Inform FEO before open house view?

Andy_Roo

As title says, will be holding some open house viewings in the very near future, my cabinet is hidden away but am a little concerned that snooping eyes may stumble across it (I know what I was like when viewing to buy house).

Should I inform FEO or just stay close to peeps viewing and not let them go off by themselves?

Any advice welcome!

Cheers

Andy

I had my gun cabinet in a large understairs cupboard in the house we recently moved from, the cupboard was also locked.

The estate agents preferred us not to be in the house whilst viewings took place so prospective buyers could speak freely.

The agents commented on how many people wanted to look in the understairs cupboard because it was locked, the agents had been told it held my company's equipment and I was required to keep it secured.

Thanks for that info Phil, just in the early phases of getting house ready but keen for advice on those that have been there before.

Cabinet is in a cupboard in house but not locked, could always hide it with an old dust sheet!

That's all I didn't with mine. No one ever moved or noticed it

Its an interesting point. I have had my house on the market and just accepted an offer following half a dozen or so viewings (no open house). I didnt give my cabinet a second thought and I rate myself as responsible gun owner. It no different to inviting friends, family or neighbours in and giving them the guided tour. Its bolted to the wall as is my ammo safe and no one can find the keys (even me half the time :unhappy: ) Its location was cleared with my FEO on moving in. I must admit either my wife or me were present during the viewings but not within ear shot of the buyers or estate agent.

If your nervous chuck a sheet over it as mentioned. Just dont make it a big deal of it.

The biggest problem I have is buying a house. Im constantly looking at the layout thinking where do I discreetly put my cabinet. Its one of the main things I look for when buying ;)

Mine is in a cupboard which is specifically for my gear. Digital lock on the main door, then the gear and cabinet to contend with. To get to the cabinet you have to move LOADS of fishing gear and loading gear so it's not in plain sight even if the door were open. If I buy a house, I want a proper strong room built with steel lined walls etc so I can have the ROOM as my cabinet. Not that I plan on an arsenal, Just the security of a cabinet that can't be ripped off the wall. Can put my bed in there too :lol:

I'm mystified by the question. Secure storage is simply to prevent unauthorised access to firearms. What does it matter if a prospective buyer sees your cabinet?

Prospective buyer may be a drug peddling scumbag who knows from experience of burglary what a cabinet looks like AND contains! Quick call to his soldiers to the locality of said house, and the fact its occupants are out for the day! Or it could just be paranoia :whistling:

Also you are told to put your cabinet OUT of plain sight! Allowing access to it therefor puts it IN plain sight, there as going against protocol surely?

Prospective buyer may be a drug peddling scumbag who knows from experience of burglary what a cabinet looks like AND contains! Quick call to his soldiers to the locality of said house, and the fact its occupants are out for the day! Or it could just be paranoia :whistling:

Also you are told to put your cabinet OUT of plain sight! Allowing access to it therefor puts it IN plain sight, there as going against protocol surely?

And what use is a shotgun to a drug peddler? If he (or she) is found in possession of stolen electronics or jewelery they get a slap and 10 hours community service which they ignore, but if found in possession of a firearm they go down. Also, assuming our drug peddler actually knows how to fence out a shotgun to the criminal fraternity, he or she will find that a Baikal is worth the same as a Krieghoff and rather less than a decent camera.

If you're really worried, stick your guns in the back of your car until the viewers have all been through. You could also legally leave them with a shooting buddy for up to 3 days. My feeling is that if you involve the police they'll insist that you store the guns either with them or an RFD.