How far away from a road

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go down to bisley on the end of the 600 yard range you will have to careful that you don't get run over from the cars on the road . I think you have to be at least 50 feet from the centre of a highway or by way and not causing fear or worry to highway users .

Harnser

Shooting near highways (roads and carriageways)

In England & Wales using a firearm near a highway is not prohibited – but it is an offence without lawful authority or reasonable excuse to discharge any firearm within fifty feet of the centre of a highway/carriageway IF in consequence a user of the carriageway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I know pheasant shoots where u stand on the road to shoot.

It's only if u cause fear or alarm or stop traffic it becomes an issue. In practice obviously depends on the road and u haveing a good reason

Unless that's a private road it's not something I would be doing.

This is VERY important.

I was pigeon shooting two weeks ago and stopped to allow dog walkers pass by .

Engaged in conversation with one who was under the impression that you need to be 500 yards away from a highway , road or public footpath !

I wonder how many times an armed response team or helicopter have been alerted by concerned members of the public?

In England & Wales using a firearm near a highway is not prohibited – but it is an offence without lawful authority or reasonable excuse to discharge any firearm within fifty feet of the centre of a highway/carriageway IF in consequence a user of the carriageway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

This.

+1 But I've never seen a situation where I would need to set up that close to be road.

Unless that's a private road it's not something I would be doing.

I can think of quite a few local estates where a gun/s will either stand on a public road/verges or walk down it as a walking gun.

DM has it correct, if u have a reasonable excuse and not causing fear or alarm not aproblem

Just need a bit of common sense applied.

As with all things legal give Basc a bell and double check if ur in any dount

Champion that was answered consistantly there, I god knows were i got 50yrds from better safe than sorry though

An FEO once told me that a piece of land would probably be unsuitable for FAC use (on a closed ticket) because "It is illegal to discharge a firearm within 50 yards of a road". I explained to him what the law ACTUALLY said, and pulled up the relevant law on my computer.

So don't be surprised if you got it wrong - after all, it was his job to know the law, and yet he had no idea !

An FEO once told me that a piece of land would probably be unsuitable for FAC use (on a closed ticket) because "It is illegal to discharge a firearm within 50 yards of a road". I explained to him what the law ACTUALLY said, and pulled up the relevant law on my computer.

So don't be surprised if you got it wrong - after all, it was his job to know the law, and yet he had no idea !

Why am I not surprised

I know pheasant shoots where u stand on the road to shoot.

It's only if u cause fear or alarm or stop traffic it becomes an issue. In practice obviously depends on the road and u haveing a good reason

Yep here also it's not uncommon and I can't see a problem with it

It's not nearly as bad as moving cows

This absolutely correct, however certain FLOs including one in particular in Suffolk do not agree with the Police Guidelines and unless the firearm is discharged at least fifty feet from the carriageway (meaning edge of road, lane, highway etc, not centre of).

The one in Suffolk has apparently threatened to confiscate any gun he sees without a gunslip if within fifty feet of the highway.

(He ought to get out at night and grab a few people lamping while driving around the lanes here, firing from the back of a moving pick-up or out of the sun roof of a moving car).

The Guidelines (which is just what they are - guidelines) are open to interpretation by the FLOs (and courts) but the actual paragraph means that a gun can be fired actually on the centreline of a highway, as long as it doesn't harm, frighten or slow the passage of a person.

Edited by OffAim

This absolutely correct, however certain FLOs including one in particular in Suffolk do not agree with the Police Guidelines and unless the firearm is discharged at least fifty feet from the carriageway (meaning edge of road, lane, highway etc, not centre of).

The one in Suffolk has apparently threatened to confiscate any gun he sees without a gunslip if within fifty feet of the highway.

(He ought to get out at night and grab a few people lamping while driving around the lanes here, firing from the back of a moving pick-up or out of the sun roof of a moving car).

The Guidelines (which is just what they are - guidelines) are open to interpretation by the FLOs (and courts) but the actual paragraph means that a gun can be fired actually on the centreline of a highway, as long as it doesn't harm, frighten or slow the passage of a person.

As far as I can see it makes no difference whether they agree or not. These instances are covered by section 161 of The Highways Act (1980). It`s a legal definition, not a guideline. As long as a user of the carriageway is not injured, interrupted or endangered then any case against the shooter would/should be thrown out of court.

This :good::good::good:

As far as I can see it makes no difference whether they agree or not. These instances are covered by section 161 of The Highways Act (1980). It`s a legal definition, not a guideline. As long as a user of the carriageway is not injured, interrupted or endangered then any case against the shooter would/should be thrown out of court.

Unfortunately courts may side with what an FLO says.......If in his opinion, 'it was incorrect use of a firearm etc etc.....'

Much the same as a police officer's opinion on a person's driving.

Well said !