I won't shoot that!

dob

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I am truthful when I started shooting I shot everything you were allowed to shoot ( or tried to ) with little consideration for the species I was after , weather it was a Wader , Wildfowl , Vermin or Game , although game were far and few between , having said that in the early seventies we had a lot of Grey Partridges which found there way in our game bags fairly regular.

Now , the desire to shoot everything is long gone, and now I get all the sport I want from pigeon shooting and wildfowling , with pigeon shooting I must admit I do go a lot but they are mainly 3 to 4 hours sessions rather than all day like I done in the past and what don't go to the game dealer the rest go to the hotel on the estate where most of my shooting is done .

With wildfowling we have club bag limits and our own self imposed limits , and although everything on the list is sporting quarry I no longer shoot Snipe , Coots , Moorhens and last year I didn't shoot any Teal. and maybe one or two more species might be added to my leave alone list over the next year or two .

being an island we dont get half the species you do. aside from rats I only shoot what Im going to eat, If on the mainland I wouldnt shoot jays or hares. jays are important in a woodland and hares are just noble and an important part of my childhood. I am very happy to take woodcock but dont bother with snipe although both are reasonably plentiful here

Edited by islandgun

Must admit if it's vermin I'll shoot it with out a thought , farmers all ready told me not to shoot game ie pheasant partridge to which I respect , peeves me when you I see that poachers have been around wonder if I'd get away with them being vermin

Edited by bullet1747