EU In or out

old'un

And how many pages is this thread likely to be by June?

ATB!

Good question, and I suspect the answer will be that it will slow down a bit before a big ramp up in the few weeks before Independence Day.

Most people will have already made up their minds one way or another, and those who were wavering will be less than happy with Cameron's scare tactics. Trying to bully the British people is not the best advice he's ever received, and could well be his undoing.

Let's hope so.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing to do with the industrial revolution and the string of new inventions and manufacturing methods we gave the world then?

Anyhow Greeks who reside here won't get a vote and we are well aware how well Greece has done out of the eu. In so deep you can't get out now

Let's not let facts get in the way of another guilt trip please.

Off the top of my head, trade and human rights which merges with not being to do with the EU - 1951 rings a bell for some reason.

My issues with the EU are sovereignty, democracy and immigration. I'm not convinced there is an economic argument one way or the other and it's a side issue in my opinion, much as it should have been with the Scottish referendum. If it were a trade block rather than a political project then my views would be different.

Not strictly true on the human rights point. The EU has given us the charter of fundamental rights which in some ways is arguably more effective than the echr (which is of course a council of Europe instrument) the charter protects a raft of social and economic rights (like our rights as workers, trade unions, healthcare etc...) which the echr does not it because it is built on civil and political rights.

Anyone, as I said it was light relief.

http://news.sky.com/video/1654161/immigration-figures-misleading

It would be nice to know what the true situation is but there's no way of knowing.

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-03-10/up-to-20m-passports-not-being-checked-properly-in-uk/

In my opinion, we need to get out asap and put proper controls in place.

Unfortunately I don't think this government has the political will to do anything about it whether we're in or out and Labour's already proved they actively encourage it so I think it's all too late.

Enoch was right.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GOD, take us out and lets try to put the GREAT back into BRITAIN. Maybe then we can start to feel proud to be British again!!! Maybe we can also get our fishing fleet and merchant navy back. AMEN

Its not keeping the GREAT in Britain we need to worry about, particularly since there are quite a few spots affected that are not part of Great Britain!

I would be more concerned with keeping the UNITED in Kingdom.

just watched the video from Danger Mouse gopod old nigel our next pm?

Not so sure....although I like our Nigel I watched Boris on the Andrew Marr show this morning and I was quite impressed, Marr grilled him on key issues and Boris came back with good honest answers for both in and out of the EU argument. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03lp54g

There are two issues that irritate me about the 'Remain' campaigners and this is one of them.

They talk as though the UK would have by necessity to follow the Norwegian model. That is poppycock. Norway exports far more to the EU than it imports. It needs the EU more than the EU need it. So the EU can make it jump through hoops, pay into their budget and accept EU rules. The UK imports far more from the EU than it exports. The EU will not want to lose that trade;- cars from France, Germany, Spain, Italy and other countries are a major source of income for EU industry. France supplies dairy and meat products and Spain sends thousands of tonnes of fruit and veg to the UK every month. The EU needs access to UK markets and so the UK will be able to negotiate a deal on their terms, unlike Norway.

The second thing is the way that Call me Dave talks about the UK being stronger inside a reformed EU. Where is that reformation going to come from? He has already gone begging and been sent away with a fraction of what he promised. The best the EU could offer is that they will accept that if a majority of countries reject an EU proposal it will be shelved or amended. Think about it. That confirms that the EU have been over ruling governments and bringing in policies without their consent. Just as we said. And, now that more voting rights have been given to smaller, more needy countries that means the EU would be more able to brow beat them to support unpopular EU policies. The EU is not going to reform. Not in a good way.

The EU appears more like a ship with no engine and no rudder every day. Even on the subject of the migrant crisis, which should be fairly easy to at least agree a strategy on, nothing is happening. Nothing ever happens, nothing gets done, no agreements emerge on any subject.

That will be its downfall and its inevetable. When you have people like Jean-Claude Junckter as EU President you know there is no real chance of things ever changing for the better. I don't know what it is about these European politicians. They seem to be able to create a political gridlock and then somehow feed off it. He's not the first, we have had a sucession of them, all doing much the same thing. I don't know whether its divide and rule or what it is.

Edited by Vince Green

just saying :lol::lol:

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=154aadf606fd9ba093f35c43246eb01a&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=330963&p=3018979&md5check=1a56fe5b2de5e9985c97a554a79d5b68&isRte=1,B6nXayd9mu,true,false,0ho8fEVAjBQ');//]]></script> euexit.jpg&&0

Well that is a load of bull ****! The head of JCB wants out, the ex head of the BCC says most businesses would be better off out! So they have that wrong for a start!

Plenty of people under 50 want out, in fact quite a few European leaders are facing dissent within the ranks of their party members and populace wanting out.

Edited by secretagentmole

Amusing but only because like much of the Remain campaign it is lacking in facts.

Chris' post isn't about facts, it's about getting a reaction by putting material or comments out there that he knows will irk many of the posters on here. Sadly it appears to be his regular type of contribution now.

It's a shame that someone should seek to be quite as calculatingly disruptive instead of trying to enter into reasoned discussion, but I guess that is the easy path to take.

I have thought once or twice he is trying to fill the void left by KW in being an agent provocateur, but he really doesn't have the wit or style.

Edited by grrclark

Chris' post isn't about facts, it's about getting a reaction by putting material or comments out there that he knows will irk many of the posters on here. Sadly it appears to be his regular type of contribution now.

It's a shame that someone should seek to be quite as calculatingly disruptive instead of trying to enter into reasoned discussion, but I guess that is the easy path to take.

I have thought once or twice he is trying to fill the void left by KW in being an agent provocateur, but he really doesn't have the wit or style.

Yes I`m aware of that. It`s why my own comment was very brief.

Not actually lying is he though ? UK may be stronger in a reformed eu, trouble is it will never be reformed. He conveniently misses that bit out.

I agree 100% with you and it reinforces the question, "why should he still want to stay in the EU knowing (like we do) that he will never get the reforms that we need".

First reform' for me would be to get accounts published to show what skulduggery is going on.

Bunch of crooks in my opinion, and they will be found out when it inevitably goes t**** up.

Edited by Good shot?

Actually, you bought them from the bigger, stronger African tribes/cultures who raided the interior for them.

I understand it very well. You get off your butt, go catch some slaves, sell them on for profit. At the time it was just another business, the sort you had to get up and go do, not just sit in your mud hut and wait for them to come to you (which seems to be most of the third worlds work ethic).

Well big buisness is one thing but as a small buisness plauged by stupid new rules made by those without a clue and big buisness lobiests I can tell you for sure that we won't do so bad at all

Big companies are actively seeking trade and competition control through a corrupt eu

Does anyone think the rest of the eu will want to servearly restrict trade with the biggest CUSTOMER in Europe? That is us by the way we buy in far more than we sell into Europe

Consider if you buy more than you are paid is it a good idea to continue - on the seller's terms? Now if we exported more than we bought in its different hence Germany with its cars etc. Why do you think they are playing the fear game they and France etc are just a noisy little toy dog barking from fear

The big thing here is sovereignty a common market was all well and good but to loose our sovereignty is what all this actually amounts to

You think all those in the British based car companies that are owned by other nations will shut? The aerospace industry work and plants we have will shut? NO for one it's us that's buying the cars and you can't take a big supplier out of any chain for many years

Aroespace was actually a very big buisness for us in other markets out of Europe before the eu got involved in negotiating our deals for us

For the most basic level. Do you carry on buying from a nation that won't buy from you? We can get cheaper lamb from new Zealand than we can France and you know what they produce it best at another time of year and culturally and historically are links are far closer