Knife thread

oowee

Sadly Trevor Ablett died last October.

There are several cutlers still hand making knives etc within Sheffield

This is one

http://www.steelcitycutlery.com/pocketknife.html

Sad news about Trevor Ablett - I hadn't heard :( The Management has one of his hand-made folders, and a lovely thing it is.

Here is another maker still going in Sheffield:

Stuart Mitchell

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad news about Trevor Ablett - I hadn't heard :( The Management has one of his hand-made folders, and a lovely thing it is.

Here is another maker still going in Sheffield:

Stuart Mitchell

I have a Stuart Mtchell knife forgot about that one, someone on here made me a sheath for it years ago. I would love one of his carving sets. Edited by rimfire4969

Some say I have a problem... :)

All the fixed blades have been handled by myself..

All used in some form or another.... always have a blade of sorts on me (usually a SAK)

post-69550-0-58724200-1460120693_thumb.jpg

Although since looking at the makers in Sheffield I have had to buy myself a nice hand made pocket knife below

post-69550-0-71396100-1460120795_thumb.jpg

:):good::yes::yahoo:

Edited by jeffjjack

Can't see it, personally...

Some more of mine - as before, all my own work, except for the two type 18 swords.//<![CDATA[

(function(){var g=this,h=function(b,d){var a=b.split("."),c=g;a[0]in c||!c.execScript||c.execScript("var "+a[0]);for(var e;a.length&&(e=a.shift());)a.length||void 0===d?c[e]?c=c[e]:c=c[e]={}:c[e]=d};var l=function(b){var d=b.length;if(0<d){for(var a=Array(d),c=0;c<d;c++)a[c]=b[c];return a}return[]};var m=function(b){var d=window;if(d.addEventListener)d.addEventListener("load",b,!1);else if(d.attachEvent)d.attachEvent("onload",b);else{var a=d.onload;d.onload=function(){b.call(this);a&&a.call(this)}}};var n,p=function(b,d,a,c,e){this.f=b;this.h=d;this.i=a;this.c=e;this.e={height:window.innerHeight||document.documentElement.clientHeight||document.body.clientHeight,width:window.innerWidth||document.documentElement.clientWidth||document.body.clientWidth};this.g=c;this.b={};this.a=[];this.d={}},q=function(b,d){var a,c,e=d.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");if(a=e&&!(e in b.d))if(0>=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c<d.length;++c)a=a.concat(l(document.getElementsByTagName(d[c])));if(0!=a.length&&a[0].getBoundingClientRect){for(c=0;d=a[c];++c)q(b,d);a="oh="+b.i;b.c&&(a+="&n="+b.c);if(d=0!=b.a.length)for(a+="&ci="+encodeURIComponent(b.a[0]),c=1;c<b.a.length;++c){var e=","+encodeURIComponent(b.a[c]);131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0<a.width&&0<a.height&&0<a.naturalWidth&&0<a.naturalHeight||e in b&&a.width>=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=ajax&section=topics&do=quote&t=334113&p=3039207&md5check=46bd81386d6fe3e5d6c931047af1ac24&isRte=1,B6nXayd9mu,true,false,3QmH2KBGD4M');

//]]>Lear_weapons_2.jpg

Fair doos, I feels better now knowing I'm normal... although now you've got me thinking about swords!!!

I have a strange feeling like I NEED a sword!

Obviously I do!!

Bones61 does make a lovely knife :D

Zorro? Perhaps...

Rapiers_1.jpg

Maybe a bit early for Zorro - actually made for a production of Romeo and Juliet a few years back, so late Elizabethan period. Swept-hilt rapiers, based around a pair of repro Schlager blades, hilts and scabbards by your humble servant again.

Properly weighted for a rapier - makes you use proper rapier style, not just swish it around, plus they sound great on stage 😎

Edited by CaptainBeaky

Nice tanto Capt. Beaky. :good:

Thank you, kind sir :)

The blade took 7 attempts to get right - edge-quenching is a real pig! One of the early tries cracked so many times between coming out of the quench and getting into the tempering oven that it resembles a comb!

Worth it though, when it comes it of the etch with a lovely hamon showing :D

The saya was also good practice before making the one for the daito above. Couldn't get magnolia wood for a sane price, but tulipwood (Yellow Poplar) is a very close relative, and very similar in use.

Edited by CaptainBeaky