Left handed novice, right eye dominant, what to do?

My wife (RH shooter with left eye dominance) uses one of these :

http://www.bullseyegear.com/bullseyepistol/product.php?productid=67&cat=2&bestseller

No idea where we got it from, was years ago

EDIT : regarding the gun, a lot of lefties use RH guns all the time with no issues. The stock bend, especially for a beginner, isn't going to make much difference.

Edited by robbiep

I have exactly the same issue, I did not know I had a 'problem' until I had been shooting clays for about 5 years with around a 60% average, so thought I would have a coaching lesson to see if I could improve.

That's when the cross dominance was spotted, got all sorts of advice, but the result was instead of shooting 'naturally' now I was over thinking each shot and my averages dropped to under 50%

Over time I just got used to addressing the target both eyes open, then as I swing through I half close my right eye. Averages now over 65% on sporting 85% on skeet , same for driven / flush shooting which I am happy enough with as I am not a competitive shooter

David

A friend of mine us keen to try shooting a few clays, he is right eye dominant but left handed. Should I get him to shoot right handed with one of my guns or borrow a left handed gun? This only for an hour or so to see if he likes it, all advice appreciated.

If they have never shot before shoot off the right shoulder,start as you mean to go on. It's much easier when the eye and the gun work off the same side.

As per thread, it's not for me, it's for a friend who wants to have a go.. If he likes it he will look into lessons one day I'm sure.

If I can help I will, I will only charge for clays and cartridges, not my time, but I would need to know where the person is based.

I am at Stevenage in Hertfordshire, if he is in a reasonable distance something could be worked out.

I also had that discussion a few times, as I am left (most of the time) eye dominant and right handed (well, most of the time, too)... at some point you need to decide on one side and stick to it.

In his book "shotgunning" Bob Brister mentions that most of the misses he saw from excellent shooters who shot with both eyes were when they were tired, surprised or a bit ill where their eye dominance decided to flip. So both eyes open is not necessarily a panacea.

So I half close my left eye when shooting; it's pretty automatic now, /however/ I noticed that shooting 'gun down' considerably helped my shooting; it turns out that having both eyes open /to start with when looking at a target/ is very helpful to the brain. I then close my eye as I mount the gun and shoot.

• 7 months later...

If you are shooting at static targets it doesn't matter if you close an eye to aim.

If you are shooting moving targets i.e. pigeons or clays you have to have both eyes open. Reason is with both

eyes you have what's knows as stereoscopic vision. This gives you depth and speed perception.

Checkout https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_perception

Not necessarily, my dad used to shut his left eye for years, until he bought a Hellis with a cross over stock, and shot successfully.

If you are shooting at static targets it doesn't matter if you close an eye to aim.

If you are shooting moving targets i.e. pigeons or clays you have to have both eyes open. Reason is with both

eyes you have what's knows as stereoscopic vision. This gives you depth and speed perception.

I close my eye to shoot moving targets, hit enough birds and clays to know it works.

i to have this problem, years ago my mate told me to shoot left handed, as you can imagine it did not feel right at all, so i just practiced mounting the gun at home and swinging it about, then started shooting off my left shoulder, you soon get used to it and if you persist you will get better over time, eventually i got as bad left or right handed :lol::lol:

but as i like to shoot gun down i went back to shooting right handed, the minute i mount my gun im pretty much where i want to be so my left eye closes and a second later the trigger is pulled :good::good::good:

Do you have any reference for that, apart from a completely boilerplate wikipedia?

From my reading on target acquisition, once the distance and speed is acquired, you don't really /need/ that information anymore. Shooting gun down with both eyes open then closing one eye /guarantees/ you get that information and prevents your brain 'flipping' master eye if you are tired, or if the light is slightly different or any other reason.

One reference is Bob Brister "Shotgunning: The Art and the Science"

Just learn to shoot under the dominant eye. It isn't really that difficult, particularly with a beginner who hasn't much to unlearn. A good coach could sort it in a few lessons. Terry's offer sounds pretty good.

David.

Please read the books on the subject. 'Dominant eye' is temporary, especially in men around 40 or so. Dominant eye /changes/. Deciding to change your shooting style to fit isn't going to be terribly useful if your brain decides next week to flip. Your dominant eye isn't even necessarily your 'better' eye, and it can change depending on the light, tiredness level or anything else.

1. Shoot with both eyes open and look at the bird. Think about it. If you point your finger at something you don't aim along it. Same with a shotgun.

I am sure that all the fancy add on sighting systems seen on shotguns may help in SOME clay disciplines but find an old gun and file off the fore sight and shoot with that and learn to instinctively put the pattern on the bird. Watch the demonstrations of shooting from the hip, they don't AIM along the barrel to do that.

2. As said , start by shooting off your right shoulder.

I am right handed, but when I played cricket I played left handed .... drove the opposition mad because they had to constantly change the field around :-) Have played golf both ways. Just takes practise, but starting from scratch it should not be that difficult.

Edited by Walker570

I experienced this with one of the son in laws. He is left master eye but right handed. He was an appallingly bad shot who was getting a sore shoulder and getting his face battered about. When I saw this and had a look at him I just told him to shut his right eye and realign his head on the stock. I turned him around more square so that he put the stock into his shoulder this stopped his face and shoulder getting battered about And the first time he applied this stance he shot 10\10 on a going away report pair. He was really chuffed and it made his day. You don't need a right hand gun just to see if he likes it but gun fit is all important to putting the lead on target. Have a look on YouTube for gun mount. Chris Baths has good videos. Be safe and think it through.