Cemeteries/Graveyards. How close to shoot from?

sitsinhedges

As long as none of your shot crosses the boundary onto cemetery land you will be ok, but I'd try not to shoot close to it if it became apparent there were people paying respects, for the simple reason someone will undoubtedly complain.

Our local cemetery is over run with rabbits to the extent that people have taken to erecting small enclosures made of chicken wire and the likes around the actual grave to prevent rabbits eating the flowers. The local council then refuse to cut the grass on the actual grave, but refuse to employ anyone to do rabbit control either. It's a lose lose situation all round.

If its a pretty rural cemetery then there won't be much visitors through the day, as mentioned before try and set up so you can see what's going on and not shoot while visitors are in, ditto when a burials going on, however no one really notices unless you are raining pellets onto them. I've done burials in a rural churchyard here whilst they are in full swing of the pheasant drive over the wall

Interesting.............My garden backs onto a large cemetery which is always busy, mostly with visitors and at least usually one funeral a day. I have a 6' fence at the back and sides of my garden, the council have a 6'6" railing type fence at the back and maybe a foot from my fence.

The 'cemmy' is packed with all manner of corvids, woodies and tree rats, all obviously untouchable oh to be able to shoot there. Never going to happen though.

When I'm on paper targets in my garden (couple of times a week) I can't be seen and there is hardly any noise. (silenced PCP) so it bothers no one. The only time I stop is when there is a funeral just the other side of my fence (maybe less than 20' away) and that is because the pellets hitting my backstop make more noise than the gun.

In quite a few years this has worked well, no one is disturbed or alarmed. Not a single complaint has ever been made, as long as this continues to work I'll carry on.

Edited by Sha Bu Le

As long as none of your shot crosses the boundary onto cemetery land you will be ok, but I'd try not to shoot close to it if it became apparent there were people paying respects, for the simple reason someone will undoubtedly complain.

Our local cemetery is over run with rabbits to the extent that people have taken to erecting small enclosures made of chicken wire and the likes around the actual grave to prevent rabbits eating the flowers. The local council then refuse to cut the grass on the actual grave, but refuse to employ anyone to do rabbit control either. It's a lose lose situation all round.

When I worked for 'one of the largest pest control companies' - I had an instance just like this! - I was a surveyor, so had to recommend and quote them a job to remove rabbits, shooting wasn't favourable by the Parish council and was vetoed before (I was told whilst with the manger walking the site), but there were holes emerging from the graves etc... and they had to act due to the visitors complaining it was a little distressing...

In the end we gassed them (Phostoxin), twice - and had great results doing so. A sad way of doing it, but very effective. May be worth mentioning this type of treatment to your cemetery if needed.

I would talk to the priest and explain the crop damage and loss to the farmer, and with the hushpower shoot fist light till they stop returning at approx 10.00 that would possible keep them off all day. The other method would be to flag off with black bin liners and shoot the other end with the hushpower . Good luck.

I would talk to the priest and explain the crop damage and loss to the farmer, and with the hushpower shoot fist light till they stop returning at approx 10.00 that would possible keep them off all day. The other method would be to flag off with black bin liners and shoot the other end with the hushpower . Good luck.

That's pretty much my intention now, I'm gonna get some white rubble sacks on sticks to try and move them a bit further down the flight line. It's not worth the possibility of upsetting someone who is grieving.

There's a field that backs onto a cemetery near me and I've seen several people decoying on stubble with their hide against the cemetery wall (shooting away from the cemetery).....me personally I wouldn't bother for the potential hassle it might cause, guessing they didn't have any though!

The cemetery opens at 8am so I decided to try and get there for sunrise and grab an hour or so.

I ended up a bit later but was set up for 7am with the hypaflaps whirring around on my magnet. The pigeons were making a beeline for them but with the cemetery and a footpath to my right and bright sunshine emerging from the left so a narrow shooting alley I did manage to bag 19 with the Husher before they dried up at about 8am.

I sat it out a bit longer but never saw anyone in the cemetery, the hedge was low so I could stand up and look across occasionally. Could have had a few more in better circumstances but I'm not complaining after the decoying drought of the last few months.

20160304_091903_zpszomnw2su.jpg