Pigeon Shooting Explained

Fair play to you for putting in the effort into make the film. I think many of us that shoot pigeons regularly have our own different ways and methods that we learnt through experience. But for novices to the sport the advice is not too far out in my opinion.

edit to say, perhaps i missed it in the video, but leaving the shooting site as you found it is also very important. Only footprints and feathers should be left behind!

Edited by aga man

Fair play to you for putting in the effort into make the film. I think many of us that shoot pigeons regularly have our own different ways and methods that we learnt through experience. But for novices to the sport the advice is not too far out in my opinion.

edit to say, perhaps i missed it in the video, but leaving the shooting site as you found it is also very important. Only footprints and feathers should be left behind!

You did miss it! I thought that too when I was proof watching, so you will see a caption to say that plastic wad makes a mess and at the end to always pick up your cartridges and leave things as you found them.

I could pick you up on so much, srs, but I will refrain. I have probably mentioned this before, but I take issue with a clear novice trying to explain pigeon decoying.

I believe you skipped the fundamentals.

Just a couple of things.. No.5 shot will not smash up pigeons. When does osr start to look like grass?

I could pick you up on so much, srs, but I will refrain. I have probably mentioned this before, but I take issue with a clear novice trying to explain pigeon decoying.

Just a couple of things.. No.5 shot will not smash up pigeons. When does osr start to look like grass?

Really, why would you think he's a novice, I for one think you must be a novice at pigeon shooting with your antics with a loaded gun in the hide with another shooter, give the lad some slack he is good enough at what he does and is trying to help others, you spoil this forum with you spiteful comments there's no need, this forum welcomes all and in that regard we should encourage one another and try and get on, if you find that difficult just don't post ever again.

Have just watched that after getting back from walking the dog. Really enjoyed it thanks, went through all the basics and will give newcomers like me a chance to remember what we've seen when we are out in the field. Liked your little bag of useful gear.

Cheers,

Mick

This is good srs, I think as Aga man says we all develop our own methods but we need people like you to put the effort in to develop the sport for others. Its too easy to over complicate what is basically a simple process that develops into an art but this is a great start well done.

I could do with one for fox shooting so if anyone knows of something let me know.

How amusing. An experienced pigeon shooter can tell a novice a mile off. The way srs talks about things gives it away. He asked for feedback, and this I have given. I shall post what I like. Anyway, I'm off to put a 'cookery explained' video on YouTube. I can't cook.

Really, why would you think he's a novice, I for one think you must be a novice at pigeon shooting with your antics with a loaded gun in the hide with another shooter, give the lad some slack he is good enough at what he does and is trying to help others, you spoil this forum with you spiteful comments there's no need, this forum welcomes all and in that regard we should encourage one another and try and get on, if you find that difficult just don't post ever again.

There is always a danger when you post anything and ask , "what do you think ?", that someone is going to give you a response you don't really want to see.

srspower has had a go at producing something that is nearly impossible , a " pigeon shooting explained" video, many have tried and loads of books and articles have been written on the subject.

It would be easy to criticise every one of these past offerings.

There is no real science to pigeon shooting, no right or wrong way to do some things, much is learnt from experience and can vary throughout the regions, and the seasons of the year.

I don't think the video is perfect, but I respect the time and effort he has taken to produce it for a new shooter to watch.

We should respect this fact and if we do not want to make any supportive comments, then don't make any comments at all.

Hats off to SRS for producing this. As already mentioned, it's not perfect, but also as already mentioned, it's pretty impossible to produce such thing, given the complexity and variability of the subject matter.

SRS's enthusiasm is infectious and he clearly talks about his sport with a passion. It's clearly not scripted, he's talking off of the top of his head, as you would to a mate down the pub. This makes it very welcoming and accessible to all. It is what it is: a launch-pad to get the newcomer started, to ignite interest to find out more and build upon what he has spoken about.

Well done, Sir.

How amusing. An experienced pigeon shooter can tell a novice a mile off. The way srs talks about things gives it away. He asked for feedback, and this I have given. I shall post what I like. Anyway, I'm off to put a 'cookery explained' video on YouTube. I can't cook.

Loved the culinary you-tube video.............the fried cornflakes and pigeon marmalde were simply sublime ...........

Motty, this is a serious suggestion, why don't you produce a similar instructional video? It sounds like you have a lot of experience and knowledge to offer, that many would no doubt benefit from.

There is always a danger when you post anything and ask , "what do you think ?", that someone is going to give you a response you don't really want to see.

srspower has had a go at producing something that is nearly impossible , a " pigeon shooting explained" video, many have tried and loads of books and articles have been written on the subject.

It would be easy to criticise every one of these past offerings.

There is no real science to pigeon shooting, no right or wrong way to do some things, much is learnt from experience and can vary throughout the regions, and the seasons of the year.

I don't think the video is perfect, but I respect the time and effort he has taken to produce it for a new shooter to watch.

We should respect this fact and if we do not want to make any supportive comments, then don't make any comments at all.

Couldn't agree more

Srs power may be pretty good with a video camera but he is an inexperienced decoyer of pigeons. It would have been much better and more educational for others if he had gone out with an experienced decoyer who could have explained it all.

Whilst I am not decrying his efforts, only other novices would learn from this video. If that was the intention then fair enough.

Srs power may be pretty good with a video camera but he is an inexperienced decoyer of pigeons. It would have been much better and more educational for others if he had gone out with an experienced decoyer who could have explained it all.

Whilst I am not decrying his efforts, only other novices would learn from this video. If that was the intention then fair enough.

Please don't rib me too much! But lots of my subscribers asked me to make this and I thought it might be handy as a sticky for new shooters here? Let me know what you think :)

As you can see he points out in his first post that the video is intended for complete beginners.

I am not sure what makes a pigeon shooter "experienced", or "inexperienced" and am very suspicious of any that think they know it all.

Is it length of years shooting, regular ability to shoot large bags of birds, being a crack shot, or just doing things that we also do and agree with ?

I don't think it really matters too much what category we all fall into, as long as we can enjoy what we do and have consideration for other like minded people.

SRS,

Firstly, thank you for posting the video and well done for putting the time in to making it. It's clear that a lot of effort went into the production of the video. I know for a fact a few years ago I would have clicked reply a fair amount of times. 👍

Also, well done for having the ***** to put it on here to be scrutinised by the vast array of 'experience' we are lucky to have.

I've found in the past that teaching someone is Infact the best way to learn yourself; and with your current enthusiasm for the sport I have no doubt that soon you will be classed as an 'experienced' decoyer, too.

Top job matey!

Dave

Edited by WinchesterDave

SRS,

Firstly, thank you for posting the video and well done for putting the time in to making it. It's clear that a lot of effort went into the production of the video. I know for a fact a few years ago I would have clicked reply a fair amount of times.

Also, well done for having the ***** to put it on here to be scrutinised by the vast array of 'experience' we are lucky to have.

I've found in the past that teaching someone is Infact the best way to learn yourself; and with your current enthusiasm for the sport I have no doubt that soon you will be classed as an 'experienced' decoyer, too.

Top job matey!

Dave

Thank you Dave and all others who appreciated this video :)