive HMR threads (eventually) become, a bit like cable threads on hifi forums! :lol:

Simple truth is that it is a tiny little calibre of high velocity which makes for a useful medium range small vermin control round. On a still day a reasonable shot should be able to take a rabbit at 150 to 200 yds with one every time or a crow at 150 yds. That makes it more useful in some ways than a 22LR especially where the distance cannot accurately be determined. For those of us who use rangefinders, I'd argue that for rabbiting a good shot with a 22LR on a still day could or should be able to bowl a rabbit over up to 150 yds with ease and a lot more silently to boot.

Loads of urban myth and interweb folk-lore nonsense has sprung up mostly from those new to shooting who claim kills at miraculous distances but as a tool, most responsible vermin controllers or hunters I know wouldn't use one much over 150 to 200 yds on small quarry. In winds...forget it (I'm not a bad shot but I know that at 150 yds say in a gusty day it's a waste of time playing "guess the impact point"). Ammo had been contentious to say the least, and unlike 22LR, it does require more thorough cleaning to keep accuracy.

Those are the pros and cons as I see them. A useful tool for longer range vermin control in the right conditions whose most useful asset is that range estimation is less important within MPBR confines than that of 22LR. By comparison, 22LR used with range finders is just as capable for small quarry (for a decent shot), is quieter with subs & mod, cheaper to shoot and lower maintenance.

Despite claims to the contrary, HMR does ricochet. I've heard it many times making me wonder how many times it's happened where I haven't heard it, especially when using 20g hollow points. The ballistic tips, perhaps much less prone. Its a dangerous thing to point anyone to wards a calibre for "safety" grounds when all rimfires ought to be treated with equal respect in terms of assessing every shot for things like ricochet potential, decent backstop, proximity of public paths etc. For that one time your HMR ricochets and catches someone 100 yds away, it's not much of an excuse to offer "well the FEO said it was safer than 22LR". One of my personal bugbears when people talk about the HMR!

I would not recommend one as a primary foxing round. I just think that's unethical but that's my personal view and no-one has to agree with it. I use a .223 for fox. HMR makes a useful stand in if nothing else is to hand, and within reasonable ranges. Within 100m I'd take WMR every day of the week over HMR for fox.

I would rarely consider my HMR past 150 yards, personally I don't see it as a 200 yard everyday pest control tool. Others may, that fine!

Like for like over the .22lr it will always be more accurate, and as for 150 yard .22lr shots, the HMR will win hands down every time for accuracy and repeatability, the HMR is far more accurate at those distances, even in the wind, the .22lr is shoot and hope it lands in the same field at that distance with a bit of wind, far worse than HMR for wind drift! http://www.federalpr...ts/rimfire.aspx check out the 10mph wind drift, you will find the HMR performs better than the .22lr at all distances, and at 150 yards the HMR is considerably better than .22lr.

Why do people persists with this PRIMARY/DEDICATED fox calibre business? If your primary fox shooting is round the barns, stable block, chicken coops, peoples back gardens, etc just what is wrong with a HMR (rimfires) and why wouldn't they be your PRIMARY foxing round?

If you want to snipe them in the next county use the appropriate tool, who has ever said a HMR is the best for 200 yard foxes? Around 100 yards, perhaps a hint more is where I would generally stop with the HMR on fox, but that can only ever be a generalisation, the situation, weather, land, specific location etc etc always determine every single shot. Anything 200 yards or more I would almost always use my .243, in my view the best fox calibre going for Distant foxes.

What I don't understand is why so many view the HMR from their own specific viewpoint, and spout off why it was no use to them as all encompassing Gospel of why it is awful, and nobody else should ever buy one. People who have no use for a Hornet or a .308 etc don't spend their lives telling the world they are useless and you shouldn't buy one!

The HMR has its issues, but it also has its uses!

good.gif.pagespeed.ce.PoYRIVsMjL.gif

Edit

For Clarification, my comments are not all aimed in your direction! :good:

Edited by Dekers

Here's a chance for those 200 yards HMR shooter's to show there worth. Shooting rabbit size targets...

Pigeon watch meet at Catton..http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/329168-pw-rifle-shoot-weekend-11th-12th-june-2016/

I've actually shot my HMR at 600 yards at Bisley, I did eventually get it on the target, but...........

The .17hmr always gets a mixed response. I decided to go for one over .22lr but am now selling it for a .22lr

i love the .17hmr

Flat shooting taking range estimation out of the equation for varmint shooting to about 120m.

Ballistic tips reduce ricochet

Wide range of rifles makes produce rifles

Less wind drift

Ammunition easy to come across

I don't like

Exceeds indoor range velocity

Ammo is less diverse in brands and options

Ammo is more expensive and some people report problems with its

Can't silence it fully

Can destroy meat if not head shooting

My reason for selling is so I can get a .22lr to use at indoor ranges, other wise I would keep it.

Every firearm has its use and sometime people need to make a compromise to get close to what they want.

Think that the post has become derailed from the original question of price of ammo £12 to £15 per 50, and cleaning- some do some do not. I do every time it is used, use wipe out and nylon brushes, 1-2 shots and it's back on after cleaning. No issues with accuracy.

Regards

Here's a chance for those 200 yards HMR shooter's to show there worth. Shooting rabbit size targets...

Pigeon watch meet at Catton..http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/329168-pw-rifle-shoot-weekend-11th-12th-june-2016/

I hit the 256 yard almost every time last year but later on discovered my sights were 10" high at 50 yards lol

I hit the 256 yard almost every time last year but later on discovered my sights were 10" high at 50 yards lol

Can't wait to see your new toy

The thing is there are better tools for longer range rabbits than prove practical for 22 lr

Better things for fox and rabbit in a one gun outfit

And way better choices for crows that will very frequently fly off after comming back to life when downed with a hmr

All this I have seen

Despite Internet claims 200 yards rabbits are a bit of a prayer shot with a hummer. If you try it you should chose a time so still there is fogg but then you won't be able to see 200 lol

I would rarely consider my HMR past 150 yards, personally I don't see it as a 200 yard everyday pest control tool. Others may, that fine!

Like for like over the .22lr it will always be more accurate, and as for 150 yard .22lr shots, the HMR will win hands down every time for accuracy and repeatability, the HMR is far more accurate at those distances, even in the wind, the .22lr is shoot and hope it lands in the same field at that distance with a bit of wind, far worse than HMR for wind drift! http://www.federalpr...ts/rimfire.aspx check out the 10mph wind drift, you will find the HMR performs better than the .22lr at all distances, and at 150 yards the HMR is considerably better than .22lr.

Why do people persists with this PRIMARY/DEDICATED fox calibre business? If your primary fox shooting is round the barns, stable block, chicken coops, peoples back gardens, etc just what is wrong with a HMR (rimfires) and why wouldn't they be your PRIMARY foxing round?

If you want to snipe them in the next county use the appropriate tool, who has ever said a HMR is the best for 200 yard foxes? Around 100 yards, perhaps a hint more is where I would generally stop with the HMR on fox, but that can only ever be a generalisation, the situation, weather, land, specific location etc etc always determine every single shot. Anything 200 yards or more I would almost always use my .243, in my view the best fox calibre going for Distant foxes.

What I don't understand is why so many view the HMR from their own specific viewpoint, and spout off why it was no use to them as all encompassing Gospel of why it is awful, and nobody else should ever buy one. People who have no use for a Hornet or a .308 etc don't spend their lives telling the world they are useless and you shouldn't buy one!

The HMR has its issues, but it also has its uses!

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=f9a7b9b9e42e4752e1a873e52e3ce90b&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=330345&p=3000563&md5check=576a4e7195cc51c99187cbf8110de37a&isRte=1,B6nXayd9mu,true,false,tcON8eHnTiM');//]]></script> good.gif.pagespeed.ce.PoYRIVsMjL.gif&&0

Edit

For Clarification, my comments are not all aimed in your direction! :good:

Point taken about the use of the word "primary" when referring to a foxing calibre but the point remains...I would not use one on fox except (as you suggest) when close up. My preference, no justification needed. I just believe that there are better tools when out and about than a puny little 17 grain bullet for taking out fox but yes, headshots blah blah, or close chest shots will do for one. At close range, a 22LR used to be a common place tool for fox, and still is for some. I'd just rather make sure with a 53grain .223 bullet. I never carry a firearm about on the off-chance I stumble across a fox (or anything else) on my travels, but set out with a specific job in mind, and have shot the HMR pretty extensively. I found it good for rabbits, but had the odd crow simply fly off (222 or 223 much better tool for longer distance crow) when squarely hit.

I don't consider shooting at 150 to 200 yds sniping into the next county :lol: . A lot of my shots are taken at between 100 and 200 yds distance, hence my preference for the CF. For closer work on small quarry, HMR I found fine.

As you say, it's all about using whatever you have within its limitations and choosing an appropriate tool for whatever environment you're shooting in.

Not arguing about the 22, but I've no problems with 100 yd rabbit using a 22LR and with the right ammo would argue that the 22LR at that distance can be every bit as accurate as an HMR with the right rifle/ammo combination (at least it was when comparing mine...the Ruger 77/22 delivered 2cm groups at 100 yds using Eley subs on a still day when I did the comparison...about the same grouping as a 16 inch barrelled savage HMR using Hornady 17g). Off-hand, the HMR was a more useful tool as it took range estimation out of the equation...as I mentioned, the MPBR is one of the big attractions and recommendations when using HMR.

I always enjoy reading the HMR threads....

I have a Annie 1517 hmr, I also have a .22 and a .222 which I hardly use and a slot for a WMR which I haven't filled yet....

For me it's a perfect rabbiting rifle, yes it's no good in windy conditions but on a good day it's great... All the rabbits I shoot go in the food chain so are head shot, I feel confident at taking head shots at sensible ranges 100-150 with my scope set on 8x....

As already said by others there is a place for this rifle, it's a tool and if used correctly a bloody good one..

Tedly

I have a Annie 1517 hmr, I also have a .22 and a .222 which I hardly use and a slot for a WMR which I haven't filled yet....

For me it's a perfect rabbiting rifle, yes it's no good in windy conditions but on a good day it's great... All the rabbits I shoot go in the food chain so are head shot, I feel confident at taking head shots at sensible ranges 100-150 with my scope set on 8x....

As already said by others there is a place for this rifle, it's a tool and if used correctly a bloody good one..

Tedly

Yes Tedly, you don't shoot too bad with it! .

Tedly

The .17HMR is a game changer for serious rabbit shooters. :D

Point taken about the use of the word "primary" when referring to a foxing calibre but the point remains...I would not use one on fox except (as you suggest) when close up. neither would I My preference, no justification needed. I just believe that there are better tools when out and about than a puny little 17 grain bullet for taking out fox but yes, headshots blah blah, or close chest shots will do for one. At close range, a 22LR used to be a common place tool for fox, and still is for some. I'd just rather make sure with a 53grain .223 bullet. I never carry a firearm about on the off-chance I stumble across a fox (or anything else) on my travels, but set out with a specific job in mind, and have shot the HMR pretty extensively. I found it good for rabbits, but had the odd crow simply fly off (222 or 223 much better tool for longer distance crow) when squarely hit.

I don't consider shooting at 150 to 200 yds sniping into the next county :lol: . A lot of my shots are taken at between 100 and 200 yds distance, hence my preference for the CF. For closer work on small quarry, HMR I found fine.

As you say, it's all about using whatever you have within its limitations and choosing an appropriate tool for whatever environment you're shooting in.

Not arguing about the 22, but I've no problems with 100 yd rabbit using a 22LR and with the right ammo would argue that the 22LR at that distance can be every bit as accurate as an HMR with the right rifle/ammo combination (at least it was when comparing mine...the Ruger 77/22 delivered 2cm groups at 100 yds using Eley subs on a still day when I did the comparison...about the same grouping as a 16 inch barrelled savage HMR using Hornady 17g). Off-hand, the HMR was a more useful tool as it took range estimation out of the equation...as I mentioned, the MPBR is one of the big attractions and recommendations when using HMR.

:good:

Wow what a thread.....

Thank you for all the input and I am looking forward to getting a .17 hmr to complement the .22 LR. I agree with virtually everyone as all rifles and shotguns have their limitations and purpose. For me the .17 hmr will be the perfect rabbiting tool where I just can not get close enough with the .22 but the .22 will always have a place in the rack as it is such a fun tool to use.

Being more arable based farm foxes are not such an issue bar when they predate on my wild pheasant and partridge and then they will get what they deserve but ONLY if I am confident in a clean kill.

Thank you again for your input. I wont start the debate on what ammo and much has been said already and the 17 grain Hornady seems to be popular so that is what I will start off with. :friends:

Wow what a thread.....

Thank you for all the input and I am looking forward to getting a .17 hmr to complement the .22 LR. I agree with virtually everyone as all rifles and shotguns have their limitations and purpose. For me the .17 hmr will be the perfect rabbiting tool where I just can not get close enough with the .22 but the .22 will always have a place in the rack as it is such a fun tool to use.

Being more arable based farm foxes are not such an issue bar when they predate on my wild pheasant and partridge and then they will get what they deserve but ONLY if I am confident in a clean kill.

Thank you again for your input. I wont start the debate on what ammo and much has been said already and the 17 grain Hornady seems to be popular so that is what I will start off with. :friends:

The 17g V-Max types seem to work best for most people!

I have a cz452 and love it. I use it for everything from squirrels round the feeders to crows and it is also our summer fix cub caliber of choice. We use 223 or 243 most of the time but the 17 is much quicker to move about in the truck when Cubs are charging about in the lamp and is also quieter on still summer nights, I would happily shoot a half grown cub at up to 100yds, and have done to good effect

I have taken 4 foxes with my .17 hmr in the last month each at sub 70 yards with no runners it is a great round and is recognised for close range fox,for such a small round it causes a lot of damage and due to its velocity very hard hitting..a very good round when you don't need a gun to fire a thousand yards and personally for me a better round than a .22lr